EgyptAir Flight MS804 disappears from radar over the Mediterranean Sea

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:04 pm
This may be unfair, but I tend to think that those who are encouraging "wait and see" are really looking for a non-terrorist reason for this tragedy. Why would that be?

I'm truly sorry but I don't believe the A2K membership are the selected of Diogenes.

Why would it be "good" if this wasn't caused by ISIS or some other homicidal group? The 66 aboard the flight will still be dead regardless and one less terrorist caused tragedy won't reduce the threat of terrorism in the world.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am interested.
Don't presume.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Well that's fine and dandy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 10:44 pm
Distress signal from EgyptAir flight 804 confirmed by authorities in Cairo and US
Quote:
Investigators have said it will be more than a week until they can recover the plane’s “black box” flight recorders when a ship capable of retrieving them arrives in the Mediterranean search zone, but teams are continuing to search for the wreckage in the meantime.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 06:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This may be unfair, but I tend to think that those who are encouraging "wait and see" are really looking for a non-terrorist reason for this tragedy. Why would that be?

Because of a general interest in facts and truth? The coverage of this has been all "we don't know what happened, but here is our terrorism expert..." The long term corrective actions we need to take to prevent this from happening again need to be based on what really happened, not hastily drawn conclusions, so I'll wait for facts.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 05:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There are a lot of reasons for people to prefer a non-terror narrative. For one, if this is just a mechanical failure then the perceived threat is lower, as that is ever present while terrorism ebbs and flows.

Right now I lean toward an incendiary terror incident but it could also be a catastrophic mechanical failure.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 01:50 pm
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/06/crashed-egyptair-jets-black-box-recovered.html

Quote:
Egyptian officials said Thursday that a search vessel had discovered and retrieved the cockpit data recorder of EgyptAir Flight MS804, which crashed over the Mediterranean Sea en route from Paris to Cairo about a month ago. All 66 people onboard died, and the cause of the disaster remains unknown — but officials are hoping the black-box recorder, one of two on the plane, can finally give them clues as to what doomed the airliner.

The cockpit recorder was found 13,000 feet beneath the surface of the Mediterranean. It was partially damaged, reports ABC News, but its memory storage unit appeared to be intact, so investigators should be able to examine and recover data from it. The other black box, the flight-data recorder, is still missing.

The black box is currently on its way to Alexandria, Egypt, where investigators will pore over its contents. Officials have speculated that a catastrophic event brought down the plane, hinting that terrorism or human error were more likely than a mechanical failure — but, ultimately, the investigators have little to go on. No group has claimed responsibility for downing the jet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 04:30 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Because of a general interest in facts and truth?

Perhaps a few but by no means the majority.

Stop being disingenuous.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 04:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
As low the probability of a mechanical failure may be (and it is very low) my bet is that destruction by terrorist is even lower.

People, in general, are incapable of a rationale assessment of risk, but those who want to steer this away from terrorism are not doing so because of personal comfort.
0 Replies