GUY PROBLEMS

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 01:29 pm
I have been talking with a really great guy for about a week and I don't know if I should date him. He is amazing but I'm just not feeling this, I don't get excited when he texts, to be honest I get more annoyed. I have never been in a relationship before and I don't know if this is just the begining or if this just isn't gonna work. Please I need your opinion what should I do???

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 01:34 pm
@nadia165468,
Texting isn't really the best gauge of a relationship (though it does offer important info). If you know enough about him to say he's a really great guy, maybe worth going on a date with him and seeing what happens.

If you're just absolutely not feeling it, though, no reason to push it.
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 08:40 am
@nadia165468,
If you are not sure, then what is the harm in going out once with the guy? (Going out one time does not constitute dating, so you don't have to decide about "dating" him until you've been out at least once.)

But personally, if you feel annoyed as opposed to excited when he texts, then why would you even consider going out with him once?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:31 am
@nadia165468,
Has he asked you out?
Have you asked him out?

Have you met him in person?
nadia165468

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:15 am
@ehBeth,
no he hasn't asked me out yet but we are in the same school and we got to know each other from our common friend
0 Replies

nadia165468

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:18 am
@sozobe,
Thank you for your advice! I think I will give it a try and go out with him and see what happens Smile
nadia165468

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:22 am
@CoastalRat,
Thank you for your advice and you're right I should go out with him and see if it's worth it. You see my friends push me to go out with him since he's a great guy and well, I haven't dated anyone not even had my first kiss and I'm almost 15.
sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:04 am
@nadia165468,
Good luck! Remember that a date is not a commitment. Have fun, see what happens, and then see what you think of him afterwards and go from there.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:11 am
@nadia165468,
Texting is not a relationship...it's just incidental contact.

Being 15 yrs of age and not have had a romance is nothing wrong or behind. Sounds like your taking your time - a good thing.

Frankly if the texting annoys you, then perhaps you should actually meet and actually get to know one another. Texting is trivial and not an indicator of much.

Touch, seeing each other in the flesh, sharing opinions..feelings,,,seeing expressions...gasp ...kissing.....is/are where things are real and where certain chemistry is made and matters most.
sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:13 am
@Ragman,
She didn't say it was a relationship... just that she hasn't been in a relationship yet so she doesn't have a lot of context to figure out whether this has potential or not.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:20 am
@sozobe,
I'm not saying that this is or was a relationship. I was making a point (and trying to provide a little guidance) about texting itself, which as an activity, seems to be part of misconceptions of a lot of young people's (as well as older couples) activities.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 12:09 pm
@nadia165468,
nadia165468 wrote:

Thank you for your advice and you're right I should go out with him and see if it's worth it. You see my friends push me to go out with him since he's a great guy and well, I haven't dated anyone not even had my first kiss and I'm almost 15.

how do you propose to go out with him if he hasn't asked you out and you haven't asked him out?
sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 01:51 pm
@ehBeth,
"Talking" in this context pretty much means "we're mutually interested in dating but nobody has officially made the first move yet." It's reasonable for her to think that he'll be receptive if she suggests something. (That doesn't mean that he WILL be, just that it's reasonable.)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 01:57 pm
@sozobe,
I understand that.

Not sure she does.
sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 02:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, I'll let her weigh in. The main point to make is that "talking" is a specific dating stage, and the "how do you propose" question you asked doesn't really apply.

Perhaps you already know all of this, I didn't until fairly recently. I thought talking meant, like, talking, not, "We have exchanged contact info and we are definitely not just friends but we are not quite dating, even though that's implied and the natural next step unless something goes amiss in the talking stage."

It's more that she would take steps to AVOID going on a date -- since that's an expected next step if all is going well -- than that she'd have to proactively make it happen.
0 Replies

nadia165468

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:24 am
@sozobe,
Thank you so so much for your help! We have been talking and he is interested in going out with me, he is just waiting for me to find the time because my parents don't let me go out that much. He isn't talking with me to be my friend, we are talking so we can get to know each other and if we like where things are going I think we will be in a relationship.
nadia165468

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:30 am
@Ragman,
I know trust me I love dating someone so much more than texting, but my parents don't let me go out that much so it's a little bit difficult for me. But I will find a chance to get to know him personally and if things go okay I will keep talking to him. And you are so right because it's chemistry what we are missing and makes me feel uncertain if I like him that much. Thank you for your help! Smile
0 Replies

nadia165468

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:33 am
@ehBeth,
He wants to go out with me, but he is waiting for me to find the opportunity because my parents don't let me go out that much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:43 am
@nadia165468,
nadia165468 wrote:
He isn't talking with me to be my friend, we are talking so we can get to know each other and if we like where things are going I think we will be in a relationship.

There we go. Thanks for the confirmation/ additional info, and good luck!
nadia165468

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:23 am
@sozobe,
Thanks Smile
0 Replies