die vs dice

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 03:49 pm
Until today, i had never in my life heard of anyone referring to a single die as "dice."

Is it OK with you if i point that out?
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:09 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks, Tes yeux noirs.

So what should I do? When I speak to an American or Canadian, I use "die", but to an Englishman I should use "dice". Is my approach correct?

I remember vividly a grammarian recommending using "dice" for the singular and plural.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:25 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I can't imagine asking someone to hand me the dice if there was only one. So bizarre.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:26 pm
@tanguatlay,
Since more people use American English, that should probably be your default.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:46 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

I remember vividly a grammarian recommending using "dice" for the singular and plural.

Everyone is telling you the same thing - Die is singular and Dice is plural. Die takes a singular verb, dice takes a plural verb. In some cases you can get away with dice as singular as long as you use a plural verb with it. It doesn't matter if you are in India, Australia, England, Canada, etc.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 09:45 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

tanguatlay wrote:

Everyone is telling you the same thing - Die is singular and Dice is plural. Die takes a singular verb, dice takes a plural verb. In some cases you can get away with dice as singular as long as you use a plural verb with it. It doesn't matter if you are in India, Australia, England, Canada, etc.

Everyone is telling me the same thing except Tes yeux noirs, (a native British speaker) whose reply is reproduced below for your easy reference.

The New Oxford Dictionary of English, Judy Pearsall, Patrick Hanks (1998) states that “In modern standard English, the singular die (rather than dice) is uncommon. Dice is used for both the singular and the plural.”

Some authorities state that the singular 'dice' is 'standard in British English':

1980, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, “The Winner Takes It All” (Abba), Super Trouper:
The gods may throw a dice / Their minds as cold as ice

1945, Lawrence Durrell, Prospero's Cell: A Guide to the Landscape and Manners of the Island of Corfu:
A white house set like a dice on a rock already venerable with the scars of wind and water.

2009, Hubert L. Dreyfus, Mark A. Wrathall, A Companion to Phenomenology and Existentialism, page 106:
When we see a dice, we see an object which has six sides, some of which can be seen from where we are, others can be seen if we twist it or move around i
0 Replies