10
   

Ok, it is late Tuesday here. I will try not to fix down thumbs I deem re opinion.

 
 
Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:49 pm
I'll give it two weeks. The first one will be hard, my learning not to do that.

This won't be categorically correct as I have some on ignore. Still it'll interest me, if others join in with me.

Some doppus has been dumping on me and Setanta (me and Setanta?). I'll report, if I figure anything out on all this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,050 • Replies: 28

 
Blickers
 
  4  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:13 pm
@ossobuco,
It's probably hard to break a habit, but good luck. I don't have any set principles for up or down votes, it something strikes me as well said, I give it an up. Down votes I rarely give. Of course I have my biases, so my opinion about what was well said will be affected by whether I agree with it or not.

I do believe, unless you are getting buried under down votes, that the up or down sign is more a function of who happens to be on the board at the time you posted the message than anything else.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  5  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Some doppus has been dumping on me and Setanta (me and Setanta?). I'll report, if I figure anything out on all this.


it's been really stupid to watch
I've been upthumbing as possible just to bring things back to neutral
neologist
 
  4  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 12:28 am
I upthumb good posts even if I don't agree. And, I give mercy thumbs from time to time. Rarely down thumb unless language is particularly vulgar.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  4  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 12:30 am
@ossobuco,
I would like to see the total plus and minus on posts. I'll bet some have a lot of action.
0 Replies
 
Debra Law
 
  2  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 01:06 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'll give it two weeks. The first one will be hard, my learning not to do that.

This won't be categorically correct as I have some on ignore. Still it'll interest me, if others join in with me.

Some doppus has been dumping on me and Setanta (me and Setanta?). I'll report, if I figure anything out on all this.


I'm not quite sure what your title means. "I will try not to fix down thumbs ..."

I was getting many thumbs down on a political thread. I did eventually put 5 members on ignore for the time being. I was feeling bad about being thumbed down, but I didn't want to retaliate by doing the same to them. Since then, I've been sensitive to thumbs down and have been trying to thumb up posts. Anyway, I'm unsure about the mission you would like others to join. Should I not be thumbing up posts?
tsarstepan
 
  4  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 06:58 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

ossobuco wrote:
Some doppus has been dumping on me and Setanta (me and Setanta?). I'll report, if I figure anything out on all this.


it's been really stupid to watch
I've been upthumbing as possible just to bring things back to neutral

I tend upthumb downthumbed posts (Set and others) to do that in for nonpolitical posts that are relevant to the topic thread at hand. The people or person doing that downthumbing has some serious mental issues.
ossobuco
 
  3  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 08:35 am
@Debra Law,
I didn't mean for others to join me. I have for many years up thumbed posts that I thought were down thumbed because someone didn't agree with the poster's opinion. Thus "fixing" it. I rarely down thumb posts at all and if I do, it isn't because my opinion differs but because of the poster's behavior to others.

But since I have up thumbed posts I thought unworthy of someone else's down thumb, such fixing has become a habit. So, my experiment is to see what the board looks like if I don't tamper with it. (At the same time I say this, I'm glad ehBeth is a fixer too.)

On one of my old threads that still shows on the New Posts page once in a while, every single one of my posts is down thumbed over pages and pages. I must have seriously pissed someone off by existing. Very Happy


This is all separate from the matter of downthumbing threads in their entirety.
Debra Law
 
  3  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 01:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I didn't mean for others to join me. I have for many years up thumbed posts that I thought were down thumbed because someone didn't agree with the poster's opinion. Thus "fixing" it. I rarely down thumb posts at all and if I do, it isn't because my opinion differs but because of the poster's behavior to others.

But since I have up thumbed posts I thought unworthy of someone else's down thumb, such fixing has become a habit. So, my experiment is to see what the board looks like if I don't tamper with it. (At the same time I say this, I'm glad ehBeth is a fixer too.)

On one of my old threads that still shows on the New Posts page once in a while, every single one of my posts is down thumbed over pages and pages. I must have seriously pissed someone off by existing. Very Happy


This is all separate from the matter of downthumbing threads in their entirety.


