12
   

Christian discussion

 
 
oristarA
 
  2  
Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I get the implication - (that 93% of the NAS scientists are atheists) but beyond that, how does that validate or support Gervais's atheism? (even if that stat was true)

I guess you are saying that God's existence is a matter of votes, and only scientists get to vote?

And since Gervais's post went viral, it must be true?


Sounds very 'sciencey' to me.

Next up: Is Kim Kardasian's butt the best in the world? What say you NAS guys?


Not all. You've erected a straw-man and hit it.

God's existence, or God Hypothesis, is a matter of science that can be verified or falsified by the ways of science.

The statistical datum about NAS guys' view on God's existence was simply drawn from a peer-reviewed article from Nature, one of the leading scientific journals:

Leading scientists still reject God

The datum points out a fact about how leading scientists view the God existence, but neither verifying nor falsifying it.

Gervais cited it. That is all, And must the datum be true? Nature often publishes high-quality articles of science, which gives us the confidence that the datum is quite reliable.

So whether Gervais's post went viral or not, one may laugh it off: If you want to be serious, look into Nature to find out the original article.
Leadfoot
 
  0  
Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 01:26 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
God's existence, or God Hypothesis, is a matter of science that can be verified or falsified by the ways of science.
I'm almost afraid to ask but - You're serious about that?
I suppose they used a Psychokinetic Energy Meter to verify their findings? Ghostbusters everywhere swear by them.
oristarA
 
  2  
Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 02:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Herein lies the nub of the problem: Your knowledge are still staying in the era of Einstein. Have you, e.g., ever read A Brief History of Time and The Grand Design? Ever read any reports about latest development of neuroscience?
rrasmussen
 
  0  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:27 am
@oristarA,
Did you believe that Adam and Eve died once they ate the fruit?
rrasmussen
 
  2  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
If you do not believe in any God then how do
you determine what is good and what is evil?
Leadfoot
 
  -1  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:34 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Ever read any reports about latest development of neuroscience?
Yes. I have had many good laughs from them.

So how would you gain any insights about God's existence from "A Brief History Of Time"? I've only read some of it but saw no connection.
rrasmussen
 
  -1  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:35 am
@oristarA,
You cannot judge Christ by His sinful and imperfect people.If you are looking for Christ don't look at his imperfect people but look at Him. You cannot throw out the entire religion because of those who struggle more then others with sin. Every single person sins whether they are in jail or not they are breaking Gods law/commandments.
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:44 am
@rrasmussen ,
Quote:
Every single person sins whether they are in jail or not they are breaking Gods law/commandments.
Not me. I quit. Now I just screw up royally.

But that's a different thing..
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 10:53 am
@rrasmussen ,
rrasmussen wrote:
If you do not believe in any God then how do
you determine what is good and what is evil?
Did Adam and Eve actually get to determine good and evil by eating the fruit, or did they damage the conscience God created in them? That humans continue to have the remnants of that conscience is referenced by Paul in his letter to the Romans, as I noted in my answer to Robert posted here.
oristarA
 
  2  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 08:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

So how would you gain any insights about God's existence from "A Brief History Of Time"? I've only read some of it but saw no connection.


For most of people the book neither proves nor denies the existence of God. But reading through it would have paved the way to the better understanding of the most important view of The Grand Design, in which Hawking points out a universe that creates itself is the best model - the spontaneous creation does not need God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going.


Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Ever read any reports about latest development of neuroscience?
Yes. I have had many good laughs from them.



That is why you are profoundly ignorant in science. Leading scientists have well realized that human's central nervous system, where the so-called soul arises, it is no more than an assemblage of fundamental particles, which can be quantified by scientific measures.
oristarA
 
  1  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:12 pm
@rrasmussen ,
rrasmussen wrote:

Did you believe that Adam and Eve died once they ate the fruit?


Please think a bit more before asking questions.

Insects, birds, mice and monkeys... a lot of them eat fruits, don't they? Simple observations help to draw a better conclusion: the fruit is poisonous or not.

