Intimidation and speech: Who is trying to silence whom?

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:24 pm
Harper, ever been to the moon?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:30 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
I love it when so many on here ignore the question and instead attack a source or the poster of the question. I think it is a valid question to discuss. So many on here posted things claiming that those who tried to get theaters to not show F9/11 were somehow trying to censure material. But now when the shoe is on the other foot, nobody seems to want to post a thread complaining about the Kerry team wanting to keep this book off the shelves. Just seems a bit funny to me.

What was the question? It's hard to talk about the issues he's raising because it's hard to understand who's doing what. I have trouble engaging in dialogue about over-generalized accusations of hypocrisy.

In other words, invalid strawman arguments.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
Notice how McG answers a question with a question when he's looking for extra time?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:35 pm
Is that what you think the Provocateur is doing?

Is this the "Can We Talk?" thread?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm
might as well be
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm
panzade, how much time do i need to say no? Harper and others seem to think that by not seeing a movie, one is somehow unable to criticise it. I asked what I did to demonstrate the point that one does not need to experience something to speak of it.

Or we're you purposefully being obtuse?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
Harper wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
I love it when so many on here ignore the question and instead attack a source or the poster of the question. I think it is a valid question to discuss. So many on here posted things claiming that those who tried to get theaters to not show F9/11 were somehow trying to censure material. But now when the shoe is on the other foot, nobody seems to want to post a thread complaining about the Kerry team wanting to keep this book off the shelves. Just seems a bit funny to me.

What was the question? It's hard to talk about the issues he's raising because it's hard to understand who's doing what. I have trouble engaging in dialogue about over-generalized accusations of hypocrisy.

In other words, invalid strawman arguments.

So Harper, tell us what your opinion is rather than make comments designed to denigrate what someone else writes. Was it ok for republican organizations to try to get theaters not to show F9/11? Is it ok for Kerry to try to pressure bookstores not to sell the book "Unfit to Command"?

That is the point of the article which started this thread. Personally, I think both groups have every right to put pressure on anyone they wish to convince someone not to do something. But it is hypocritical of anyone, repub or dem, to say one was ok but the other is not. There is no strawman argument here. No argument at all, except with those who rather than address the point of the article decide to attack the source in order to invalidate the question the article raised.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:51 pm
I know I'm a little late, but I just had to comment on this:

panzade wrote:
If self-righteousness in politics was a laxative we'd be breathing through straws.

Thanks, panzade, that gave me the best chuckle of the week so far.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:51 pm
McGentrix wrote:
panzade, how much time do i need to say no? Harper and others seem to think that by not seeing a movie, one is somehow unable to criticise it. I asked what I did to demonstrate the point that one does not need to experience something to speak of it.

Or we're you purposefully being obtuse?

I think that when you are speaking of a movie, yes, you have to see it to criticise it. How can you speak specifically about what is wrong or right with the movie, or compare the movie to political adds if you haven't seen it?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Harper, ever been to the moon?

No but I hear most of your buddies have been to Uranus. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
Damn, Harper! You stole that from my post this morning.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
If it is true that Unfit for Command is indeed libelous then there is a precedent for having the book removed. There is no precedent I know of that justifies banning a documentary film because one disagrees with the creator's point of view. That said, if it were up to me, I would just let the book fall on its own lack of merit.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:09 pm
Yeah Mcg, I was being deliberately obtuse...that's my way of stallin for time.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:13 pm
It is not possible to validly criticize a movie without seeing it. Anyone who argues otherwise loses all credibilty with me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
That's why I can't criticize it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:21 pm
That's why I can.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:23 pm
So what's your criticism of F9/11?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:33 pm
Harper wrote:
If it is true that Unfit for Command is indeed libelous then there is a precedent for having the book removed. There is no precedent I know of that justifies banning a documentary film because one disagrees with the creator's point of view. That said, if it were up to me, I would just let the book fall on its own lack of merit.

Unbelievable!!!! We agree on something. Smile

If it is libelous, then of course the sale of said book can be stopped. But to do so, Kerry would have to (I believe) sue for libel, which he should do if he can prove the libel. (Now I know there may be political reasons not to do so)

Personally, if the book is full of bogus charges, I hope he does sue them at some point and wins. But I won't hold my breath because I think there is enough truth behind some of what they claim to make Kerry nervous. But of course, I cannot criticize the book since I have not read it. lol
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
panzade wrote:
So what's your criticism of F9/11?

I thought it was pretty funny. I took it to be a factually accurate but very slanted view of the present administration and its connections. I thought it was worth the money to see it and I would recommend it to others who won't get their feelings hurt by watching Bush brutalize the 'fool me once' saying.
0 Replies