A Little Scripture For Our Christan President

panzade

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
One needen't be a Christian to know how a Christian should act...or am I off base here?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
Do you need to be Buddhist to know how a Buddhist should act? Do you need to be black to know how a black should act?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
panzade wrote:
One needen't be a Christian to know how a Christian should act...or am I off base here?

not at all pan....of course those who understand Chritian behavior by watching most who claim to be so are deluding themselves IMO....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
How a black should act? The black people I know act like the white people I know.....except of course they're a little darker in color while doing it.....

Not a good example there bud....
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
My dad was a preacher (on and off) and every one of his kids gave truth about the old adage of preachers kids.

Anyone can know how a Christian is supposed to behave and act, all they got to do is read the Bible. It's not a secret club with codes or anything.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:48 am
revel wrote:
My dad was a preacher (on and off) and every one of his kids gave truth about the old adage of preachers kids.

Anyone can know how a Christian is supposed to behave and act, all they got to do is read the Bible. It's not a secret club with codes or anything.

Really!

Then why does the bible send mixed messages on how Christians are suppose to act ?
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:19 am
Strange and wonderful ways. It sure does. Speak that we may know you.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:23 am
I am a Christian. I know how Christians are supposed to act. I don't find it hard to figure out, but perhaps that is because I was blessed with grandparents and great grandparents that LIVED it rather than just talking about it.

But, now that McG has brought it up... How SHOULD blacks act? I don't have any family, New Testements or bracelets to help me with that one. Shocked Please, fill me in, McG!!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:40 am
Well, you claim that you know how a Christian is supposed to act, how is that?

To answer your question, I have no idea. I have no idea how ANYONE is supposed to act. I think the idea that a class of people should be expected to act a certain way because they share something is a completely retarded concept. That was the point of my statement.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:14 am
CerealKiller wrote:
revel wrote:

Really!

Then why does the bible send mixed messages on how Christians are suppose to act ?

Getting into mixed messages of the Bible would lead to a whole discussion on just that.

But in the Bible there are chapters and chapters telling those that believe what we should do in regards to sin and how we are treat others. It's there in black and white for anyone to read. In my understanding of the Bible, Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the laws of the old testament and so the new testament is what we are follow now. Passages like the good smaritian and the rich man and the poor man are examples of how God would have us behave and act. If we are not walking the walk of Christinaity it is pretty easy to see. The guide lines so speak are in the book and the book is free for anyone to read and understand. My only point is that other people who are not christians can easily know how Christians are supposed to behave just by reading the words that Jesus said. (or the words attributed to Jesus)

Just like we can know if a Muslim is acting true his religion because they have a book, the Jews have the Torah.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:37 pm
How about judge not lest you be judged.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:56 pm
Hoe about cleanse not the beam in thine own eye til thou hast cleansed the moat in thine own? (paraphrase)
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:56 pm
Bush will win in 2004
Kerry is slipping way behind Bush now.. heck even Nader is catching up near even with Kerry. Laughing
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:42 am
It's easy to know how Christians are supposed to behave without being a Christian yourself. You just look through the Bible, see what Jesus says, and there's your answer. He says things like, "if someone slaps you, turn the other cheek," but nothing like, "if you think there's a chance that someone might slap you in the not too distant future, slap him reeeaaally hard before he gets a chance!!"

Anyone who simply doesn't do what Jesus says, but does what he wants, in Jesus' name, isn't really a Christian.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:33 am
Quote:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Love one another, as I have loved you.

This is the whole of the law.

==

My hope is that someday people begin to follow what Jesus said. It's pretty hard, being human and all, to trust in love, but that's what He said to do.

Treat people as you want to be treated and love them all.

All the rest is yeahbuts, meaningless, misleading and off-message.

Joe

PS: And yes, before you ask, I'm a failure at it, though I do my best.

I'm as true to love as I can be,
as true to truth as I can see.
The soul of mine, still human,
still daily climbs the mount of grace,
still miles away, my humble pace
ne'er slackens nor catchs up a step,
it shines just beyond my vision
and my grasp.
But fortune's mine for at my side
I see you also on the way.

I see You also on the way.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:06 am
Re: Bush will win in 2004
John Kerry wrote:
Kerry is slipping way behind Bush now.. heck even Nader is catching up near even with Kerry. Laughing

What poll would this be? Every one I have seen they are even. His speech and convention had little effect on the undeciders.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60447-2004Sep3.html

Besides, what does that have to do with the subject?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:09 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Love one another, as I have loved you.

This is the whole of the law.

==

My hope is that someday people begin to follow what Jesus said. It's pretty hard, being human and all, to trust in love, but that's what He said to do.

Treat people as you want to be treated and love them all.

All the rest is yeahbuts, meaningless, misleading and off-message.

Joe

PS: And yes, before you ask, I'm a failure at it, though I do my best.

I'm as true to love as I can be,
as true to truth as I can see.
The soul of mine, still human,
still daily climbs the mount of grace,
still miles away, my humble pace
ne'er slackens nor catchs up a step,
it shines just beyond my vision
and my grasp.
But fortune's mine for at my side

I see You also on the way.

I like your poem, I dabble a little in poems and short stories, but mine are amaturist at best.

I agree with your overall message. I guess this subject is covered.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:43 am
I should have added that I fail at turning the other cheek and loving more often than not as well.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:39 am
Joe Nation pretty much wrapped it up. If love lives in the heart, all else falls into place.

I, like Joe, continue to work on it. I've got the love part down, now I'm working on rerouting from my loins to my heart.....
0 Replies