Kerry's Interminable Four Months (Combat Tour My ...)

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:46 am
JustWonders wrote:
PDiddie wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
You can still continue the lies and slander, but most, indeed the majority of Americans see it differently.

Delusional. You cannot even distinguish who is being slandered and lied about.

This is an adult conversation. Please go away and come back when you have grown up.

About what I expected Laughing

I guess you should expect it. It is right on the nose.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:48 am
(JW, he didn't say "Just like I did in Vietnam." That was added by the cartoonist.)

Really good point, FreeDuck, haven't seen it made and it's so pertinent. Vietnam was very much a part of the convention, but it so wasn't the only part. The keynote speaker was Barack Obama -- not a vet, no particular emphasis on Vietnam at all. Kerry's own acceptance speech had a whole lotta stuff besides Vietnam. So while it certainly was a part, we shouldn't be accepting this whole thing of "just running on his service in Vietnam" and arguing whether his service was honorable etc... the more important part is that he is in fact running on a whole lot more.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
And judging by the enormous sizes of his campaign rallies I'm guessing that we aren't the only ones who've noticed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:55 am
John Kerry is supposed to be on Jon Stewart's The Daily Show tonight. Anybody gonna watch?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:58 am
Oooh! Seriously? Gotta watch.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:05 am
Last night's Daily Show:

Quote:
STEWART: Here's what puzzles me most, Rob. John Kerry's record in Vietnam is pretty much right there in the official records of the US military, and haven't been disputed for 35 years?

CORDDRY: That's right, Jon, and that's certainly the spin you'll be hearing coming from the Kerry campaign over the next few days.

STEWART: That's not a spin thing, that's a fact. That's established.

CORDDRY: Exactly, Jon, and that established, incontravertible fact is one side of the story.

STEWART: But that should be -- isn't that the end of the story? I mean, you've seen the records, haven't you? What's your opinion?

CORDDRY: I'm sorry, my *opinion*? No, I don't have [makes quotation marks in the air with fingers] 'oh-pin-yuns'. I'm a reporter, Jon, and my job is to spend half the time repeating what one side says, and half the time repeating the other. Little thing called 'objectivity' -- might wanna look it up some day.

STEWART: Doesn't objectivity mean objectively weighing the evidence, and calling out what's credible and what isn't?

CORDDRY: Whoa-ho! Well, well, well -- sounds like someone wants the media to act as a filter! [high-pitched, effeminate] 'Ooh, this allegation is spurious! Upon investigation this claim lacks any basis in reality! Mmm, mmm, mmm.' Listen buddy: not my job to stand between the people talking to me and the people listening to me.

STEWART: So, basically, you're saying that this back-and-forth is never going to end.

CORDDRY: No, Jon -- in fact a new group has emerged, this one composed of former Bush colleages, challenging the president's activities during the Vietnam era. That group: Drunken Stateside Sons of Privilege for Plausible Deniability. They've apparently got some things to say about a certain Halloween party in '71 that involved trashcan punch and a sodomized piƱata. Jon -- they just want to set the record straight. That's all they're out for.

STEWART: Well, thank you Rob, good luck out there. We'll be right back.

God this is the truest fake news show on the air.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
Hilarious! Ok, now I have to watch.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:50 am
Hilarious??? I was drinking coffee when I read it! Pdiiddie, you owe me a new keyboard!!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
sozobe wrote:
Oooh! Seriously? Gotta watch.

That's what they were advertising yesterday. Mr.P was seriously bent when there was no Daily Show on Comedy Central -- they were showing a movie... Dogma, I think.

PDiddie- I saw that Rob Corddry bit last week. It was great!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:34 am
JustWonders wrote:
Quote:
I hear this a lot and I honestly wonder if you or others who say this watched the convention or have heard any of his speeches where he 'runs' on his war record?

http://www.heraldnet.com/gallery/images/BushPilots.jpg

i'm george w. bush and i'm reporting for duty?

oh, well. better late than never i guess.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
Better late then never DTOM. I think you should insert a little bubble over his head that says "I don't remember these uniforms crawling up my ass crack like this in the 70s".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:41 am
He was reporting to collect duty.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:20 pm
Jon Stewart was wrong.
Kerry's duty HAS been questioned over the past 35 years.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:23 pm
If that mattered, the next question would be by who(m), and when, and why? Because the who is at least as interesting as the why and when, and much more interesting than the what.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:28 pm
By the same guys who are continuing to question it now--swiftvets.

