10-year-old boy kills father on custody visit

Thok

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:55 am
10 years old... already a murder. just madness.

Quote:
HOUSTON, Texas
A 10-year-old boy fatally shot his physician father after the man arrived to pick him up for a weekend visit, authorities said.

Rick James Lohstroh, 41, was struck several times Friday as he sat in his sport utility vehicle, said Sgt. B.E. Williams of the Harris County Sheriff's Department.

The boy, using his mother's gun, fired through the back seat before getting out of the vehicle and continuing to shoot, Williams said. Lohstroh, a doctor at the University of Texas Medical Branch, died on the way to a hospital.

The shooting happened outside the home where the boy lived with his mother and 7-year-old brother, who were inside at the time, Williams said. Lohstroh and the boy's mother shared custody of the children.

Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Jeff Dixie would not discuss the boy's whereabouts or charges.

Authorities said they had been called to the home before in an ongoing family dispute

CNN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,569 • Replies: 33
No top replies

capsaddy

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:58 am
What is this world coming to... they didn't mention why he did it? Abuse maybe?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:01 am
I'll bet there is more to the story.
0 Replies

capsaddy

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:03 am
Probably, the kid was probably abused, like so many stories like that. Its sad really. The kid suffers his whole life, does something like that, then spends probably the rest of his life in jail/prison whichever they decide
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:05 am
Could be. But maybe he shot, because he just want this?
Test the gun or wanted to be a adult person ..
0 Replies

capsaddy

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:07 am
attention maybe...
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:11 am
If the news are give no more informations, all is even possible.
0 Replies

capsaddy

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:13 am
yeah who knows these days
0 Replies

capsaddy

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:17 am
it says in some news i just found that the police were called to the house before for an ongoing family dispute
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:42 am
reasons: ugly divorce and obviously bad exposure with him

Boy, 10, shot father dead after parents' 'ugly' divorce

Quote:
The 10-year-old son of divorced American parents shot his father dead as he was being picked up from his mother's home in Texas.

The boy allegedly used his mother's gun to shoot his father several times from the back seat. Dr Rick James Lohstroh, 41, died on the way to hospital. His ex-wife was in the house with another son, aged seven, at the time. She says she is unaware of how her elder son got hold of the weapon.

The couple's divorce was described by friends as "bitter and ugly". The boy, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, has been placed in the county's custody pending a hearing today.

Link
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 04:50 am
Divorce is no excuse for patricide Neutral!

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 04:58 am
Mommy "had no idea how [he] got the gun" . . . well, it obviously wasn't secured was it? This sort of thing happens when people have that "i need a gun to shoot potential intruders" mentality. The gun should have been under lock and key, and the ammunition stored separately, also secured.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:18 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

I imagine divorce, in and of itself, was a small contributing factor!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:19 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Divorce is no excuse for patricide

actually there is not really a excuse for this.

Setanta wrote:
The gun should have been under lock and key, and the ammunition stored separately, also secured.

I full agree.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:20 am
dlowan wrote:
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

I imagine divorce, in and of itself, was a small contributing factor!

That's well true.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:55 pm
the young boy in question has been complaining of sexual abuse by the father for several years. the father had turned his attentions on the younger brother. i think you will find, and as dlowan stated, there is A LOT more to this sad story. obviously, the father is now dead and cannot defend himself...i'm praying for the two boys. children NEED to be heard and listened to!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:29 am
allegations of abuse
The CBS morning show aired a segment on the murder.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:32 am
Houston Chronicle
Wife threatened to kill doctor, records show.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:12 am
thanks debra...sounds like both the mother and the father are at fault for acting like children themselves while getting a divorce...it sounds like neither of the parents were concerned about the two young boys while all of this drama(the divorce) was going on between the two of them.

my opinion is that people can pass lie detector tests while lying.

i still think that when a child tells you that they are being abused...in any way...they are most likely being abused! the statement in the story above regarding being held naked could very well be innocent, but when the child follows it up with a "because he said he wouldn't love me anymore"....huge red flag.

i am not saying that i know what happened here in this case...i'll have to folow the news like the rest of society.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 01:20 am
This poor kid!
Mom: My son isn't 'a homicidal maniac'

Quote:
Sexual abuse by his father and an increased dosage of Prozac may have helped drive a 10-year-old boy to shoot and kill the father last week, the boy's mother and attorney contend.

"My son is not a homicidal maniac," said Deborah Geisler of Katy. ''I knew my son was angry with his father, but I never thought my son would see this as a way to handle the hopeless situation he thought he was in."

But the attorney who represented Dr. Rick Lohstroh during a bitter divorce denied the abuse allegations.

Lohstroh, a 41-year-old emergency room doctor at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, was shot in the back Friday when he went to pick up his two sons at their mother's home in Katy.

Police say the 10-year-old boy climbed into the back of his father's sport utility vehicle, fired a pistol several times through the back of the driver's seat and then ran back inside the home.

Juvenile Court Judge Beverly Malazzo on Monday rejected a request from Geisler that the boy be released into her custody.

The judge ordered that the boy, whose name is not being released because of his age, remain in the Harris County juvenile detention facility at least until a hearing on Sept. 13.

A psychiatrist prescribed Prozac for the boy in early August after he was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, his mother said Sunday.

He started with a 10-milligram dose and gradually moved to higher doses, she said.

The week before the shooting, Geisler said, the boy started taking a once-a-week, time-release dosage of 90 milligrams. He took his second 90-milligram pill just hours before the shooting, she said.

The sexual abuse allegations could be central to the juvenile court case ahead, a lawyer for the 10-year-old said.

Attorney Chris Tritico said he also is looking into the possible impact of the medication.

"I don't know enough about the effects of Prozac on a 10-year-old to know what, if any, role it played," he said. "That will certainly be one of the things we'll be looking into."

Lohstroh's attorney, Kathleen Collins of Galveston, adamantly denied allegations of abuse.

"All this stuff being said about him is untrue," Collins said.

Lohstroh and his wife finalized a contentious divorce in May 2003 and had joint custody of the children.

Geisler, 45, is a nurse at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, a hospital spokesperson said.

Child Protective Services has a history of involvement with the family, but that information is confidential since the state never took custody of the children and no criminal charges were filed, said CPS spokeswoman Estella Olguin.

Harris County sheriff's detectives are still investigating how the 10-year-old got the gun.

Geisler said the semiautomatic pistol had been kept locked in its case, along with an ammunition clip, in a closet in her room, Geisler said.

She said she thought it was a .40-caliber weapon, but she was not sure.

"It was stored, unloaded and locked," Geisler said. "The clip was out of it."

The boys attend Friendswood schools. The 10-year-old is a fifth-grader at Windsong Intermediate School and his 7-year-old brother is in the second grade at Cline Elementary, a school district spokeswoman said.

Assistant District Attorney Helen Jackson said she urged the juvenile court judge to keep the older boy in a detention center because of the seriousness of the incident.

Under Texas law, children under 14 cannot be certified for trial as adults in criminal court.

Many juveniles are sentenced to incarceration with the Texas Youth Commission and released on their 18th birthdays. But even after reaching that point, Geisler's son could face up to 40 years in adult prison if he is convicted of murder and prosecutors seek to have him sentenced as an adult.
0 Replies