Milosevic: West provoked war in Balkans

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:04 am
Aris wrote:
What's up everybody's ass in here today?

I might ask same question Smile However, you might be right on this one. This debate is becoming too nervous and too anxious. So, let's calm it down a little.
Beer? :wink:
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:18 am
MOU - in very many ways I agree with you, as you know, and hope you'll read the link I posted on the period after 1945, covering especially the civil wars which abated after Tito's split with Stalin (1948) and ended with Stalin's death (1953).

For the record, my own ethnic ancestry is East Prussian. I don't object to having Russians living in my grandmother's house in Koenigsberg (Kaliningrad today), because my relatives had no business in Kursk, either. I do object to having Kant claimed as a Russian philosopher and part of the cultural heritage of the current inhabitants, which is why I have some sympathy for the Greeks' opposition to use of the Macedonian heritage by Slavs. As you say though it's unlikely that the US position will change, so I'll join you for a beer and hope the others here will join.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:27 am
I can agree with you and understand your sentiment, but....nobody in world thinks that Kant is Russian philosopher, if you know what I mean Wink All I'm saying is that if there are some idiots (and idiots are everywhere) it's not that important.
Macedonian officials never claim Greek province called Macedonia to be theirs. As well as Putin is not claiming that Kant is Russian philosopher and that's the most important thing Smile
0 Replies

Aris

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:31 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
I might, but I think it's much faster if you re-read your posts.

Cut the smartass comments. You accused me of harboring "imperialist desires" so the onus is on you to explain the accusation or at the very least demonstrate its validity, else, aside from being rude, you're also full of crap.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
"Greeks like you" - some groups and "powers" in Greece, that were among minority (luckily) in the world that was either supporting or at least protecting serbian agression on Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia - maybe due to traditional Serb-Greek friendship, and maybe, who knows, due to hope that Serbs will later "behave" if world goes further to chaos and Greece claims Macedonia is theirs.

FYI, Serbia and Greece's traditional alliance prooooobably has something to do with both peoples being Christian Orthodox, just like Turkey has always had a hand in the Balkans with their Muslim brethren. Unless this fact escapes you. Furthermore, let's not talk about Serbian aggression without mentioning Croatian and Muslim aggression as well, eh.

At any rate, you go ahead and pigeonhole everyone as you see fit. You have obviously demonstrated your bigotry and rudeness while failing to demonstrate absolutely anything about me.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
My comment is not racistic. My comment is a bit clumsy and is not specific enough. That happens sometimes when you assume that people will stick with arguments and will not try to find every single chance to offend.

Really. And I though it happens when someone is bigoted. You still have failed to show where I was racist whereas I succintly pointed out YOUR racism.

Furthermore, demonstrate how I have not "stuck with the argument", else, yet again you are full of it. And show where I offended ONCE, much less "every single chance". If anything, you have been quite offensive yourself and if you cannot back up these accusations, it is perfect proof of it.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
If you want wider explanation - that comment was sarcastic comment about your posts and opinions in such thread.

You were sarcastic about my posts and opinions eh. Thank you for admitting to rude behaviour.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
By your posts Macedonia is clearly Greek, all until HofT (that might be Bulgarian but it's irelevant actually) told something that is opposing my opinion, but IS ALSO OPPOSING YOURS. Then you rushed to greet his opinion, despite the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with claims Greeks have about Macedonia Rolling Eyes

I'm trying hard not to laugh here with this.
1) What area do you mean by "Macedonia"? If you are referring to the FYROM, copy/paste where I ever said that FYROM is Greek.
2) Point out where HofT's posts opposed mine. And don't tell me to go read myself. You claim something, prove it or you're full of it.
3) What claims do Greeks have about "Macedonia", and which "Macedonia" are you talking about?

MyOwnUsername wrote:
It's pure and obvius fact that both Greece and Bulgaria are denying Macedonia's right to have its own name, its own flag and even its own history.

Just because your knowledge of Balkans history is spotty does not mean any of the above. First of all, demonstrate how the above is true. Second, FYROM can surely have its own name, flag and history, but its own and not Greece's. FYROM can go and steal someone else's symbols, names and history, not ours. Us Greeks are more than happy to see FYROM being a good neighbour, its own sovereign state, trading partner and ally. It can surely have a flag and a name but not ours.

