Accepting the unacceptable

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 04:21 pm
I've been in a relationship now for almost 2 years and for the most part its wonderful. He is my best friend but I am having a very big problem with something and I'm not sure if u should accept/get over or confront it 100%. In my husbands last relationship he had a step son and he chose to be in his life he made the decision to activity engage in this child's life. Such as taking the time to go and meet with teachers about that child's learning etc. He would take this child to school before work and pretty much be everything a father would be. Also in his past relationship his ex cheated on him several times him taking her. He also worked the entire time they were together supporting her and her child well. Eventually they ended the relationship. And months later we met and r now married. All of this information I know of becausevof the stories he would tell me. Well when we met he lived in a different town and had a job and house and when our relationship got serious he decided to leave from the town he lived in and move in with me because I care for my elderly mother. I was ok with this. So at first when he got there we had several things that needed to be done because with only females there were some repairs that needed to be done that we were unable to do and my mother asked him to hold off job hunting till we got these minor repairs done first. Him and my children got along. Now its 1 1/2 later and he still has not gotten a job and he all but avoids participating in my children's lives at all. He tells me thats he has never loved anyone as much as
But yet he has no intention on supporting me like he did her and he does not make any effort to be a part of my kids lives. He won't even get out of bed and get my sin up for school but yet he took part in his exstepsons school stuff and drove him to school every morning so that child wouldn't have to get on the bus so early.
So how am I suppose to fell knowing that he took time to be in his exstepsons life and he went tobwork everyday to support hercand her child but now he could care less about supporting me or my sin like he did her and he avoids my child or being in his life like he was the other child. I want to know how I'm not suppose to let this bother me. Because it bothers me bad. Why would he do for her and her son but not for me and my son. I've tried to let it go but it literally eats me alive. I'm jealous and envious of a cheating no good ex and that makes me sick. I am not at all a bad person so why do I have to be jealous of sumone so low. Please help I am begging for sum advise other wise this is going to consume me.

vikorr

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 04:40 pm
@Soyousay,
Have you ever met or seen this other woman & her son?

It is highly unusual (in the extreme) for people to change character traits. Character traits are your underlying values, beliefs, and drives that lead you to decide how you want to deal with life (while personality traits dictate how you express yourself).

In other words, a person who is child oriented, and bent on taking care of his spouse....rarely goes the other way to becoming a bludger with no interest in his new family's children....

....because the desire to look after & provide for your loved one, and to be involved in the lives of children in your family - is a character trait - driven by underlying values/beliefs/drives.

----------------------------------

As for what you want to do - have a look at:

- what you & your son need in life (to be happy, and for him - happy & well rounded as he grows)
- what you & your son want in life (your hopes & desires - extra to the above)
- and what you see as the outcome of a very long term relationship with this man (in relation to the above)

And make your decision based on that.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 08:38 pm
Do you now believe these "stories" he told you about his devotion to this stepson and his sacrifices to his former marriage?
Perhaps it was all made up.
In any case, he's not keeping up his part of a relationship and dealing with children. That was part of the package, right?
I think you were probably told lies and his true self is being revealed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 08:43 pm
@Soyousay,
What does he say when you talk to him about your concerns?

As I read your post, it seems to me that he sounds as if he might be suffering from depression.

I'm also concerned about your mother having asked him to put off working to help around the house. Does she have a lot of say about what happens in the home? it doesn't sound very healthy to me. Is it necessary for you to live in her home? could you live elsewhere with your family and just go to her home occasionally? it seems like that might be better for a newly married couple.
0 Replies