Is this sexist?

AThom17

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 11:19 am
So I was recently wondering if something that happened to me was sexist and I thought I would ask all of you...

Earlier today my boyfriend mentioned encountering a drunk acquaintance of his at the bar last night and when the acquaintance asked if my bf would like to join him to "get smashed" my boyfriend replied with, "No I'm going home to have sex with my girlfriend." Keep in mind he said this in front of his other friend that he had originally gone to the bar with and they were about to leave soon. My bf said this knowing full well we did not intend on having sex that evening (for known reasons between the two of us) and so had literally just said it to get the guy to go away.

Is this promoting sexism? That the only non-questionable reason to get out of a social event is banging your girlfriend? He could have used literally any excuse (perhaps the real one?) besides sex but for whatever reason that was his go to explanation.

Is this him promoting sexism or am I reading too much into this?

maxdancona

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 11:26 am
@AThom17,
It is not sexist. You could have said the same thing to a drunk female friend in this circumstance.

I think you are reading way to much into this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 11:28 am
@AThom17,
AThom17 wrote:
am I reading too much into this?

yes

(I wonder why he told you, unless he thought it was a story that would amuse you - probably would have made me laugh)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 11:31 am
@AThom17,
Definitely reading too much into it. He was essentially saying "I have way better things to do."
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 12:47 pm
@AThom17,
I will chime in and agree that this was not sexist. I'm not even sure why you would think it was sexist.
0 Replies