Christian discussion

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 09:35 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

The comment I made about the brain was strictly pointing out the ridiculous claims that neuro science has made about it. God, soul, etc had nothing to do with that quote.

But obviously you have a hard-on for anything theological and always ready to vilify it.
Which is fine by me, but make your attacks relevant to the quote.

So you are totally unaware of the fact that evolution theory is one of the fundamental bases of neuroscience without which brain research will go nowhere?

Evolution theory is a guidance that points the right direction and leads research little by little to the truth.
neologist

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 09:59 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
. . . Evolution theory is a guidance that points the right direction and leads research little by little to the truth.
Are you saying it currrently does not have the truth?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 11:03 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
So you are totally unaware of the fact that evolution theory is one of the fundamental bases of neuroscience without which brain research will go nowhere?
Until his untimely death a few years ago, one of my friends was a neuro scientist and the director of the Brain Institute at UF. He was a believer in evolution but he said evolution had nothing to do with the direction their research took. The examples he described to me were nothing but reverse engineering of what they observed. It might be said after the fact that 'Isn't that amazing how the brain evolved that function, etc.", but that is an assumption and after the fact.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 04:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
Well, has he ever said that brain is itself a product of evolution? Has he ever said that brain was made by God?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 08:13 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Well, has he ever said that brain is itself a product of evolution?
That gave me a good laugh remembering him. One of his favorite sayings was "True, true, but irrelevant" .

Whether he would say the brain was a result of evolution has nothing to do with the point we were discussing.

You previously said:
Quote:
oristarA wrote:
. . . Evolution theory is a guidance that points the right direction and leads research little by little to the truth.

The point is that this is not true, evolutionary theory does not guide the vast majority of neurological research. I'm sure there exists neuro research projects somewhere that does focus on that but it would be the exception and probably more accurately called an Evolution research project rather than neuro.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 11:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

evolutionary theory does not guide the vast majority of neurological research.

Yes it does. Evolutionary model is a corner stone of life science. Without it the science will go nowhere.

The function of its guidance is a default. Branches of life science vary, yet the root of them remains the same: life is the product of evolution, not created by any supernatural force.

Your argument would apparently imply that "it is possible that God designed the human life" - that is misguiding; that is utterly false.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 11:15 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

oristarA wrote:
. . . Evolution theory is a guidance that points the right direction and leads research little by little to the truth.
Are you saying it currrently does not have the truth?

It is not clear what your "it" refers to. Please clarify it.

If it meant "the evolution theory", then are you sure there is no grammatical error in your sentence?
neologist

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 12:01 am
@oristarA,
Surely, if you are merely leaning towards the truth, you are not yet there.
oristarA

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 12:19 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Surely, if you are merely leaning towards the truth, you are not yet there.

I see. You meant God is the TRUTH. Such effrontery is rooted in your God illusion. Yet ILLUSION itself is not the TRUTH. Just look into Ten Commandments. What are in there? The TRUTH?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 07:02 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Yes it does. Evolutionary model is a corner stone of life science. Without it the science will go nowhere.
Oh good grief. Why did I even bother to hit 'reply'.

Hmmmm.... Should I believe a neuro scientist or oristar....
oristarA

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 08:56 am
@Leadfoot,
Do you understand what is Nullius in verba?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 09:26 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Non satis est puris versum perscribere verbis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 12:07 pm
@oristarA,
To be honest: because it's 50 years ago since I'd read Horace in school, I had to look it up again:
the correct wording of the complete sentence is "Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, – quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes." ( Horace: Epistles, Book I, epistle I, lines 14 and 15)

My quote is the complete sentence (Book I, satire iv, line 54).

rrasmussen

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 02:00 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Hell is the punishment for all sins committed; swearing,killing,lying and stealing. We are all destined for Hell but if we believe in Christ we receive salabtion from Hell.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 03:59 pm
What the hell is salabtion?

Whoa . . . you're not contagious, are you?
oristarA

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 05:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It's different with mine.
Would you like to translate your Latin sentence into English? Of course I'll give the English version of mine.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 07:43 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Do you understand that repeating a falsehood does not make it any more correct?
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 10:09 pm
@rrasmussen ,
So you refrain from sin because you fear the consequences in the afterlife.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 10:39 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
It's different with mine.
Would you like to translate your Latin sentence into English?
I beg your pardon!
you wrote:
And since you asked about the understand of a few words, Horace wrote, I gave the complete sentence.

What version of Horace do you have? Horace didn't write different ones to my knowledge. But I must be wrong, since you got one.
oristarA

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 01:54 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Do you understand that repeating a falsehood does not make it any more correct?

Poor leadfoot, do you still remember that I said "you are profoundly ignorant in science"? Your thinking pattern confirms it once again.

Well, it seems that I have no other choice but to introduce some basic knowledge here, for you, and for your lot:

(1) Do you agree that the theory of evolution is a corner stone of biology?

Most of today's sincere biologists answer this with a resounding Yes.

(2) Neuroscience is also usually called neurobiology. Traditionally, neuroscience is considered as a branch of biology.

(3) Among many branches of neurobiology, or neuroscience, there is Evolutionary Neurobiology, which studies the evolution of nervous systems.

You said your nueroscientist friend "said evolution had nothing to do with the direction their research took." I hope his research is not Evolutionary Neurobiology. In what context did he say it?

And finally, Francis Collins, the director of NIH, concluded in the page 96 of his The Language of God:

Quote:
No serious biologist today doubts the theory of evolution to explain the marvelous complexity and diversity of life. In fact, the relatedness of all species through the mechanism of evolution is such a profound foundation for the understanding of all biology that it is difficult to imagine how one would study life without it.