Does it pay to remain honest?

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 01:05 pm
I know of a person that worked in the accounting office of an employment agency in Japan. While reviewing a financial account with his superior, he was told that he was expected to make a falsified report. The guy explained that his conscience would not let him do dishonest work. As a result, his superior threatened to fire him, and he ultimately lost his job.

What do you think, did he make the right decision, or should he have just caved in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 7,547 • Replies: 48
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 01:06 pm
@anthony1312002,
I think he made the correct call. I also think that a phone call to someone higher up in the company is in order.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 08:05 am
What he was asked to do was ILLEGAL

He should have QUIT, not waited to get fired.

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 09:21 am
Don't understand why this thread was tagged "Christianity ".

I suppose someone thinks they have a monopoly on morality and ethics?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 05:10 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think he made the correct call. I also think that a phone call to someone higher up in the company is in order.

Unless the higher-ups are crooked, too.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 05:17 pm
@anthony1312002,
He made the right decision. Honesty is almost aways the best policy.

It's a good thing he has a conscience. If he didn't, this would be an excellent opportunity for him to not only maintain his job with these crooks, but to also extort some money from them for asking him to falsify a report. But that wouldn't be very honest.

But the more I think about it, the more I see a teachable moment that need not go to waste here. And he could give all the extortion money to charity; or most of it anyway; or whatever percentage his conscience dictates he should give. I think a 50/50 split would be fair. After all, he runs the risk of his bosses hiring a hitman to put an end to their problem.
0 Replies

kency123

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:25 am
@anthony1312002,
Honesty and personal gain are totally unrelated. If personal gain is your only goal, sometimes you lie, sometimes you don't. If honesty is your only goal, sometimes you gain, sometimes you don't. I think he did the right thing, but not because it pays him.
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 07:00 am
@kency123,
I agree completely. Sadly the majority are more often than not choosing the path of least resistance and cost at the expense of doing the right thing.
0 Replies

Mariaelisa

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:15 am
@engineer,
We think that honesty is the best thing to do, so he made the right call about not keep doing that, he better find a job where he can be honest about.
0 Replies

Ana Fer

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:19 am
@anthony1312002,
We think that he made the best decision even though he got fired from his job because it doesn't make sense to work in any place with dishonesty because it will make you a person full of failures and you will never be someone in life. So his decision was the best because he decide to follow the right way in spite of he lost his job.
anaelisa

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:22 am
@anthony1312002,
The person chose the right decision, because is wrong to do an action of dishonest, and it doesn't matter if someone tells you to do the action., you have to always do the right thing.
0 Replies

marzelinooooo

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:26 am
We think its bas cheating because you lost a part of your honor and you are lying to everyone, like your teachers and your parents .
0 Replies

AZTRODEIBOL12

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:26 am
@Ana Fer ,
I think is better to be honest without a job than a cheater with a non corresponding job

Atte:David
0 Replies

JEFR-SAMV

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:28 am
@anthony1312002,
I think this situations has happened to every single person, someone wants to take advantage of your work, If I were in the place of Anthony, I would report my boss to an inspection committee of the business. He maybe did something different but I would prefer my awareness clean before to do that, lies don't make a person better, just worst.
0 Replies

IrisYolanda6

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:28 am
@anthony1312002,
We think that it was unfair that the man lost his job, only for follow his values.
Also, we consider that he made the right decision because it's better always says the truth instead of keeping a job with lies.
0 Replies

Elias Gonzalez

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:29 am
@anthony1312002,
I think that the person made the right choice, it doesn't matter that honesty leads good or bad ways, maybe he will rewarded in a future for his honesty and that attitude will make him a good employee. I think that we need more honest people in the world.
0 Replies

IrisYolanda6

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:30 am
@anthony1312002,
We think that it was unfair that the man lost his job, only for follow his values. Also, we consider that he made the right decision because it's better always says the truth instead of keeping a job with lies.
0 Replies

NAHUMRIVER

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:35 am
@anthony1312002,
Nahum Molina Rivera
I think that the desiccion of the worker was good , because if that false report fall in the wrong hands , his ex company would haved a lot of problems
0 Replies

AdryandErick

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:39 am
@anthony1312002,
We think that he do the right choice, because people need to have and work with honesty every day. Is a value that identify the person and is very important. Imagine that if he had done that falsified report. He could received a bad and horrible scolding, appart of been fired, and look bad towards the company and the personal. It doesn't matter if he had been fired, he can be in a better work, where they practice and work with real honesty, and they doesn't have to cheat.
0 Replies

yusefvaldez

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:09 pm
@anthony1312002,
The best thing is to STOP doing that because its bad and you can lose your job and if you start doing that it would be easy to do that in the future. They don't have to cave it because he can cause damage to the person.
0 Replies