Commas or no commas in this sentence?

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 12:02 pm
I'm writing a newsletter for a managed care organization and it generally goes through a variety of levels for approval. They nitpick the hell out of grammar. This time I am really stumped as to what's right. So I wrote this sentence: THIS TERM COVERS A COMPLEX AND COMPREHENSIVE FIELD, AND THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT APPROACHES TO AND DEFINITIONS OF THE CONCEPT.
I say that the sentence should be left alone. That's my first instinct. Someone else questions if it should be written like this: THIS TERM COVERS A COMPLEX AND COMPREHENSIVE FIELD, AND THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT APPROACHES TO, AND DEFINITIONS OF, THE CONCEPT.
Which one of us is right? I'm cool with putting the commas in if I'm wrong, but it's just one of those things where I can see where both would be right.
Someone please help tell me!

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 12:40 pm
I hope you really aren't going to have the sentence all in capital letters like that! If you want to separate the discussed text from the surrounding material, use of quotes would be better.

The second of your sentences, the one by "someone else", is better.

0 Replies

xmlolx

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 12:44 pm
@helensattic,
i think it would be the 2nd one but im not 100% sure but im 96% sure if that helps
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 01:07 pm
@xmlolx,
Quote:
but im not 100% sure but im 96% sure

If you are not 100% sure, best to keep silent.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 01:11 pm
If you insist on this format, how about:

THIS TERM COVERS A COMPLEX AND COMPREHENSIVE FIELD, OF WHICH THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT APPROACHES AND DEFINITIONS TO ITS CONCEPT.

(caps, yours)

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 05:48 am
@helensattic,
Neither is wrong, but the latter is easier to read.
0 Replies