My girlfriend keeps photos of the guy who liked her

biscoit

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 01:48 pm
Hi there to you all. Thanks in advance for your time.

The situation is this: My girlfriend of two months keeps the photo of a guy who liked her and the photo of the flowers he gave her at the time. Now they are friends and according to her she doesnt want a relationship with him.

Obviously I dont trust him about his intentions with her. I'm ok with her being just friends, but its kinda weird someone saves that kind of pictures during a relationship attempt of him.

Plus that, my gf avoided kissing me in public during her birthday dinner a month ago. He was there.

What do you think of her actions? Do you believe she has some feelings for him, despite not wanting a relationship?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 02:21 pm
@biscoit,
Some people are sentimental, whether or not they are interested in the person as a mate. I've kept plenty of photos of old friends and lovers and no jealous lad (or by now, old man) gets to worry that I have them. Having someone give her flowers, I presume for the first time, is a nice thing, in memory. It's part of her life. Life marches on and sometimes seems to want to be recorded.

Have you two vowed to be exclusive? You sound quite like you want to own her, which can put some girls or women off. Or boys or men.

I'm not trying to be snarky. It's just that many people have boundaries about others having a say in what they get to keep.
You do sound quite untrusting. Your guess may well be wrong, or, it could be correct. Give her a break and don't pursue this line of questioning with her at this point. I can't tell if you two are sixteen or thirty, guessing somewhere inbetween. Talking is a good idea, but always being suspicious is a problem.

Photos can be keepers. I'm glad I have a photo of a guy and me sitting on a bench near the ocean some months before he went off to the Vietnam war. We weren't a couple shortly after the photo for a lot of practical reasons, and he didn't die in the war, but I'm pleased to have that old photo of how we were back then.. peaceful, smiling. Photos are a dime a dozen now with all the smart phones in the world, but photos can still often add a kind of continuity to life. Trashing them can be dumb.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 03:17 pm
@biscoit,
biscoit wrote:

Obviously I dont trust him about his intentions with her.

Why is that obvious?

How, at the same time, can you be ok with her being just friends?

You are saying "it's ok they are friends, it's not ok they are friends"

I've been married for many years, and I still have photos of other people I had romantic relationships with.

Your problem isn't with him, it's with her.

And, no, her keeping mementos and photos isn't weird at all.

What if tomorrow she throws out the items that bother you. Then, by next month you are broken up with her anyway.

You've screwed her out of something she enjoyed having, and now can't get back.

How is that fair?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 05:58 pm
@biscoit,
biscoit wrote:
its kinda weird someone saves that kind of pictures during a relationship attempt of him.

nope

not so weird

over the years/decades we all have all kinds of different friends. it is nice to have photos/momentos of various friendships/relationships.

__

her relationship with you is separate from any relationship she has/has had with him - unless you keep poking at this
0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:25 pm
@biscoit,
Think of her friendship with this guy as a backup plan. As long as everything is ok with you, nothing to worry about. If you guys breakup, she knows she has somewhere to go, because she already knows someone who likes her and she is friends with. He's next in line.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:33 pm
@tony5732,
Or maybe she will forget about both of you. You don't know, and there's not much point in dwelling on it.
tony5732

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:43 pm
@roger,
Exactly, if she ends up liking this guy better and leaving you or cheating than were probably not meant to be together anyway. You should find yourself a friend Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:49 pm
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

Think of her friendship with this guy as a backup plan.

no. that's not how it works.

a male friend is not necessarily a boyfriend in waiting - in fact, most often is NOT a boyfriend in waiting.
tony5732

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Well I apologize than. I must have bumped into a lot of VERY unique girls, every time I dated. That's what happened everytime I dumped a girl, or got dumped. Must be a unique personal experience that doesn't happen all the time.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 07:03 pm
@tony5732,
Must be unique indeed.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 07:05 pm
@ehBeth,
worth a read for his posts. That will give context.
I'm not against him and his points of view, of which I have not read much, he is entitled to them. I might agree if I read more. The opening poster can choose who to listen to, as useful to him or not..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:36 pm
I have photos my mother saved of three or four men she knew before she got married. That's around 75 or 80 years ago. I don't see that it hurt her relationship with my father or step father.
0 Replies

biscoit

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2016 12:22 am
Thanks for your replies. I will try to answer to you all.

First of all, I didnt say a thing to her about this photos. I told her previously I dont trust friends that tried to hit on her (apparently she has more than one that I know).
The thing is, that she keeps talking to this guys she rejected. Some I believe still have feelings for her. This makes me think - like someone who posted here - that they might be the next in line.

I just find it very weird that she keeps photos of the flowers that guy gave her. Those flowers dont represent their friendship at all, he tried to date her by sending those. Maybe its a ego boost.
0 Replies