It matters, because Jon Stewart lied about it, and plenty of people, who think they are getting 'news' from him, buy it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
BBB
John Kerry actually volunteered for TWO tours of duty during the Vietnam war---not just four months as some A2Kers are claiming.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200312/brinkley

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
Some swiftvets. Which ones, and why and when.

This has been hashed to death - some people are going to see malice aforethought, and the fingerprints of Richard Nixon and other Republicans all over it - they are going to spot the interesting timing of the resurgence of some swiftvet activity - others will not see it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:48 pm
They say they resurfaced, because they don't think someone who lied about his service in Vietnam should be President. They're entitled to their opinion, and to tell their stories.

Its not about "seeing it". Everyone sees it. Its about evaluating the history of the anti-Kerry swiftvets, Kerry's refusal to open his records (as Bush has done) to public scrutiny--and the overwhelming number of vets, who served with Kerry, saying he is lying about them, their service, his injuries...

I didn't have a personal investment in finding Kerry to be a liar. When I saw that Kerry would be running for the Dems, I "knew" his service was great and Bush would lose this particular 'issue'.

But, the swiftvets deserved a read and consideration--and the overwhelming number of men against him--and the recent findings that Kerry's wounds were tiny and at least one was self-inflicted have caused me to severely doubt Kerry's veracity. This is further compounded by Kerry making it his singular most important issue.

No matter what the final decision individuals make--they should at least read all accounts objectively, IMO. And, they should know that this was not a Bush op, but a long-going affair.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm
Re: Kerry's Interminable Four Months (Combat Tour My ...)
Lusatian wrote:
People the courageous defense put up by some of you in support of John Kerry still fails to realize the crux of the matter. 4 MONTHS is nothing. I already have three tours in combat zones, 2 of which were over 4 months long. I've just received orders for an eight month stint on the Pakistani border in Afghanistan (this tour is considered medium length in regards to the average duty in today's army).

thank you for your voluntary service. if ya can, while you're in afghanistan, bust a few rounds into osama's cranium. in fact, kill him a couple of times. he deserves it...

i understand what you are trying to get across. ya know what bothers me about the "only 4 months" thing is this;

the "only 4 months" was during a re-up. the guy could have gone home if all he wanted to do was get a checkmark in the box next to "military service" on his resume. instead, he asked to be specifically assigned to a river boat, in country.

kerry and others would have been trained heavily in the v.c. tactics. wouldn't he have known what to expect? if he was only out for himself, as some say, wouldn't he have grabbed the discharge with both hands and booked on out instead of signing up for a second tour.? nothin' but dust and tail lights?

you are in. you know that you don't make the rules, the pentagon does. pentagon says what does or doesn't merit a purple heart, not you and not kerry. same goes for any other citation.

voluntary is voluntary. 4 months, 4 years, 4 hours. allowing this kind of b.s. judgement to define the guy's service to country cheapens what all of you guys are doing.

but o'neill and his swift boat veterans for bitterness don't care. to them, it's o.k. that they have opened the door to have every citation awarded, or that will be awarded, questioned. for them, it's not hypocritical to have recieved a medal based on the same report as kerry. thurlow claims that kerry wrote the report, yet i haven't heard that he's returned the star he received from the alledgedly bogus report. and he has yet to prove that kerry wrote the report, for that matter.

keep your ass down and your powder dry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
Kerry's records are open and on his website.

The overwhelming number of vets who most directly served with Kerry (9 out of 10) stand by him steadfastedly.

Sofia, have you seen the famous thread-stretcher graph? The one that shows that several of the very SBVFT guys coming out against Kerry now have previously had nice things to say about him?

In terms of reading all accounts objectively, which objective account is leading you to KNOW that this was not a Bush op? There is a lot of current stuff suggesting ties between Bushies and the SBVFTs. Objective, factual stuff. (Links on request, nimh already covered a lot of this I think.)
0 Replies