Is it possible to write neatly, fast and complete exams at university in time?

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 02:22 am
Hi all,
I have discovered that my handwriting has turned from bad to worse lately because I have needed to write more and more words to pass my exams at school. My hand is extremely tired during an exam.I have just started to improve it but I can't write fast at all.May I ask if it is possible to write neatly, fast and complete exams at university in time?

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:37 am
@Loh Jane,
Anxiety is the root issue I see here. when you become anxious like that, stress can turn into distress. Stress can be helpful because it can urge along what you gained in the studying process and jog your memory. Distress, however, can lead to harder to solve issues and locking up your mind.

If you can work on the anxiety, the handwriting will improve. Your hands get tired because your muscles are tense due to trying to speed up. The real issue is the nervousness. I'm sure (form your other posting history), you study a lot. That should bring you more confidence.

Perhaps to get help with anxiety you can try deep breathing as in yoga practices. Otherwise, if it were me I'd see a medical professional or psychologist. Sorry I can't suggest a better choice.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 07:32 am
I remember writing like crazy in some of my school courses, fast as I could, and being somewhat sloppy. Sloppy can be fine if the contents are correct. Perfection of penmanship is not required. A quick review of wording is a good idea as if you skip a word, say, using is instead of is not, can change the meaning. That can happen on a2k once in a while as a lot of us type fast here.

I ended up doing hand drafting for a lot of years (pre-CAD) and in that case, moderate perfection was in order, because those pages would go out for blueprinting to clients and contractors and city reviewers. The writing was done with printing instead of cursive, and printing with constant high speed can cramp your hand. So even there, some relaxing is in order. Life will go on if you take five more minutes.
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 08:30 am
@Ragman,
Hi Ragman,
thanks.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 09:53 am
@Loh Jane,
Do you handwrite things every day, or do you use the computer more?

I use a computer keyboard almost exclusively now so when I have to write exams, I find I have to practice writing for a few weeks in advance. I handwrite practice exams a couple of hours a day when it's getting close to exam time, otherwise my hands get too sore. It's simply a lack of practice for me - when I used to write daily the 2 - 3 hours of exam writing wasn't a big change from the daily use of my hands.
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:45 am
@ehBeth,
I only write everyday before my exams. My handwriting was very bad when I revised. I thought I could change it while doing my previous exam. Unexpectedly, it is worse because the given time was really tight.
0 Replies