How long does it usually take kids who don't go to college to become independent of their parents?

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm
So I imagine that just about everyone on here went to college. I also imagine that most of the people you know went to college, but just in-case you happen to know someone who didn't go to college, how long did it take that person to become independent of their parents?

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 02:44 pm
@prpinrni,
I have two brothers who did not immediately go to college - one is still dependent on my mother and he is over 50 (he has since attending some college but never got a degree). The other had moved out when he got married so I'd say he was about 27 he was independent and then when he divorced he moved back in at about the age of 40 - he just now moved back out on his own.

The other two of us who went to college from immediately graduating high school have been independent from about the age 22 or 23.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 02:45 pm
@prpinrni,
prpinrni wrote:

So I imagine that just about everyone on here went to college. I also imagine that most of the people you know went to college, but just in-case you happen to know someone who didn't go to college, how long did it take that person to become independent of their parents?

You seem to be ignoring that many young people make the military's different branches a career that offers security for one's spouse and family, compared to many a private sector job, college or no college.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 02:58 pm
@prpinrni,
It seems from my experience that people who don't go to college tend to be independent on their own much quicker than those who go to college. At least it was that way 20 years ago...
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:16 pm
@Foofie,
My brother that is over 50 still relying on my parents did go into the military - when he finished his stint he came back home and relied on them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:19 pm
@Baldimo,
I think it depends on the major you go into - if it is an employable major. I had a job within 3 months of graduating college, my brother similar.

The problem with many (not all depending if they gain an employable skill) is that the jobs without an education do not pay enough to be able to be independent. Now if you attend a trade school you can gain those skills to have a job that pays enough.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:31 pm
@prpinrni,
This all depends on culture, in many countries children do not leave their parent's home until they get married, regardless of college. In the US there is a greater tendency to leave home as soon as you are of legal age (regardless of college attendance).
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 04:45 pm
@Linkat,
You bring up an important point; the major in college makes a big difference on whether they can make a living.
Our son graduated summa cum laude, and also gained a graduate degree, but doesn't make all that much income even though he works for the University of Texas in Austin.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 06:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The difference is whether living at home is bring dependent or independent. Being independent while living at home means you pay rent and contribute to the household .
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 07:15 pm
@prpinrni,
Quote:
How long does it usually take kids who don't go to college to become independent of their parents?

People who go to college usually have more options of getting better paying jobs and careers. People who join the military are own their own the moment they join the military. After they get out of the military, they often have more options of pursuing a career due to their military education and life experiences. Usually in order for someone to become independent they will have to have marketable education, marketable skills, or marketable experiences. I guess you could marry into money or maybe win the lottery.
0 Replies

shelby78

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 09:16 am
@prpinrni,
I have a friend who never went to college and still lives with his parents - they don't seem to mind as he rents out their basement for $400/mnth. I guess it's a win-win for both!
0 Replies