Any favourite Trek quotes, post them here.

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:11 am
From Deep Space Nine:

There is an episode where they play baseball. Everyone is yelling things like "No batter! No batter!" But Worf the Klingon yells "Death to the opposition!"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
My apologies, the official name of the Brent Spiner album is "Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back". http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,167322-496119,00.html sadly no longer availible.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Another from Voyager ("The Chute" Ep.3-3) from my favourite character, the Doctor:

EMH: That won't be necessary. Lieutenant Paris is just fine, thanks to excellent doctoring...

He's such a big-head! Fantastic.

The Doctor or Torrez were my two favorite Voyager characters.

As for DS9, I somehow liked Odo.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:50 am
I like Torrez (feisty, but not quite as mental as Worf could be, due to her human father), but after the Doctor, Tuvok comes next on my list. He's the best representation of what a Vulcan is (in my mind) since Spock. T'Paul (sp.) from Enterprise is a also good Vulcan (and an attractive one at that!). Kirsty Alley in the second film (and her replacement in the 3rd) are crap Vulcans.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
My feeling is that Vulcans have been misused in the newer Treks. The best Vulcan related episode to me is still from the original Trek, when Spock had to return to Vulcan to marry, in the grips of horniness, and battled Kirk.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:40 am
What do you mean by "misused", Cav? Like over-used, or used badly? I admit that a token Vulcan seemed to become "the norm" along with a token Klingon. But they make for good characters, IMO. I'd rather like to see some of the other species in the Federation who roam around in the background of the ships and never get a proper part. Apart from Neelix, who is just annoying - Talaxian flu, Talaxian tomatoes, Talaxian bloody everything.

And why have all human characters apart from Scotty been American?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
There are a few more non-Americans.
Chekov was clearly Russian.
Picard was French (with a British accent).
And whazziz-name, the weapons officer on the current ENTERPRISE, is British.
I'm sure there are some others, including ones that grew up on Earth-colony planets; but the actors are clearly American or British.

But yes, most of them are Americans. And note Star Fleet is HQ'd in San Francisco. It's an American-made show, whad'dya expect? Doctor Who is filled with British characters; Japanese monster movies are filled with Japanese characters-- you gotta play to your main audience.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:56 am
What I don't understand is, if the various races in Star Trek are communicating with each other via the Universal Translator, how are they able to quote Klingon poetry and etc. without it coming out in English? And when the ship's computer goes down, shouldn't they be unable to communicate, or at least be forced to use pidgin English or heavily-accented English to talk to each other?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:06 am
Fair point re: nationalities, Equs. I was getting a bit carried away with myself!

Also a good point re: translations. I've always wondered how the computer manages to translate for brand-new species they meet, without having any data to work with? And why do natives to a certain region have the same names for their own stars & systems as the Federation, who've mapped it all in advance themselves?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:37 am
One thing I have learned from Star Trek is that almost all alien races are humanoid only with a little dingus on the bridge of their nose or forehead.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:46 am
Ha ha! How come the humans are the only species who've avoided lumpy foreheads? You're right, Equus, it is a mystery of the highest order!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
Grand Duke wrote:
. . . but after the Doctor, Tuvok comes next on my list. He's the best representation of what a Vulcan is (in my mind) since Spock.

I always found Tuvok a bit stiff.

He didn't seem to understand that lacking emtion did not mean a lack of personality.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
Interesting, NeoGuin. I'm currently working through Voyager as they are released on DVD here. I'm about halfway through the third series, but I'm going to keep an eye on Tuvok and see if you've changed my opinion of him!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
I liked Tuvok (well, the actor) better when he played a terrorist on TNG. I'll have to look up the episode.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 11:52 am
Cav:

"Enterprise Mine"

Basically Picard got to play a version of "Home Alone" on the Enterprise.

Was kinda cool to see Picard thinking on his feet.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
Saw a good one today on TV. Episode of TNG where Q turns the crew into Robin Hood & merry men. They are beamed to a planet's surface, and realise they're all dressed up. After they've worked out what's going on, Worf shouts "I PROTEST! I AM NOT A MERRY MAN!" Comedy genius.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:54 pm
I liked the TNG episode where they went back in time and relived the original episode The Trouble With Tribbles. Someone asked Worf about why the oldtime Klingons didn't have turtle-heads. He shrugged it off with something like "It is very complicated!- We don't like to speak about it."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:59 pm
That was a good one Equus, especially for the 'let's dodge the question' thingy. I just watched a rerun of 'Squire of Gothos' from the original series and thought hmmm....could this have been the brainchild for the Q?
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:33 pm
Cav:

A college roommate of mine wondered that too.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
Voyager Series 3: "Rise"

The Doctor: Vulcans are notoriously difficult to impress. Mr Tuvok rarely acknowledges my brilliance...
0 Replies