Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:57 am
@Smileyrius,
Good one!

NOW I get it.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:35 pm
@Leadfoot,
Too be truthful I dont think about the end of time or the end of me until it comes up on a site like this. It happens when it happens.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:38 pm
@Leadfoot,
But you might die and not know a thing about it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:43 pm
@RABEL222,
It'll happen when it happens, cause I'm living on borrowed time with all the health issues I've had and having. I feel good over 90% of the time, and I keep telling my wife I want to travel. No response.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 05:11 pm
Picking a name from history: Winston Churchill

His singular life had an enormous impact on the world in which he lived and even relatively educated people today (not many alas) know who he was.

A whole lot of people would love to leave a legacy remotely similar to Winnie's, but does dead Winnie care?

Who knows? I doubt it.

I do believe in an after-life, although not the one the Christians promote, but in that realm I think it's inhabitants will care what is happening in the one they left...at least in some way.

So, as much as I like the statement "When I die, so does the universe," I don't believe it is the case, or apropos.

Having said this, I don't believe Jesus is coming back, or that anyone will fly to Heaven in a Rapture. This may mean I am destined to burn in the eternal fires of hell, but I'm happy to take my chances.

PS: I do believe in the Four Horsemen. They are coming.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 06:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Yeah, but at least then I could stop think'n about it!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 06:37 pm
@Leadfoot,
One in nine people on this planet do not have enough to eat to have a healthy lifestyle. Even here in Silicon Valley, one of the richest regions on this planet, we have many who lack sufficient food.
What is the solution, if there is one?
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 06:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, but at least then I could stop think'n about it!

You're waiting for me to snap up the bait, aren't you?

hahahaha
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2016 07:20 pm
@roger,
Zzz z z z z z .

Damn, slipped off the hook again...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What does this have to do with the topic unless you are suggesting that one of the Horseman is already here?

What do you think is the solution though?

There is enough food and agricultural capacity in the world to feed it's entire population.

There are scores of generous nations sending food to nations suffering from famine.

In the US and even in Silicon Valley there are a host of social programs that would ensure everyone has enough to eat, if some of recipients didn't misapply the relief they receive.

Children being hungry in the US is due to abusive and utterly worthless parents.

If, as I contend, the generosity of the American people and those around the world is being skimmed and misused by the corrupt and the addicted, spending more is pissing down the well.

I would like anyone to show me a verifiable case where any family in America that is willing to avail themselves of social safety nets programs and (of course) to work, can't afford to feed themselves and their children healthy meals.

If providing the basics necessities to your family is your top priority, you will be able to do so in this country.

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
y'ever been in West Virginia coal country?? There are hills and hollows all with habitues and they live subsistance level. There are still examples of starvation that only get heard about after they are accidentally revealed by hunters or miners driving through washes to find clogged air shafts.

I was in New Irleans two weeks ago nd there are still scads of homeless who, through no faults of their own , they live on stale beignets and throw away dirty rice from restaurants.

They survive yes, but decent nourishing meals??
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
One in ten or 11.3% live in poverty in Silicon Valley. We are lucky, because we bought our home in 1952 when prices were reasonable, and we paid off our mortgage when I retired in 1998. Homes in our area now sells for about $1.7 million. Only people with the right skills working for the many high tech companies are able to buy a home here.
Because of Prop 13, our property tax is very low compared to new home buyers.
That's the one good thing about the high price of homes. The crime rate is relatively low in our community.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:53 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman your wasting your time. It dosent affect him directly so he dont care if a bunch of hillbillies or city homeless starve to death. And than there is the fact he saves money on taxes.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:56 pm
@farmerman,
Far be it from me to question your veracity, but would you be prepared to accept a similar statement from me as truth?

I asked for verification, not anecdotal twice removed observation.
Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:42 pm
Human agricultural sophistication reached the point in the early 17th century of being able to feed the entire population of the planet--that's 400 years ago. It has never been true that all humans have had enough to eat, and it has nothing to do with snide and vicious conservative stereotypes about irresponsible recipients of social welfare. It is a monument to individual greed and the natural rapacity of largely unregulated capitalism.
Charlie4U

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:49 pm
@Setanta,
It's called GREED. While food and crops are in storage bins driving up the price, it is spoiling and helping the rat population increase, all the while humans are dying from starvation. Giving this food away is actually the answer to supply and demand since food is a renewable resource.
Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:52 pm
The Chairman and former CEO of Nestlé went on record in 2013 saying that access to water is not a fundamental human right. Here is just one of the 266,000 hits that Google returned in under one second for this story.. He says that privatization is the answer to water shortages. I'm sure Nestlé will be happy to sell us the water. This is exemplary of the attitude of the boys in the $2500 Armani suits who are happy to see others starve or die from drinking contaminated water if they don't have the price of admission. There's plenty of good money to be made.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:55 pm
@Charlie4U,
That's easier said than done. Many third world countries lack the infrastructure even if food is delivered to their airports.
Food waste is prevalent in developed countries. Many supermarkets and restaurants in our area give excess food to food banks and nonprofit organizations that feed the hungry.
The biggest problem is insufficient food for poor families and their children. They cannot develop physically and mentally without proper nourishment. It's a mad cycle that exist even in the richest regions of the country.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 04:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Pick any country in Africa where there is famine.

Can you find any to which the West hasn't sent massive food relief?

Why doesn't it get to the starving people?

Corruption of the powerful.

In this country we have no such layer of banditry but we do have recipients of social programs who divert money given them for food to other priorities.

You and other may consider this bashing the poor but unlike you and them, I don't believe the poor to be noble and virtuous simply because of their economic status. Like any group of people they have segments that are virtuous and segments that are not.

None of you narrow-minded bleeding hearts can offer up even a shred of evidence that this nation's poor are all suffering from hunger (and not the BS "fear of hunger")

So why is this the case?

Because the virtuous poor, the majority, who receive public assistance spend it on the welfare of their families while the lowlifes don't.

So you expect me to believe there is something wrong with this nation because people who shouldn't have children won't feed them, no matter how much money the State provides them?

How about the all powerful State takes their kids from them? Are you OK with that?
0 Replies