Christian discussion

neologist

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 06:26 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
Necessity is the mother of invention. . .
I've always favored curiosity.
Not for everyone, I guess.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 06:38 pm
@neologist,
I wonder if speaking with Darwin would be interesting for you.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 06:39 pm
@neologist,
Nice thought, but it's not enough. Need drives us, curiosity is just for distraction.
neologist

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 08:42 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Speak for yourself. I have a need to learn and achieve.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 08:44 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
I wonder if speaking with Darwin would be interesting for you.
I expect I may have the opportunity. I'm sure that for many folks, I will have to wait in line. No problem when you have the time.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:29 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
". . . What do you most look forward to doing with no obstacles in life and all your needs fulfilled?"

Neo said:
I have a great interest in chemistry but little time to pursue it.
Also art, particularly painting.
Music - not just the harmonica Laughing
Travel
I love gardening.
Home building and decorating
I'd like to really develop my skills in computing and its related technologies.
Other stuff too. . .

Then, there's my family.
I'd kind of like to have conversations with my great grandparents - and their great grandparents as far back as far back goes. Imagine the family picnics! And I'd like the pleasure of seeing my great grandchildren as they develop. Carole and I would never tire of it.

Also, there are more than a few historical figures I would like to meet. Newton, for one. I could provide a long list.

All fine things, and with the exception of gardening and talking to historical figures and other departed people, that's what I do now. But I'm afraid I tire of much of it. I'm picking up the dream hotrod of my youth tomorrow and to be honest, I'm not all that excited. Without a new dimension to existence it all gets old.

Talking to historical figures could be fun for awhile. I do imagine talking to my partner's deceased husband who was a world class neuro scientist and a fine man. He of course believed that abiogenesis and evolution explained our existence and I imagine he, Darwin and a host of others saying something like "Oh my God, it was right there in front of me, what the hell was I Thinking!". If our paths cross it might be interesting talking to my 3 ex wives as well.

One thing you mentioned required some critical timing though. Things would have to happen just right for you to watch your grandchildren grow up during that time. Or do you envision having more children and then grandchildren on 'New Earth'?
oristarA

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 06:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Do you know what is the best function of able2know, leadfoot?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 06:41 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
You're look'n at it.
oristarA

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:16 am
@Leadfoot,
So you don't know? Or do not know it well enough?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:39 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
You're look'n at it.

Which one? I'm looking at a bunch of its functions.
rrasmussen

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 12:30 pm
@neologist,
This doesn't answer the questions! If
there was nothing then how can we determine what's good and evil?
neologist

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 04:21 pm
@rrasmussen ,
rrasmussen wrote:
This doesn't answer the questions! If
there was nothing then how can we determine what's good and evil?
It is not within our prerogatives nor our abilities to determine what is good and what is bad. Adam and Eve were endowed with a perfect conscience which would have made it impossible for them to lie, cheat, steal, or murder. By eating the fruit they rejected those standards.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:42 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
You're look'n at it.

Which one? I'm looking at a bunch of its functions.

And what is the core of science, if you'd like to answer?
neologist

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:19 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
And what is the core of science, if you'd like to answer?
What do you mean by "core"?
The center requires a balance between rational thought and empiricism. Neither is sufficient; and that's a problem.
0 Replies

rrasmussen

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:05 am
@oristarA,
The world is sinful whether it is Christians who sin or not! There would still be sin and pain and crimes. Believing in Jesus will give us salvation and we will have eternal life with no crimes and suffering.
rrasmussen

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:06 am
@ehBeth,
do you believe that Adam is alive today
0 Replies

rrasmussen

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:11 am
@Setanta,
attacking people's characters? Common error I see? Are you so perfect then?
0 Replies

rrasmussen

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:03 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Can we recall the first comment you posted on the page and help me understand why you said because he doesn't love us? Can you elaborate and tell me how what you believe?!
oristarA

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Well, let's not beat around the bush and be straight:

One of the best functions of able2know is its faithfully recording what a poster says: a post can no more be edited after several minutes of having been posted.

And the core of science is honesty.

I've been consistently pointing out that"Evolutionary model is a corner stone of life science...The function of its guidance is a default".

Yet leadfoot attacked it as "repeating a falsehood". And now he pretends that "evolutionary model is a corner stone of life science" "was never in dispute".

Leadfoot wrote:

My dear man, I do not dispute that 'the language of God' is found in biology. Of course God used common mechanisms through all species. That was never in dispute.

Well, to gloss over this shocking mistake, he explains how a scientist can build a castle in the air:

Leadfoot wrote:

When a scientist experiments on a rat, he assumes a similar mechanism is used in humans. But when he does the actual work on the rat, his work is guided by the biological phenomenon right before his eyes. At this point he no longer thinks about evolution or God's common use of biological functions at all. At the conclusion of his work, he will then assume it applied to the human condition he was addressing.

So you see, the neuro scientist is no more focused on evolution during his work than he is of 'God's language of biology'. He is totally immersed in reverse engineering the design, regardless of how it originated.

Sound good? When Francis Collins said "it is difficult to imagine how one would study life without it (the theory of evolution)", our dear leadfoot cheerfully declared that he could easily imagine it. The word study in Collins' expression is the process of research, not otherwise. Life evolution is an unbroken line, starting from 4 billion years ago, that continues to today's every living creature. Thus, the direction of life science, neuroscience being here included, is how to better accelerate the evolution.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:56 pm
@rrasmussen ,
I know you have an agenda; to spew your Christianity all over the internet. That's what your god commands, isn't it? Spread the word. I simply answered as obviously as I could: He allows you to suffer because he doesn't like you. Doesn't that make enough sense? If I had the power to end someone's suffering, but did not, it must be because I don't like that person. Simple. Of course you won't listen to a real explanation, you're too busy spreading the word... you're certainly spreading something.