Adam has demonstrated his wonderful expertise by naming every life in the entire animal kingdom and plant kingdom (has Adam named every life in fungus kingdom, too? He simply lived for 930 years, far too short to complete the mission of denominating), So he's smart enough to observe before taking action.
oristarA
 
  2  
Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 09:25 pm
@rrasmussen ,
rrasmussen wrote:

You cannot judge Christ by His sinful and imperfect people.If you are looking for Christ don't look at his imperfect people but look at Him. You cannot throw out the entire religion because of those who struggle more then others with sin. Every single person sins whether they are in jail or not they are breaking Gods law/commandments.


So why do you want to persuade people to believe Jesus Christ? In order to increase the rate of crime for our society?

My opinion is: To make the planet a better, safer place, it is reasonable not to believe in Jesus Christ or any other gods who are actually the imaginations of man.
Leadfoot
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 05:05 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
That is why you are profoundly ignorant in science. Leading scientists have well realized that human's central nervous system, where the so-called soul arises, it is no more than an assemblage of fundamental particles, which can be quantified by scientific measures.
Oh here we go, declare the other side to be ignorant and call it good.

You fail to cite any specific research but I can guess you refer to those FMRI studies of various religious people praying and seeing which part of the brain lights up or similar studies. I know enough about the brain to know that is far from understanding it in ANY real way.

Hawking's 'self creating universe', Yeah, I've heard that story too. Also very funny. Pure speculation based on his own 'religion'. Neither of us knows math well enough to follow his logic but when I examine the work, I can see there are enough arbitrarily assigned values to make it far from convincing, not to mention silly in the face of common sense.
rrasmussen
 
  0  
Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 12:26 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Could you clarify that?
0 Replies
 
oristarA
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 05:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Oh here we go, declare the other side to be ignorant and call it good.

You fail to cite any specific research but I can guess you refer to those FMRI studies of various religious people praying and seeing which part of the brain lights up or similar studies. I know enough about the brain to know that is far from understanding it in ANY real way.



Yeah, frontier science is still far from proving it. Not only that, I'd like to point out that science can never prove it. No scientific theory or model can prove itself to be absolutely correct. So you are qualified to declare that God created human brain and bestowed it with a soul? So you are gratified to be imbued with confidence to announce that Hawking's work is " silly in the face of common sense" and is a "pure speculation"?

But the real way of science is to falsify it.

Countless hard evidence proved evolution (or falsified creation). Yet you still believe that God created Adam and Eve. Those hard evidence are in your eye "pure speculation" and "silly in the face of common sense". Oh, you'd protest that you said that to Hawking's work, not to the evolution theory. But sorry, the evolution theory is one of the vital sources that inspire him for his creative scientific work, a firm step from which he comes along: If God played no role in creating human being, had He played a role in creating our Universe?



Quote:

Hawking's 'self creating universe', Yeah, I've heard that story too. Also very funny. Pure speculation based on his own 'religion'. Neither of us knows math well enough to follow his logic but when I examine the work, I can see there are enough arbitrarily assigned values to make it far from convincing, not to mention silly in the face of common sense.
Leadfoot
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:59 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
So you are qualified to declare that God created human brain and bestowed it with a soul?
The comment I made about the brain was strictly pointing out the ridiculous claims that neuro science has made about it. God, soul, etc had nothing to do with that quote.

But obviously you have a hard-on for anything theological and always ready to vilify it.
Which is fine by me, but make your attacks relevant to the quote.
rrasmussen
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 10:39 am
@oristarA,
What do you believe happens after someone dies? If no one believed in Jesus Christ then wouldn't things like murder, stealing, and adultery be ok? How do you determine what is right and wrong?
rrasmussen
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 10:41 am
@oristarA,
Why would God only want to create the universe? What purpose would that serve if there were no humans and animals along with it?
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 10:44 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Adam was alive long enough to have named all the animals;


Adam is alive today?
rrasmussen
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 10:45 am
@oristarA,
They did not die immediately but because Eve ate the fruit they received death after many year, is that correct to say?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 11/30/2021 at 12:43:04