13
   

Donald Trump a British Perspective

 
 
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 07:59 am
Donald J. Trump in some parts of America is viewed as a refreshing alternative to the other republican candidates, who are often seen to simply appease the pressure groups for monetary backing in the election. When many Americans who are supporting trump are asked why they are going to vote for him, they say he isn’t corrupted by ‘Washington politics ‘and that he is exposing the hypocrisy from within. This to some extent echoes what is happening in many other western nations including the UK, with our equivalent of Trump being Nigel Farage. A far right politician who uses immigration, like Trump, as a scape goat to pin all of the nation’s problems upon. However worryingly in the USA Donald Trump is making a far larger impact in the election than Nigel Farage could ever wish for in the UK. From an average Britons perspective we can certainly understand that Trump could be gaining popularity simply because like Nigel Farage, he is a viable protest vote. What we are seeing is the darkest side of American politics, where Trump feeds off the fear of average Americans instead of actual policies. In return the people present in his political rallies, are somehow convinced by this rhetoric and many of them as I will mention further on, become quite fanatical.
Firstly I’d like to point out that if Trump held a political rally here they’re would be a completely different reaction. As he would rattle off the same speech of bigotry that he repeats at ever speech he does the British audience would be bewildered. For example one of his most famous remarks is that he will ‘build a great wall on the Mexican border’ and that the Mexican Government will pay for it. Of course this was after he accused the majority of Mexican immigrants of being rapists, however although this would be nearly an impossible task and he has not once stated how he will actually construct the wall and how he will get the Mexican authorities to pay for the wall. The BBC has estimated the total cost for the wall to be between 2.2 Billion to 13 billion dollars. From a British perspective this would be like building a wall on the coast of England and bricking up the channel tunnel, and then of course asking the French Government to pay for it all. It is appalling that this is not only one of his main policies but also the fact that a percentage of the American population are falling for it. One of his less mentioned policies that is actually likely to happen if he becomes president is to end the birth citizenship policy, which I believe is one of the most endearing policies of the US. The fact that the off spring of refugees can gain citizenship at birth and be entitled to every opportunity any other American citizen can achieve is why America is considered the land of the free. So why then would the American population, who are fond of this image of America are voting in a man who would tarnish it. In the eyes of many across the Atlantic Trump is seen as a quite backwards figure, taking America back to the isolationism of the 1920s.
Not only does Trump target Hispanic immigrants but also the Muslim population itself within America, this again feeding off the fear of Islamic extremists in the Middle East. He calls for a complete banning of Muslims from entering the United States, this statement alone would have been a death sentence for the career of any British politician. The fact that he has openly said that shows that although the US still has free speech it may not if Donald Trump has his way, free movement. Whether these statements are only to cause controversy on the campaign trail or they are actually Trumps views remains to be seen, as he has often before been accused of using publicity stunts to simply further his campaign. As of course he did when he was building his business empire. What is most troubling, apart from his hideous views of fellow human beings, is the fact that he is probably one of the least qualified individual to run a country. Never mind a Nation that has a huge military and a considerable amount of power on the world stage. You may ask how can you be sure he isn’t up to the presidency? To which I can argue that Trump wasn’t even a successful business man at the beginning, as he claimed bankruptcy a total of 4 times. So if he failed the first 4 times at running a successful business then why would he make a great president? He would only get one chance at that. It is almost impossible to see America better off under the stewardship of Trump. As although during the campaign he may make bold promises and feed off the fearful and paranoid populous, but if sworn into office he would struggle with the day to day task of the presidency. Yes he will be well suited to the public life of the president, making speeches and generally being the showman he is. But convincing Congress to go along with his radical policies is a different matter completely.
However looking aside from his actual politics the character of the man himself can be seen as the exact opposite of presidential. He can only be described as a bully towards his opponents, as he openly taunts his opponents instead of focusing on the key political issues. He does not save his abuse simply for his political opponents but anyone who openly criticise him. Examples like his comments about John McCain and his time as a prisoner of war, saying he ‘prefer people who weren’t captured’. Another example of Trumps disgusting behaviour is when he openly mocked journalist Serge Kovaleski of his disabilities. These are not the attributes you want with any leader never mind the leader of the supposed free world. His view of women are just as bad by calling some of them ‘fat pigs’, which leaves many to wonder just why any women in her right mind would vote for such a man. What is even more troubling is the fact that his followers are often mimicking his aggressive attitude. Jibril Hough for example, an American Muslim who protested at a trump rally soon found himself a target for the audience who beat him and threw him out of the building. This makes Trumps rallies seem a lot less like a US presidential election and more like a rally of an authoritarian state. Where opposing opinions are silenced with force It’s clear that trump does not belong in this century of politics; he may seem on the surface as a fresh opinion in a swamp of stagnating political thought, but his bigoted and radical views of how to make ‘America great again’ will in fact complete the opposite. For the country Donald Trump is the head of would not be great but it would also not resemble the US which stands up for freedom across the globe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 35