I can empathize. I took a long break from the forum when it appeared someone seriously disliked me, but still love to come back from time to time and participate because the community as a whole is genuinely a very thoughtful, talented, and special group of people.
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 01:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
my biggest bugbear is thumbing down in music threads and the like

I understand it in more mmmm volatile threads but music threads? really? if you don't like music, just thumb down the music threads - don't go in with multiple accounts to (very obviously) thumb up and down individuals
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  3  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 01:36 pm
@Debra Law,
True.
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  8  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 06:19 pm
For a long time (I don't know if it's still happening), I have received a thumb's down on everything I said. A picture of a bird? Minus one. I went to the hospital? Minus one. Don't put a comma there? Another minus one.

I doubt that this can be someone I've offended. I barely say anything. But if somebody doesn't like me, so be it.
ehBeth
 
  5  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 06:43 pm
@Roberta,
interesting
that makes Set's guess on the culprit make more sense
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  3  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:05 am
I've seen one individual arrive in a thread, and a whole raft of posts get voted down. But that's politically motivated (which still make him a weenie) and i don't think he's going from thread to thread voting people down.

I've had the same experience as Roberta, and my guess on the culprit is based on an irrational resentment that member bears me and a few others whose posts (including innocuous ones) get voted down at times when that member is active.
tsarstepan
 
  4  
Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 06:29 am
@Setanta,
I'm preemptively bumping your post Set even before reading it.

I literally noticed in real time that all of your posts in my questionable lyrics thread have been downthumbed the same time I posted myself. Prior to the post? They were all normal. One post was thumbed down three times in the time I posted my reply. It still has a net loss of -1 (after I thumbed up your post because I liked what you posted yesterday).

Quote:
and i don't think he's going from thread to thread voting people down.

But someone is doing that exact thing.

EDIT:
For instance, after posting this, someone downthumbed you back to the neutral 1 level.
Lilkanyon
 
  3  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 12:30 am
Do down thumbs have a consequence here? Like if you get too many you get kicked off the site? If not, personally, I dont care. Sure, most people want to be liked...but sometimes we cross paths with haters. Been there a couple times. If they wanna down thumb me, I dont care. Personally, Ive done it only on a rare occassion, when I found the post trully offensive...not for personal reasons. I dont take it personally. Haters gonna hate.
roger
 
  3  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 12:47 am
@Lilkanyon,
No. The only real result is that when a post has enough negative posts, it disappears from everyone's viewing. It still appears as post voted down, or something like that. Naturally, I have to click it just to see what was so unpopular.
Lilkanyon
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 12:52 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

No. The only real result is that when a post has enough negative posts, it disappears from everyone's viewing. It still appears as post voted down, or something like that. Naturally, I have to click it just to see what was so unpopular.


Ahh...I didnt know that. Tbh? I never think of the thumbs down thing. Its not my nature...but I love to give a thumbs up. I just typically ignore or frown at a disagreeable post. I believe in free speech, even if I disagree...lol.
roger
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 01:37 am
@Lilkanyon,
Ah yeah. Sometimes, instead of a thumbs down, I give an up thumb to the person he's insulting. I like to think they hate that. I'm on another forum that allows 'likes' but not 'dislikes'. Same technique.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 01:59 am
@tsarstepan,
I just saw this. I meant the member who showed up in a political thread, after which a series of posts of different members were voted down, is not necessarily going from thread to thread indiscriminately voting people down. That's a separate issue, in which a particular member (remember, i didn't say it was Oristar) goes around from thread to thread voting down posts just because of who the author of the posts is. Whoever that is (Rolling Eyes) has at least three targets of whom i know, and i believe Roberta is one of them.
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Adding Tags to Threads - Discussion by Brandon9000
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Merry Andrew - Discussion by edgarblythe
Spot the April Fools gag yet? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Great New Look to A2K- Applause, Robert! - Discussion by Phoenix32890
Head count - Discussion by CalamityJane
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
The great migration - Discussion by shewolfnm
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Ok, it is late Tuesday here. I will try not to fix down thumbs I deem re opinion.
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/12/2021 at 03:02:54