Intimidation and speech: Who is trying to silence whom?

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:19 am
PREPARING to secure the Republican National Convention in New York City this week, the FBI interviewed a small number of radicals it suspected of plotting to firebomb media vehicles during the convention. The left attacked, saying the FBI was trying to intimidate protesters into staying home.

Of course, if bombs go off during the convention, the left will fault the FBI (and President Bush) for not doing its job, which the left wants to prevent it from doing.

Meanwhile, John Kerry is trying to get bookstores to stop carrying "Unfit for Command," the best-selling book in which veterans challenge Kerry's war record. So, where is the left-wing outrage over Kerry's attack on free speech?What irks us is the self-righteousness of those who claim to take the high road while slogging through the low one.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:31 am
Ah, yes, The Union Leader. A leading voice for the rightist point of view for generations. Excellent source, McG!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:33 am
As long as we get Bush out of the white house, who cares?

(edited to remove a term displaying judgement in my part).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:33 am
*sigh*

Does the source make the opinion less relevent?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:34 am
If self-righteousness in politics was a laxative we'd be breathing through straws.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:36 am
Who is 'the left' and where can I find them?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:39 am
I'm sorry, but we at The Left, LLC, will either find you ourselves, or simply ignore your existence as being irrelevant to our elitist agenda . . .
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:43 am
I love it when so many on here ignore the question and instead attack a source or the poster of the question. I think it is a valid question to discuss. So many on here posted things claiming that those who tried to get theaters to not show F9/11 were somehow trying to censure material. But now when the shoe is on the other foot, nobody seems to want to post a thread complaining about the Kerry team wanting to keep this book off the shelves. Just seems a bit funny to me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:46 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm sorry, but we at The Left, LLC, will either find you ourselves, or simply ignore your existence as being irrelevant to our elitist agenda . . .

Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
CoastalRat wrote:
I love it when so many on here ignore the question and instead attack a source or the poster of the question. I think it is a valid question to discuss. So many on here posted things claiming that those who tried to get theaters to not show F9/11 were somehow trying to censure material. But now when the shoe is on the other foot, nobody seems to want to post a thread complaining about the Kerry team wanting to keep this book off the shelves. Just seems a bit funny to me.

What was the question? It's hard to talk about the issues he's raising because it's hard to understand who's doing what. I have trouble engaging in dialogue about over-generalized accusations of hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
I attack the source because that piece is full of opinion and interpretation.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
Sorry FreeDuck, I misread something in the original post. There was no question of course. LOL McG's post just brought up a point that I though was interesting and had some validity, then several posters make non-relavent comments about the source of the article as though that invalidates anything the article points out. It is that to which I should have pointed my comments and I definately misspoke when I mentioned about ignoring a question.

Thanks for keeping me straight.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
No problem CR, didn't mean it as a rebuke, only as clarification for my own non-engaging response.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
Re: Intimidation and speech: Who is trying to silence whom?
McGentrix wrote:
PREPARING to secure the Republican National Convention in New York City this week, the FBI interviewed a small number of radicals it suspected of plotting to firebomb media vehicles during the convention. The left attacked, saying the FBI was trying to intimidate protesters into staying home.

Of course, if bombs go off during the convention, the left will fault the FBI (and President Bush) for not doing its job, which the left wants to prevent it from doing.

Actually I have no problem with the FBI checking out leads about terrorist.

Meanwhile, John Kerry is trying to get bookstores to stop carrying "Unfit for Command," the best-selling book in which veterans challenge Kerry's war record. So, where is the left-wing outrage over Kerry's attack on free speech?

Is it really a best selling book? Anyway, I don't blame Kerry for wanting to get it kicked off the shelves. In my opinion Kerry should sue the lot of them for libel. Clinton didn't contradict himself. If there are lies against certain people in the movie Fahrenheit 9/11 that cannot be backed up, then the movie shouldn't have been played and Micheal Moore should be sued as well for libel to whoever he lied about. From the swift boat guy's own lips, he has no evidence to back up his claims.

We don't blame Democrats for trying to talk bookstores into not carrying the book. Republicans tried to talk theaters into not running Moore's movie, too. What irks us is the self-righteousness of those who claim to take the high road while slogging through the low one.

link

I responded to the points being rasied. Now what?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:35 am
[qyote]Of course, if bombs go off during the convention, the left will fault the FBI (and President Bush) for not doing its job, which the left wants to prevent it from doing. [/quote]

Nah, the left won't care too much if bombs go off during the RNC. It'll serve a dual purprose - take out the opposition and highlight our lack of real security under the name of fake security...

Just kidding, Buoys and Gulls. Yay Democracy!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
The GOP strategy, as I read recently in the NY Times, is to blame any kind of disruption during their convention on official Democratic policy.

I daresay you can count on hearing this line next week...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:07 am
I didn't know the GOP regularly published their strategy in the NY Times.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
You should check it out, Coastal. It makes for interesting reading...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
Guess I am going to have to. lol
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:21 pm
Quote:

Oh, really? What about Bill Clinton's memoir, which contradicts his sworn testimony about Monica Lewinsky?

He said, she said....happens in every divorce case in America.

Quote:
And does that standard apply to films as well? If so, shouldn't the campaign have tried to prevent theaters from running Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is filled with lies?

Here we go again!!!!!!!

So far the right hasn't been able to prove a single lie in F911. Don't try to pull that Koplel canard, he has already been debunked BTW McG, did you see the movie?
0 Replies