 
PUNKEY
 
  2  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:03 am
he accused the majority of Mexican immigrants of being rapists,

Not quite true. You need to re-check this statement and others you have made about what this man has said.

(P.S. I don't like Trump and hope he does not get the nomination)
mark noble
 
  2  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:21 am
@Taylo999,
'a british (you mean 'your') perspective'?
95% of ppl in the UK, don't even know the US has a presidential race this year, let alone care for it.
0 Replies
 
TomTomBinks
 
  3  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:22 am
@Taylo999,
And yet he won in EVERY county in the New York State Primary. I think you made a good point in that he plays upon people's fear to gain support. He resembles Adolph Hitler in that aspect.
I think that if he's elected president he will make a mockery of that office and he will get very little accomplished ( because our government consists of obstructionist in both parties), and he's likely to cause some foreign policy disaster with his thoughtless remarks and temper. All in all it should be very entertaining!
engineer
 
  7  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 08:23 am
@PUNKEY,
I think this article fundamentally misunderstands Trump's approach. If he were speaking to a British audience, he would not be talking about building a wall between the US and Mexico, he would have researched the hot button issues in England and he would be pushing them. The guy is a very good salesman. He is not trying to evangelize to get you to see come to his positions (which is almost universally what politicians do), he is trying to sell to you, to convince you he has your back and he would never sell you a lemon. Once a salesman convinces you he is on your side, you tend to be loyal. Heck if this guy says we really need the undercoat on our car and the extended warranty, we should get them! I don't agree with the idea that a European audience would be immune to someone like Trump. The selling points might be different but the concepts would work fine.
revelette2
 
  2  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:17 pm
@engineer,
Exactly, makes you wonder what his end game is if he is actually elected. But then again, he has supported racist things in the past such as calling for the death of the Central Park five.

Donald Trump and the Central Park Five: the racially charged rise of a demagogue

engineer
 
  3  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:48 pm
@revelette2,
Even there I wonder if he really cared about it or if he was just aligning himself with the mood of the city. Today I saw where he is calling out the bathroom bills across the South, once again aligning himself with the emerging popular sentiment.
0 Replies
 
RABEL222
 
  3  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:02 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
All in all it should be very entertaining!


You think A bombs going off all over the world is entertainment? Trump is a loaded gun just waiting to be triggered by an idiot who thinks he knows everything.
InfraBlue
 
  3  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 04:37 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
he accused the majority of Mexican immigrants of being rapists,

Not quite true. You need to re-check this statement and others you have made about what this man has said.

