How should a list of questions be presented?

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 03:19 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
Ah, now the problem is revealed. You are taking the meaning of 'logical' to be other than meaning [1] of these:

[1] Of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument

[1.1] Characterized by or capable of clear, sound reasoning

[1.2] (Of an action, decision, etc.) expected or sensible under the circumstances

Nothing could be further from the truth. It is precisely those definitions which make the use of the term "logical" offensive. Upon what basis is the British usage to be considered more an example of, for instance, "clear, sound reasoning?"

I have said many times, and will always say, that when it comes to language usage, there ain't no such thing as logical.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 04:38 am
@Setanta,
Sigh. I'll try again. Since you have, in my experience, displayed considerable perspicacity, I reluctantly begin to wonder if you may be deliberately mis-reading my posts. I asserted (and still do) that the meaning of 'logical' should be taken to be this one:

Quote:
[1] Of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument

That is, according to an "if A then B; if not A then C" scheme, which is a logic, thus the scheme is 'logical' as opposed to arbitrary. I am saying nothing about whether the scheme is admirable, or sensible, merely that it proceeds by a series of steps. You could lay it out in a simple example of those flow charts that process planners use - Does the punctuation belong with the quoted matter? Yes - place it before the closing quote mark; No - place the punctuation after the closing quote mark.

and not either of these:

Quote:
[1.1] Characterized by or capable of clear, sound reasoning

[1.2] (Of an action, decision, etc.) expected or sensible under the circumstances

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 05:14 am
Spare me the histrionic sigh.

Perhaps you could explain how the usage which you happen to prefer is superior in terms of formal argument, if that's the game you want to play.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Ok the sigh was over the top. It's not the usage I "happen to prefer"; it is one of two of which I am aware. I prefer neither.

I am not saying the 'logical' scheme is preferable because it is 'more logical' or anything like that. It is 'logical' in the way a computer program is 'logical'.

0 Replies

Sunshine21

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 09:41 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you for your response.

I am writing in Amercian English. Commas are placed withing the quotation marks. However this is not my question, the question is from an American perspective, do I use commas at all. I ask because usually periods and commas are replaced by question marks.
0 Replies