Milosevic: West provoked war in Balkans

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:35 am
Quote:
Thirty months into Europe's biggest war crimes trial since Nuremberg, Slobodan Milosevic, the former Yugoslav president, launched his long-delayed defence yesterday with a defiant four-hour tirade.

After months of delays due to his ill health, Mr Milosevic produced a bombastic performance in court, blaming the West for provoking the war in the Balkans in the 1990s, and accusing the US of encouraging the Islamic terrorism that led to the events of 11 September. Mr Milosevic faces 66 war crimes charges arising from the violence and ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, Croatia and Bosnia, including one count of genocide. The trial began in February 2002.

Despite the delays due to his health, Mr Milosevic, 63, who is conducting his own defence, appeared in good health as he launched into a speech tailored more to nationalist sentiment in his native Serbia than to the judges in The Hague. He rejected the authority of the UN tribunal, dismissing it as a puppet of Nato, which bombed Serbia in 1999. Mr Milosevic said the accusations were "an unscrupulous lie and a tireless distortion of history".

Mr Milosevic also claimed that Bill Clinton's administration encouraged Islamic terrorism through its support for the ethnic Albanian Kosovo Liberation Army, which fought for independence in the province.

The trial continues.

Link

Pshaw,as if! well,the NATO engage in this war probably hard. But it was still better.
The UN must finally better help in the area.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,051 • Replies: 113
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:33 am
Oh boy - bottom of barrel scraping!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:45 am
I thought Milisovec was too busy posting here on A2K to write speeches.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:55 am
Sorry, I don't see y'all point.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:03 am
Thok wrote:
Sorry, I don't see y'all point.

I think the bunny was just stating that this is a really bad defence for Milosevic. I noticed he is representing himself. There is a saying: "The man that represents himself in court has a fool for a lawyer." However, we do have a Milosevic fan here on A2K, maybe more than one, who would support these claims he is making now at his trial. I just find it strange and frightening.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:15 am
ah,yes. thanks for the explanation.

cavfancier wrote:
I just find it strange and frightening.

me too.

of course, that is a bad defence. Without really proofs, he has no chance.
Let's see, which judgment he gets in a few years....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:24 am
Indeed.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:13 am
There was an article in our newspaper concerning this, and it said that Milosevic blames the whole thing on especially Germany, which, as I quote, "had a strong, traditional bond with Croatia. In addition, the country [Germany] wanted to achieve what it couldn't achieve in the First and Second World War: the destruction of Southern Serbia" (don't know what he means with Southern Serbia). He also said that "it all started" with Germany and the Vatican actively supporting Slovenia and Croatia to separate from Yugoslavia, and by that, violating national and international law. With a last lash, Milosevic also said that "they [the EU-countries] are all German satellite states!"

(...)

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:20 am
Even if is Dutch, may do you have a link?

The total crackpot, he and his paranoic....

The NATO was and is still lead by the USA. But they are not guilty. As I said, it was already justified.

I suppose in a few years we will hear the judgement against him. It should be a hard one.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:34 am
Sorry, I got this from my local newspaper (Eindhovens Dagblad - Eindhoven Daily), but maybe they'll have a link, so hang on!

(...)

Quote:
Milosevic begonnen met openingspleidooi

DEN HAAG (ANP) - Slobodan Milosevic (63) is dinsdagochtend voor het Joegoslavië-Tribunaal begonnen met het openingspleidooi van zijn verdediging. De Joegoslavische ex-president noemde de aanklachten tegen hem een ,,leugen'' en een ,,verdraaiing van de geschiedenis''.

http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl/gfx/gfx_nieuw/kranten/BD/artikelvisuals/2316410-261546-groot.jpg
Milosevic begonnen met openingspleidooi
(EPA - Fred Ernst / Pool)

Volgens Milosevic wordt een verkeerd beeld geschetst van de gebeurtenissen bij het uiteenvallen van Joegoslavië in de jaren '90 ,,om degenen te beschermen die echt verantwoordelijk zijn''. De ware misdaad is volgens hem de ,,gewelddadige vernietiging van een Europees land'', het multiculerele Joegoslavië.

Dat gebeurde volgens Milosevic door een ,,dictaat van Duitsland en het Vaticaan, bijgestaan door de Verenigde Staten en de Europese Unie''. Als kwade geniussen achter de internationale steun voor de separatische deelrepublieken Slovenië en Kroatië ziet hij met name paus Johannes Paulus II en de toenmalige Duitse minister van Buitenlandse zaken Genscher en diens opvolger Kinkel. Milosevic mag zijn openingspleidooi woensdagochtend voortzetten. Hij krijgt nog ongeveer tachtig minuten de tijd. Hij had om een extra dag gevraagd.

Getuigen

De amici curiae (vrienden van het hof) hebben bij de rechters namens Milosevic een schriftelijk verzoek ingediend tot dagvaarding van de Amerikaanse oud-president Bill Clinton en de Britse premier Tony Blair.

Milosevic' juridisch adviseur Zdenko Tomanovic noemde een groep getuigen die voor de maand september gepland staat. Daartoe behoren de voormalige Russische premier Primakov en de voormalige Griekse premier Mitsotakis, evenals andere Russische en Griekse politici.

Because I had to register, it's better to post the article here, 'cause else people can't even read the article. This is not exactly the same article though. This is from the Brabants Dagblad (Brabant Daily), a newspaper linked to the Eindhoven Daily.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:32 am
thanks

--

He gets a lawyer, because the UN war crimes court appoints defence lawyer for Milosevic.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 05:54 am
Rather a british lawyer.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
and accordingly two of them.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
He doesn't want a lawyer, does he?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:42 pm
Actually not. It is not clear how it will works between Milosevic and his two lawyers. Because he refuse the counsels.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:41 am
With "southern Serbia" he thinks Kosovo.

Not only paranoid, but liar as well (which is also pretty strange thing, worst dictators and criminals are generally not retarded - e.g. claiming things that are easily proven false) because by Yugoslav Constitution (1974) all republics of federation had right to leave federation in any moment.
When you say that all EU countries are German satellites that's lunacy, but thing mentioned above is pure lie and that can be proved without any effort at all.

What dozen of his supporters around the world (including A2K member cav mentioned) are obviusly not aware, are that in first part of trial numerous Serbs witnessed against him, including very active leaders of serbian rebels in Croatia and Bosnia.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:51 am
Thanks for clearing up Southern Serbia.

I know that what he says are lies. Don't worry. However, you say that cav (cavfancier?) is Milosevic's supporter. Shouldn't that be swolf? Or am I making a mistake now?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:56 am
no, I said A2k member that cav MENTIONED Wink
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:57 am
cav= cavfancier, yes. But I don't think he is a supporter of him.

Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Shouldn't that be swolf?

What say he about Milosevic?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:00 am
Oh, that cav MENTIONED. Active form. No passive. Excusez-moi.

What swolf said about Milosevic? Well, he has been pointing his arrows at the NATO and the expedition in Kosovo for quite some time now. Now, basically, that's his choice, and if I can defend his stance properly, he can convince me. However, some of the sources he uses - and defends - are huge supporters of Milosevic, who call upon the Tribunal to release him. Swolf himself has frequently said he doesn't trust the The Hague Tribunal, and too thinks that Milosevic has fallen into a trap called NATO/EU/US etc.
0 Replies