Are we in the Last Days?

revelette2

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 10:57 am
For what's worth or not, not everyone who is a Christian believes in rapture or "last days" nor do they believe some of the more harsh rhetoric which usually gets thrown out by conservative Christians. Also, it seems to me those who do not believe in any god or religious are more tolerant among themselves than of those who do believe in a god and/or religious book. As for myself, I used to believe every single word of present form of the bible, however, throughout the years, I suppose I have come to trust my inner voice on the matter.

In any case, I don't believe in the "last days" of the mainstream Christian belief. The entire Revelation (for the sake of argument just look at it as a academic question) is just that a vision to John full of symbolism to communicate with his fellow Christians without getting in trouble with the then current Roman leader who demanded worship of himself and persecuted Christians.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 11:43 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
just that a vision to John full of symbolism to communicate with his fellow Christians without getting in trouble with the then current Roman leader who demanded worship of himself and persecuted Christians.
It could be, but if we assume there is a God, it is only logical that there would be a finite period for this grand experiment. Who knows how long it runs, but at some point there has to be 'the last days'.

If there is no God then it's silly to even talk about them, it would be a pointless exercise.
revelette2

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 12:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
It is pointless to discus it here in any event. Just recall these three quotes (paraphrased): "he will come as a thief in the night"; "events which must shortly come to pass" and "the kingdom of God is within you."
Charlie4U

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 01:44 pm
The last days of something is here. Do you think it can be the last days of able2know?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 01:52 pm
Yes, we are in the last days. Of June.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 02:42 pm
@jespah,
Some are in their last days, but there are many who will be having their first day.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 08:00 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Just recall these three quotes (paraphrased): "he will come as a thief in the night"; "events which must shortly come to pass" and "the kingdom of God is within you."
So you're saying they came and went while we weren't watching?

But Roger that, it is within.
revelette2

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 09:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Like I said, I am not sure why this thread is in the political section but this is not the place to have such a debate about the contents of Revelation and it's meaning.

revelette2

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:04 am
@revelette2,
Anyway, I will just say about twenty years ago, I studied Revelation, I read a book full of scripture references which helped me form my beliefs. It is called "Worthy Is the Lamb" by Ray Summers. I understand not everyone believes the same and I am ok if no one believes what I believes or believes nothing at all. I will say I do not believe in the last days much less that we are in them now. Every time things happen, there are those who will start crying out, "Last days..." They've been saying it probably since Jesus Christ died on the cross. (or believed to have died on the cross)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:25 am
@revelette2,
Natural disasters are more common that destroys property and kills people than the 'last days.' Wars kill people too.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:08 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I understand not everyone believes the same and I am ok if no one believes what I believes or believes nothing at all. I will say I do not believe in the last days
That is certainly the right attitude to take about your beliefs.
Im not trying to do any kind of 'gotcha' on you or anyone else but do you think there is an 'end game' of any sort to this existence or does it just keep rolling along as it has forever?

Haven't read it but I'll look up that book you mentioned.
revelette2

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 06:14 pm
@Leadfoot,
I believe there is an end, I just don't believe in the rapture and all the rest. I think the end will come one day or night, we will be judged and sent to either place and that will be that.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 12:16 am
@revelette2,
I'll have to admit I am probably closer to the end than most on this site. But I dont think I am rapturous.
Charlie4U

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 06:55 am
@RABEL222,
I think the Last Days are referring to an age or system of things?
0 Replies

Freddie2

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 07:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Peter stated that people would be ungodly saying their is no God before they meet their end. But having removing a whole world? Only eight souls survived in Noah's last days.
0 Replies

Freddie2

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 07:19 am
@roger,
I heard it was 5 trillion. :-)
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 07:37 am
@Freddie2,
weve been in "the last days" since the second temple crash (About 2000 years ago).
Ya think someone is just having a joke or is seeking money to spend on lavish "lives for Jesus"?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 07:53 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I'll have to admit I am probably closer to the end than most on this site. But I dont think I am rapturous
But are you happy about it? As I get older I get a buzz just thinking about having that much life over with. And I had a great life, wouldn't trade it for any other but wouldn't give you a nickle to do it again.

I was amazed at the reaction I got from atheists, agnostics and theists when I mentioned looking forward to death. Atheists have some reason not to but if you are at least agnostic, I would think that the prospect of finding out one way or the other if death is The End would be appealing. Especially if tomorrow is just one more day in the nursing home.

I'd be like - Check me out, please!
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 08:00 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I would think that the prospect of finding out one way or the other if death is The End would be appealing
Thats why you never quite "got it" when ever we talked re: researching the presently unknowable.
(We usually seek, with as much passion, the "plan B" by which we can report back any NEGATIVE DATA)

Dying to find out about life after death seems kinda "terminally insane".

Who Ya gonna call?
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 08:09 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Who Ya gonna call?
What, you thought I just wanted to crow about it? No, it would be just for the personal satisfaction of knowing.

What don't I 'get'?