Unless you can show me how the Vergina Sun was Slavic and not Phillip the II's. Now THAT I would really love to see.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
Also, it's quite logical assumption that they are not loud in saying "Macedonia is actually our territory" only because of current geo-political situation. Therefore, it's quite logical assumption that in some different conditions, Bulgaria and Greece could directly clash over Macedonia (HofT says that in different and milder terms himself).

I've got news for you: it is no big secret that when the Yugoslavian civil war broke out, the Serbs offered FYROM to Greece if we joined the fight, but Greece refused. Your "logical assumptions" hardly seem logical to me.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
Your comment was, however, purely racistic. Your comment was that it's not surprising for Croat to make a racistic comment. That, my "friend", is pure racism. Fact that I am not Croat by nationality, and that I am not offended because long time ago I learned not to get offended on internet forums is irelevant.

You had said, copy/paste: "Yup. How nice. Bulgarians and Greeks agreeing about Macedonia...They will probably hurry to hug each other - fully armed of course, across Macedonia."
In other words, Bulgarians and Greeks want to destroy Slavic Macedonians. Now if that isn't racist, I don't know what is.
My direct reply to this was, copy/paste it: That racist comment, coming from a Croatian who admits to a lack of knowledge of Balkan history, is hardly surprising.
Well yes, Croatians, unknowledgeable Croatians at that, who say that us Greeks want to run over FYROM, are obviously racist and it is hardly surprising because you're hardly the first Croatian, whether by birthright or subsequent nationalization, or Slavic Macedonian, to spew such garbage about Greece wanting to run over FYROM.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
My comment, with different words was: "Bulgarians and Greece both think that Macedonia is their territory".

Your comment, my dear man, hardly said that. It said that we Greeks would probably hurry to hug the Bulgarians, fully armed across the FYROM. Now that's a far cry from what you just said right now.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
Your comment, with just slightly different words and same meaning was: "Croats are racists".

My comment, as I previously said, specifically stated that I am not surprised to hear a racist comment from a Croatian that doesn't know much about Balkan history.

MyOwnUsername wrote:
No, you didn't. Read my question again. What you answered here is what problems Greece has with independent Macedonia. You didn't answered why Greece would not have such problems if Macedonia becomes Bulgarian province. I'm asking that since you were so happy with HofT's opinion, only because it opposes mine, despite the fact that it opposes yours as well.

Forgive me but I did not understand your question because of your English. Not that it's bad, in fact it is very good as it is not your native language but the way you were phrasing things there was very confusing. If I understood you correctly:
1. The issue of whether Bulgaria would absorb FYROM never entered OUR conversation of Greece and FYROM. We were discussing how FYROM is trying to claim our names and history. What this has to do with Bulgaria is beyond me.
2. What HofT was saying earlier on, and what I agreed with, was the fact that ethnic Bulgarians in the YRP tried to absorb Greece's province of Macedonia after WWII. See how these things have happened in recent history? So who's to say it won't happen again in the future? And this is why, aside from the principle of the matter, that Greece does not want FYROM to be legitimately recognized as "Macedonia". You STILL don't see our point of view on this, do you?
3. Where did HofT's posts oppose my point of view?
0 Replies

Aris

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
Aris wrote:
What's up everybody's ass in here today?

I might ask same question Smile However, you might be right on this one. This debate is becoming too nervous and too anxious. So, let's calm it down a little.
Beer? :wink:

HofT wrote:
As you say though it's unlikely that the US position will change, so I'll join you for a beer and hope the others here will join.

Yes, let's just agree to disagree and be nice to each other.

First round is on me Mr. Green
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:41 am
You asked where I got idea that HofT and your opinion are different?

HofT wrote:
MOU - in very many ways I agree with you

In his own words.
Or you agree with me in very many ways too? Very Happy

FYI, I can only add that there was no Croatian, Moslem (or any other) agression on Serbia. As it was mentioned many times already, not a single bullet was fired from Slovenia, Croatia or Bosnia to serbian territory.

