Kerry's Interminable Four Months (Combat Tour My ...)

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
Good one, McG. Blows Don't Tread's argument right out of the water. Ouch...

Or are you just being impudent?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:28 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Yup. And to add to your bottom line Bush in 2004-08 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Kerry in 2004-08 - Not.

that, my dear watson, is not a fact. that, is an opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:31 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Good one, McG. Blows Don't Tread's argument right out of the water. Ouch...

Or are you just being impudent?

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Gee, my father and uncle were both in Vietnam and neither of them saw any of the atrocoties that Kerry has claimed.

They were very lucky men.

The men I've known who served in Vietnam have some pretty horrific memories. Over the past two and a half decades, I've talked a few down from some awful nightmares based in the atrocities they saw. There is another poster here, who is partnered with a Vietnam/secret Cambodian mission vet - we have talked often about his ongoing difficulties with his experiences all of these years later. If there had been better counselling services available to him, both of their lives now would be much less painful.

Your father and uncle were indeed lucky in that regard.

Bloody double ditto to that, Beth.

And - I have treated a couple of them. I still have nightmares about the stuff they saw - and it weren't all being done to them - a fair whack of it was being done to villagers and such.

I know guys just talking about it now - one of my friends is now working on the psychiatric ward for the vets (almost exclusively for Vietnam vets - as it happens) and is actually TREATING their damn PTSD - as opposed to medicating it - I so know she is gonna have nightmares too.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:55 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How is it a smear to tell the truth?
Cycloptichorn

That was so good, I think we all need to read it again.

...and e-mail it to Kerry.
He keeps whining that the swiftvets are smearing him...
They're just telling the truth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:44 pm
How could that bunch of liars even recognize the truth?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:12 pm
bethie knows the story of Romeo D'Allaire. I cannot bring myself to read his book, because I know that without doubt the content will haunt me in a manner quite beyond my control. I reserve my deepest hatred for those who minimize war.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/nightline/nightline/transcripts/nl010207_trans.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:19 pm
Quote:
In 1993, Lt.-Gen. Romeo Dallaire and his Blue Berets landed in Rwanda to guard the peace between the battling Hutus and Tutsis. The country was in ruins, threatened by the chaos of civil war. Suspecting a plot of genocide, Dallaire planned pre-emptive action. But the United Nations curbed Dallaire's plans. Machete-wielding forces moved systematically through the country, slaughtering innocents. A year later, Dallaire and the peacekeepers left Rwanda. In 100 days, close to 800,000 Rwandans were brutally murdered by their fellow countrymen.

In this CBC Television interview, Dallaire recalls being undermined by the United Nations, his dismissal from the military, and his subsequent deep depression. Dallaire stoically recalls the Rwanda peacekeeping operation and says with emotion and regret, "I failed yes, the mission failed and they died by the thousands."

cbc archives - video clip

He speaks, and writes, most eloquently about his experiences and his depression.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:31 am
Hmmm - very interesting - We met up with my step-son on Saturday. he is in the Army - and we were discussing stuff. He mentioned the Oz soldiers who went to Rwanda as part of the UN contingent - and how the rules of engagement forced them to sit back while genocide was committed. He said they were suffering very badly.....

Stuff sucks - and, it seems, Rwanda may be warming up for a second round.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:48 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Bush was also "safe at sea" and still is.

i must be getting old. it took a while for that one to sink in. nice...
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:21 am
ehBeth wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Gee, my father and uncle were both in Vietnam and neither of them saw any of the atrocoties that Kerry has claimed.

They were very lucky men.

The men I've known who served in Vietnam have some pretty horrific memories. Over the past two and a half decades, I've talked a few down from some awful nightmares based in the atrocities they saw. There is another poster here, who is partnered with a Vietnam/secret Cambodian mission vet - we have talked often about his ongoing difficulties with his experiences all of these years later. If there had been better counselling services available to him, both of their lives now would be much less painful.

Your father and uncle were indeed lucky in that regard.

The Swiftboat Liars latest ad edits Kerry's quotes to make it sound like he is talking about witnessing atrocities. Kerry never said he witness the atrocities, he said veterans at a gathering in Detroit afew weeks earlier had related the atrocities to him.

The Swiftboat liars are lying liars who lie.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:00 pm
An undergraduate from the Al Franken School of Literature...
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
All you left-wing posters will ignore almost anything that qualifies Mr. Kerry in even a partially negative light. Even if it is the truth, squeals ring out from every corner of the political left. The stark difference between the president's campaign and Kerry's is that the president has no need of hawking back 30 years to a meager 4 MONTHS, and 4 MONTHS alone, of dangerous duty to certify him as a competent and strong commander. President Bush was thoroughly certified through his actions following 9/11 in calming the nation, promising a swift and decisive response and then delivering exactly what he promised.

Pretender Kerry, on the other hand, has spent the 30 years since his Vietnam experience commanding nothing aside from his self-aggrandizement machine. He desperately needs those 4 MONTHS of duty to cover 30 years of political scheming and maneuvering where the most impressive leadership quality he demostrated was a knack for taking NO stand "dangerous" enough to offend anyone.

Look at your darling's record and you will see barely a handful of legislation with his name on it. Eschew the superfluous ones (such as those renaming buildings) and you will see the grand marks of a true "commander". He instills in me and most other men in uniform a jaded comtempt borne from one who wishes to lead, but brings only stories, scripted rhetoric, and 4 MONTHS that supposedly gives him experience and proves character.

If this is what beguiles you you may want to look around you, you may find yourself in the midst of a mob flocking behind a talkative demagogue.

(I would much prefer people be honest and say they support Kerry merely because they detest Bush. That is understandable and would leave room to admit how uninspiring, unoriginal, and unproven Kerry really is).
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:11 pm
Harper wrote:
Kerry never said he witness the atrocities, he said veterans at a gathering in Detroit afew weeks earlier had related the atrocities to him.

you are right, of course. and this has been pointed out before. REPEATEDLY...

why let facts or accuracy get in the way of "truth"?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 06:41 pm
So, he went before a Senate committee with ....gossip?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:56 pm
Sofia wrote:
So, he went before a Senate committee with ....gossip?

come on sofia, that one is so not up to your usual standards...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
It wasn't all gossip, Kerry admitted to some atrocities.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:01 pm
This is what I'm saying! You don't go before a Senate Committee with second-hand "he said" stuff.

Hell. I'll go and get his testimony.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:09 pm
Sofia wrote:
This is what I'm saying! You don't go before a Senate Committee with second-hand "he said" stuff.

nor should you go to the UN (or Congress) with second-hand **** to start a war.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Sofia wrote:

nor should you go to the UN (or Congress) with second-hand **** to start a war.

or to justify an invasion.
0 Replies