The Atheist Case For Recreational Drug Use

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
True, but laws are passed largely in response to political pressure from people. My question is why are the majority of people in favor of the drug war, prohibition, etc.
Well, that's a quite different question now.
And obviously just USA-related.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
pffft

__

Specifically, who are the people in the group of atheists you expect to speak to your question?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
And in another - with about 30 years experiences in drug abuse
Just curious. Would you mind me asking why you started and how/why you let it get control of you?

In my experience, finding out the answer to those questions did me a world of good. Did it do that for you or was it all just a bad experience?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
I dig Setanta.

I don't dig that you try to use one person's opinion to define a group.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

There's one for the group ehBeth...

who are the members of this group you believe exists?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And obviously just USA-related.

I think that the OP was more of an American question than a theist/atheist/individuals question.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:17 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
And in another - with about 30 years experiences in drug abuse
Just curious. Would you mind me asking why you started and how/why you let it get control of you?

In my experience, finding out the answer to those questions did me a world of good. Did it do that for you or was it all just a bad experience?
I don't mind that you ask - you already did so.

I do mind, however, if I'm quoted incorrectly and/or out of context and/or not complete.

I wrote wrote:
And in another - with about 30 years experiences in drug abuse prophylaxis and therapy - amusing, not to say peculiar funny.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Specifically, who are the people in the group of atheists you expect to speak to your question?
I must be missing the intent behind your question. Are you asking me if my question was addressed to specific members of A2K? Since I used a quote from Set maybe you think it's aimed at him? Setanta has me on ignore but in any case I was not addressing this thread at any specific person or persons.

I did think it might bring up angles I hadn't thought of before but no joy so far.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sorry for the offense.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
There's one for the group ehBeth...

who are the members of this group you believe exists?
In that case I was attempting humor.. <fail>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
I've never made it a secret that I'm an alcoholic. (That actually, was one of the best 'arguments' in my jobs in drug therapy and prophylaxis.)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yes.

Precisely who are the atheists who you think this question is for?

You don't seem to have found any atheist group members to respond so far, so ... who are they? maybe you should invite them to the thread.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:10 pm
This thread is a puzzlement to me.

I'm by now moderately known on the a2k boards as an atheist, a word that means to me without theism. Others cite philosophers or dictionaries to argue the meaning, sometimes for years on end. I don't care, I remember my latin from time to time, and that is how I think of it, re me. Afterlife is irrelevant, I've no concept of it etched in glass. I probably would like the buddhist take on it if I was forced to choose. Also, after a few years when I changed my thinking in my early twenties, I don't just hate religion either.

I see no relevance to my complicated thoughts on drug usage, drug misuse, libertarianism, or authoritarianism. While my thinking on all that is complicated and occasionally changing, I don't think that is anyone's business to demand my writing it down, atheist or otherwise. I volunteer it from time to time.

I'll volunteer that I am not fond of Cartels in general, nor the factors that got them started.
timur

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:32 pm
It's my opinion that Lead foot has no clue about the sociological dynamics of people without religion.

His trying to identify atheists as an homogeneous group of people thinking alike just denotes how poorly thought his question is.

He probably never talked or even encountered atheist people, either American or foreigners, except online.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
But I did ask, so if you have some logical reasons for banning recreational drug use, let's hear them.

A major reason for banning the recreational use of drugs is that, generally, it is thought to be detrimental to society.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:44 pm
In my opinion all Atheists are whacked out smack heads, and anyone who claims to be an Atheist but isn't scagged out right now is just lying to themselves. All Christians are ripped to the tits on phenobarbitone, that's real Christians mind, the bloody heretics are riding the largactil train to Boobsville. And don't get me started on the ******* Buddhists, you really don't want to know what they're into.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you. I missed the significance of your context in the flurry of posts. I'm sure that was of benefit in that field of work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:52 pm
@timur,
I like Leadfoot so I'm not after him, and I almost get his intention, by now, when he started the thread. I take it he meant is for a kind of clarity. But I agree he may not have talked with real life atheists.

US atheists can be quiet in social settings, or at least used to be, avoiding aggravation in daily life.

Americans of my experience (figure California, already an odd place) don't usually burrow into acquaintances deepest thoughts. Well, maybe in the seventies. I still have California friends and am not sure where some of them are now on the religion scope; I just remember these friends as good people.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Precisely who are the atheists who you think this question is for?
In this context, anyone who does not have a religious bias on the question of recreational drug use.
Quote:
You don't seem to have found any atheist group members to respond so far, so ... who are they?
see above answer.

Quote:
maybe you should invite them to the thread.
Ummm... I thought I did.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Made me laugh.
You otter write a book.
0 Replies