It seems that you are interested in beer after all. Okay then. But Macedonia is still Macedonian Razz
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:46 am
I've learnt a lot from this discussion and hope the Serb we lost earlier on this thread will come back - everyone is welcome as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm
you mean kunikuni? He claims to be British Smile
But I am not so into discussions about Croatia-Serbia conflicts, we live in peace now and I hope it will remain that way. I'm actually sure it will.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
so now I am dedicated warrior for our Macedonian brothers freedom and independence Very Happy (not really, although I think what I said).
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:26 pm
MOU - ethnic heritage is distinct from nationality. We have many of the former in the US, but only one nationality. On the Milosevic trial however the prevailing legal opinion (links available) is that whatever the merits of his activities any ad hoc tribunal that takes 12 years - so far! - to get even halfway hearing the case is no better than a kangaroo court.

I don't see anybody here advocating another Balkan war, but I do think that another much greater war will come about after Russia and the Ukraine have been admitted to the EU and Turkey still persists with its application, decades from when it started in 1963. In that sense what happened to the Bosnian Moslems (all Slavs, so no racism can be alleged) will pale into insignificance compared to what will happen to the Turks still inhabiting the former Greek territory of Eastern Thrace.

That is my ultimate interest in this subject - as I said I've no ancestry in any of the peoples in the Balcans region but wonder about the fissure between the Western world and Islam, and how it will develop.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:11 pm
Hague Court is joke. They proved in many cases to be completely uncapable.

As for heritage and nationality you are right, only that in croatian language words are different - what you consider by "nationality" is in croatian called "drzavljanstvo" and direct translation would be "citizenship", while what you consider as "ethnic heritage" is called "nacionalnost", or in direct translation "nationality".

So, people here are mixed on different level then in USA - because for example Serb from Croatia might be in Croatia for centuries and centuries and is still Serb by nationality, and Croat by citizenship. Personally, I am closest to what (not to compare myself with him on any other levels though Smile ) world famous scientist Nikola Tesla said - "I'm equally proud of my Croatian homeland and of my Serbian origin". By the way, he is from my town as well Smile (born near, and grew up and went to school in my town).
So, I am actually close to USA way of thinking when it comes to that. I'm born in Croatia, I lived my all life in Croatia, my parents were both born in Croatia - so I am Croat. My "ethnic heritage" is something completely different - Croatia is my homeland, and if Croatia plays Serbia in soccer for example, I will very loudly support Croatia Smile

I'm not sure that we are facing great wars when Russia, Ukraine and Turkey enter EU.
And from Balkan point of view, not only that European West is not confronting Islam much, but they are even protecting it. For example, many Serbs and Croats from Bosnia ended in Hague (and they deserved that), while Moslems seem to be protected although all three sides comitted terrible crimes - yes, it is truth that Serbs were worst with Sarajevo, Srebrenica and Tuzla, Croats had to be satisfied with silver medal with Ahmici and Mostar, and Moslems, honestly, only on third place, but they still seem too protected by international court.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:22 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
Hague Court is joke. They proved in many cases to be completely uncapable.

Yes, that's what about 50% say about any court's ruling

.... and the other 50% praise the rulings as much they can.

:wink:
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:30 pm
true Wink But I'm not talking about their rulings. I'm talking about their incredible and unbelievable slowness, unefficiency and similar things.
Not to mention their logistic that is absolutely uncapable to locate and arrest the most wanted criminals.

Although, some rulings are also quite bizarre and funny. For example, Bosnian Croat Tihomir Blaskic was one of accused for Ahmici massacre (Croats over Moslems) - he was one of...no, actually he was the only person in Hague that I honestly believed was innocent. In funny political trial he got sentenced to 45 years. After appeal and more appropriate trial, his sentence was reduced to, I'm not sure, either 7 or 9 years, but that was EXACTLY time he served already. So, message was "yeah, we seriously screwed up, but we will not take a war criminal burden off of you, and after all, we might get sued, so we will just let you go now"
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:38 pm
It's a farce, Walter. They started in 1993, they offered up to $5m to anybody handing over indicted suspects, they still haven't got even halfway through their proceedings, and most of the accused will die of old age before that court goes out of business.

Carla del Ponte was dispatched there as prosecutor to keep her out of causing more trouble to the Swiss banks. Louise Arbour returned to Canada covered in ridicule. The tribunal has no powers to enforce its decisions and Milosevic is right in claiming it also has no jurisdiction. See here:
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/issue_milosevic.htm

Vae victis is the only raison d'etre of that court - not exactly a maxim of international law.
0 Replies