Kerry's Interminable Four Months (Combat Tour My ...)

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:56 pm
Then, people, what the hell do we have the CIA for?

Do we send future Presidents into the trenches with CIA operatives--so they'll have it first hand?

Do we just disband them?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:00 pm
what was it Reagan said 'trust but verify'?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:03 pm
Poor Bushie.

He just cain't win with you.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:14 pm
either can Kerry.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:15 pm
You're a hard man, cowboy.

Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:40 pm
well ma'am, I have a reputation to maintain.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:52 pm
Sofia wrote:
Then, people, what the hell do we have the CIA for?

That is a most excellent question.

A lot of sources (pages and pages and pages when you do google and factcheck.org searches) suggest that the failure of the U.S. to realize what was really going on in the middle east was related to problems with the C.I.A. (go back and look at what Kay had to say when he resigned in January - scathing).

I can recall a radio interview on the CBC just after 9-11 where some intelligence officers from Canada, Britain and Australia were discussing 'intelligence' - apparently the C.I.A. had very few operatives who could work in the middle east - hadn't kept up their recruiting in the right communities. (trying to recall which language they thought was so amazing - that the U.S. had no operatives in .... maybe I'll remember overnight)

ooh - here's a bit

Quote:
Security experts and former intelligence operatives alike denounced the FBI and CIA for allowing America to be taken by surprise.

The CIA, the high-spending, much-vaunted mainstay of American intelligence efforts, is being portrayed as a pampered monolith, rendered ineffective against international terrorism because of a reluctance on the part of its agents to penetrate activists' organisations.

In a gritty indictment of America's security operations, former CIA operative Reuel Marc Gerecht accused the agency of ignoring the basic counter-terrorism measure of infiltration. Writing in the Atlantic Monthly - before Tuesday's suicide attacks - he revealed that no attempt had been made to put undercover agents into Islamic fundamentalist organisations.

The use of these "non-official cover" officers - NOCs - had been overlooked by the CIA, he said, quoting one who had served in the Middle East.

Gerecht wrote: "He told me recently: 'We're still a group of fake businessmen who live in big houses overseas. We don't go to mosques and pray'."

The agency considers "behind-the-lines counterterrorism" to be too dangerous, he stated, and mocks its operatives' preference for a cosy life in the suburbs of Langley, Virginia, where the CIA has its headquarters.

He quotes a former operative from the "Near East Division" saying: "The CIA probably doesn't have a single truly qualified Arabic-speaking officer of Middle-Eastern background who can play a believable Muslim fundamentalist who would volunteer to spend years of his life with shitty food and no women, in the mountains of Afghanistan.

"Operations that include diarrhoea as a way of life don't happen."

Failure to make a determined attempt to neutralise Bin Laden seems especially baffling given the amount of evidence collected against him. Earlier this year four Bin Laden volunteers went on trial in Manhattan, a stone's throw from the scene of Tuesday's carnage, for complicity in bomb attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998.

Incredibly, the CIA and FBI took backseat roles in the trial. The FBI, CIA and the lavishlyfunded Joint Terrorist Task Force also knew that Bin Laden had set his sights on destroying the World Trade Center.

One of his followers, Ramzi Yousef, is now in jail in the US for trying to blow up the building in 1993. He openly admitted the aim had been to destroy the twin towers and background inquiries showed he also had plans for hijacking American passenger planes and kamikaze attacks.

Despite this the intelligence services appeared to have ignored the warnings. There have been other missed opportunities to spot what was coming, other intelligence services believe. Talk of a spectacular attack by Bin Laden's men had been coursing through Arab circles in recent weeks, even reaching the ears of Arab-language newspaper journalists.

In France the counter-espionage agency, the DST, appears to have had reports that an attack on American interests in France was being planned by the Bin Laden network. The French identified a man arrested by the FBI as an Islamic activist involved in the Pakistan-Afghan orbit and were astonished to hear nothing back.

link
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:03 pm
In See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism, author Bob Baer recounts his career running agents in the back alleys of the Middle East. In the process, he explains how terrorism works on the inside and provides an explanation of how Washington politics sabotaged the CIA's efforts to root out the world's deadliest terrorists. In the wake of September 11, Americans were left wondering how such an obviously long-term, globally coordinated plot could have escaped detection by the CIA and taken the nation by surprise. What could have led the nation's intelligence community to drop the ball? Talk to Bob Baer about the war on terrorism.

Missed the chat? Read the transcript below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dallas texas: why did it take the World Trade Centre for america to wake up and do somthing about air travel safty when they had plenty of wake up calls in the past.but just ignored them.if you ask me this could have all been prevented with proper safty personal

Robert Baer: My best guess is that we had a long siesta. At the end of the Cold War, all believed that there was no threat on this side of the ocean. We were complacent. That's the only way to describe it -- and not just the CIA. The entire federal government, the press and academics are also to blame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<snip>

Kansas City, Missouri: What goes through these people's mind that foces them to want to blow theselves and other people up?! What can we do as Americans do to help educate ourselve about Middle East and future?!

Robert Baer: The problem is a combination of extreme desperation and a messianic religion that permits suicide, which is unlike Christianity.

The best way to educate ourselves is to listen to these people. We know they're terrorists, but they don't. That doesn't mean we can't listen to them. We need to keep our fingers crossed that there's some nonviolent solution to this problem.

Alpharetta, GA: Why did the CIA fail to provide info to our government about this plot? Why were we not better prepared. I will say the way we shut down the commercial flights on 9/11 probably saved many lives.

Robert Baer: I think that the problem is that the CIA stopped collecting information in the Gulf, and in particular Saudi Arabia, and that we didn't have human sources inside the mosques of Saudi and in Europe where these young men were being recruited. There were too many people involved in this plot not to be able to penetrate it at some stage. When I was at the CIA I remarked that we had no information on Saudi Arabia.

<snip>

Alexandria, VA: How is it possible for the CIA to have few if any Arab speakers?

Robert Baer: The CIA actually has put a lot of people through Arabic, but once the Harvard Business School to management took over and the Arabists were promoted into management, their language abilites were squandered. What has to happen is that all officers should be promoted only on the basis of recruiting and handling agents, and not on their management skills. This would really help the CIA do better.

link
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:11 pm
Sofia wrote:
This is what I'm saying! You don't go before a Senate Committee with second-hand "he said" stuff.

Hell. I'll go and get his testimony.

hey sofia! ya might as well keep it by the box. we all seem to keep winding back up here.

"ah fee-ull yur pai-an"
Laughing
0 Replies