50 surgeons and 15 hours later the US's first penis transplant is a success

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 02:46 pm
US's first penis transplant a success

Quote:
A cancer patient has received the first penis transplant in the United States, at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, according to Associated Press on Tuesday.

Thomas Manning underwent the 15-hour surgery - performed by a team of more than 50 surgeons - on May 8 and 9. The doctors said they are cautiously optimistic that Manning, 64, who had his penis amputated in 2012 because of cancer, will be able to urinate normally and function sexually again.

“Today I begin a new chapter filled with personal hope and hope for others who have suffered genital injuries,” Manning said. “In sharing this success with all of you, it is my hope we can usher in a bright future for this type of transplantation.”

Doctors said his psychological state will play a key role in his recover, and they expect him to leave hospital this week.

“Emotionally, he's doing amazing,” Curtis Cetrulo, who led the transplant, said at a news conference. “I'm really impressed with how he's handling things. He's just a positive person. He wants to be whole again. He does not want to be in the shadows.”

The doctor said reproduction will not be possible because Manning did not receive new testes.

The hospital did not provide details of the deceased donor.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:33 pm
I wonder if transgender patients could donate their cast off organs for this?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Intersting, never thought of that! And now I'm wondering if that would have psychological complications...
roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
And I'm wondering who paid for a 15 hour surgery with 50 surgeons.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:05 pm
@roger,
I wonder how many just wanted to be part of the first American penis transplant surgery. I imagine quite a few would do it for free for the experience (and papers they can publish).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
There isn't actually a cast off organ. The tissues are used in order to form the new vagina for the new woman.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Ahh yes, forgot about that part.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:32 pm
Well that explains it. As an aside, there is a soap opera on TV in which a transgender woman and her husband had a baby this week. They used his sperm, some of her genetic material, and a donated egg and surrogate to carry it.
0 Replies