(P.S. I don't like Trump and hope he does not get the nomination)

He did say that, "when Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
roger
 
  4  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 07:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
He said "some". I thought that was incredibly sensitive of him. For Trump, I mean.
TomTomBinks
 
  2  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 09:38 pm
@RABEL222,
Of course that's a possibility with an idiot at the helm. But what can you do besides vote for the other guy (gal)? I voted in my primary for John Kasich, Trump won. I'll vote against him in the general election, after that it's out of my hands, might as well sit back and enjoy the show.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:43 pm
@engineer,
I somewhat disagree, because the people who support Trump are the older, white, and uneducated.
I see Trump as a racial bigot, xenophobe, and sexist. I don't see how Trump can win. The majority of minorities who sees Trump as I do will never vote for him.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  4  
Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 04:23 pm
@roger,
Absolutely. He qualified his slur, after all.
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  0  
Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:43 pm
@Taylo999,
Taylo999 wrote:
..Of course this was after he accused the majority of Mexican immigrants of being rapists..

He didn't say anything of the kind. First of all, he was only talking about illegal immigrants. I am unaware of him saying anything at all about legal immigrants from Mexico. Secondly, the essence of what he said is that there are criminals, such as rapists, among the illegal immigrants.

As far as the truth of this goes, it is, of course, not completely false. Any large population has all kinds of people. For instance, illegal immigrant Hector Salinas, was convicted of raping a 58 year old disabled, homeless woman in the state of Washington in 2008. Illegal immigrant Milton Mateo Garcia was convicted of a rape in Philadelphia in...I think 2014. Whether the percentage of illegal immigrants convicted of rape differs from the percentage in the American population in general, I have no idea.
InfraBlue
 
  4  
Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 12:07 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Taylo999 wrote:
..Of course this was after he accused the majority of Mexican immigrants of being rapists..

He didn't say anything of the kind. First of all, he was only talking about illegal immigrants. I am unaware of him saying anything at all about legal immigrants from Mexico. Secondly, the essence of what he said is that there are criminals, such as rapists, among the illegal immigrants.

As far as the truth of this goes, it is, of course, not completely false. Any large population has all kinds of people. For instance, illegal immigrant Hector Salinas, was convicted of raping a 58 year old disabled, homeless woman in the state of Washington in 2008. Illegal immigrant Milton Mateo Garcia was convicted of a rape in Philadelphia in...I think 2014. Whether the percentage of illegal immigrants convicted of rape differs from the percentage in the American population in general, I have no idea.


He did say that, "when Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

It's queer that Trump's supporters feel the need to apologize his utterances. He says one thing, but you say he means to say something quite different. There is something unsettling about your rationalizations. I don't buy the implication that he's merely inarticulate.
Brandon9000
 
  0  
Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 02:01 am
@InfraBlue,
Clearly he was talking about illegal immigrants. No one has any negative opinion about people who come here legally.
InfraBlue
 
  3  
Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 12:46 pm
@Brandon9000,
No where did he mention illegal immigrants.
Brandon9000
 
  0  
Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 02:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
No where did he mention illegal immigrants.

Note his comment in this later clip, "I took a tremendous amount of heat when I started talking about illegal immigration."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khD3gJGLvQo

This is a stupid conversation. If you want to seize upon something he doesn't believe and criticize him for it, be my guest. Whatever gets you through the night.
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 02:50 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think this article fundamentally misunderstands Trump's approach. If he were speaking to a British audience, he would not be talking about building a wall between the US and Mexico, he would have researched the hot button issues in England and he would be pushing them. The guy is a very good salesman. He is not trying to evangelize to get you to see come to his positions (which is almost universally what politicians do), he is trying to sell to you, to convince you he has your back and he would never sell you a lemon. Once a salesman convinces you he is on your side, you tend to be loyal. Heck if this guy says we really need the undercoat on our car and the extended warranty, we should get them! I don't agree with the idea that a European audience would be immune to someone like Trump. The selling points might be different but the concepts would work fine.



Absolutely.

Europeans immune to a populist strongman? I think I almost choked to death laughing.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  3  
Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 03:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
He had to qualify his original, from the hip, comments.

What's stupid are your rationalizations.

 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Donald Trump a British Perspective
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/03/2020 at 03:39:46