My Mother's Cat

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:42 am

I've had indoor/outdoor cats most of my life. Some lived very long lives. They very much enjoyed going outside in good weather, and likely would have been unhappy if I had started keeping them inside all the time. They would have let everyone know that they were unhappy too.

In my current location though there is a bald eagle in the sky during the day, and I hear barred owls hooting at night. From time to time I see the eagle on the ground eating a groundhog or something similar.

I have neighbors who have these little dogs that they let roam free. Sometimes the dogs show up in my yard and look up at me with an expression like they have something very important to tell me, but I don't speak dog so I have no idea what they are trying to say. Every so often, distraught kids from the neighbors show up at my door trying to find their little dog that has vanished. I don't feel like telling them that a bird just ate their dog, and they don't seem to ever figure it out for themselves.

I don't let my current generation of cats outside. Since they've been indoor cats for their whole lives, they don't even want to go outdoors. In fact, they all panic and run whenever they figure out that someone is about to open an outside door.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:54 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
They might live longer as prisoners, but I'll tell you something; a cat that wants out is a difficult cat to live with.

I agree. Since that cat has already lived as an indoor/outdoor cat, it is going to insist on continuing to be let outdoors.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 01:06 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
The neighborhood where my mother lives is pretty cat- friendly. Dogs aren't running loose, no coyotes or foxes. It's residential so not much traffic and when there are cars they go pretty slow. Plenty of hunting opportunities for the cat-about-town. The enclosure is a good idea. I don't know if it would satisfy my sister or if my mother would want such a contraption in her yard, but I will suggest it. I'm pretty handy so could put something like that up in no time!

I almost ran over a cat while slowly driving through a town, as it ran out right in front of me despite my slow speed.

I'm really glad that I missed it, because to this day it is still the most beautiful cat that I've ever seen. But slow traffic is no guarantee. Certainly better than fast traffic though.

Your fence will have to extend underground a ways. Otherwise the cat will dig under it. And make sure there is no possibility of exploiting even a small opening in the top of the enclosure. Because the cat will find any way possible to escape the enclosure, including things that you wouldn't think possible.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 02:00 am
@oralloy,
It sounds as if your cats have gotten a fobia against going out. They panic.
It is much deeper than just not wanting to be outside, it is a pity this has happened.
Shame if OP´s sister would force the mother´s cat to loose its normal instincts by forcing it to be indoors.

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:34 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
it is a pity this has happened.

They are happy inside, and it is dangerous for them outside. It seems to be working out for the best.

saab wrote:
Shame if OP´s sister would force the mother´s cat to loose its normal instincts by forcing it to be indoors.

That cat is never going to consent to being an indoor-only cat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:54 am
@TomTomBinks,
Curious has your sister ever seen the cat outdoors? Some cats love being outdoors and you can see them stalking and playing and so forth. Many cats are very independent and do not constantly seek the comfort and love of their humans. Most are some where in between.

I have had 3 cats in my adult life (many as a child) and also known friend's cats. I have seen both sides -- those that love being outdoors and other cats that want nothing to do with it.

Indoor cats get plenty of fresh air as long as you do not have your house completely shut up. No different than a dog that remains in the house most of the time.

My house cats were even different in personality. I had one that hated all people but me. She would go outside on my deck only but wanted nothing to do with being outdoors in the grass. I had two other cats - one would not want to be outdoors whatsoever, and the other I would take out on leash as she loved to roll around in the grass. All 3 were wimpy in the sense they would not survive if I left them to roam. Even though at the time I lived in a city - my town home was set off secluded where the only traffic was people coming into the association and we had lots of grass and trees in the back of our unit. Some people had their cats roaming - but there were coyotes even in the city. And also foxes and raccoons all of which are a danger to cats.

But I would have your sister watch the cat while he is outside and then she can view for herself if the cat is happy. Another thought - would your sister consider helping to purchase and install a cat door? That way the cat could come and go as it pleased so this might take the fear out that the cat wants to come in and your mom isn't letting it.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 08:08 am
My cat is outdoors for most of the summer months and loves every minute.

Teaching the cat how to play feline chess would be my suggestion.

Feline chess involves a cat finding a vantage point where they can simultaneously see three other cats whilst not being seen themselves.

Once they achieve this, they then yowl loudly until a human comes and tells them to bugger off. They can then declare themselves the winner and start all over again.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:19 am
@TomTomBinks,
I was throwing it out there, re how to build a cat enclosure - I spent years as a landscape designer but I've never done one of those and would have to think about the 'how' of it, the strength of the materials, the need to keep as much light and air in the enclosure as possible; if chain link, if I remember, it can be available with the open spaces smaller than usual, not sure of that, but that is more Jail the Cat like. Even regular chain link is Jail the Cat like. Maybe plexiglass is a better idea, for the cat to see out. Not all plexi, interwoven with some kind of mesh for air.

It might be fun to put together something, but I'm still for letting the cat alone. I think your sister is way off about the cat being miserable outside. Way off.
I might let the sister just stew, guessing she won't let the mother down about other things for long. And ehBeth's strong suggestion for having additional people to be able to help her as a senior is right on, in any case. That's an important point.

I get predators exist, and cats are predators too, but the main problem being the cat is miserable out there is pure projection by the sister - unless it is miserable, but it doesn't sound like it. Anyway, it's the mother's call.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:52 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, she's projecting human thoughts and feelings onto the cat. I see that, she does not. I would love to know why this is affecting her so strongly. I'll find new ways to ask her why she identifies so strongly with abandonment.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:55 am
@Linkat,
Maybe this summer we'll have an opportunity to both be there when the cat happens to be out. I have a feeling she'll be trying to catch it and drag it back into the house! I don't know about the cat door, I'll bring it up. The money to put one in probably won't be a problem, the idea of the cat being able to get out might.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:03 am
This was Dad's cat - and he died 2 years ago?
Seems they are both projecting their grief onto this cat.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:44 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Don't they know how to play chess (feline) instinctively from birth? Teaching them the other version would be a little tricky, as they don't have thumbs...
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 07:06 am
@TomTomBinks,
My cat did - looked like this

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4J5-fb4-XjtIW1p3QxaHzxVXQKNCic4O_hioexCuWnchc8LwyRg

It is a double pawed cat - looks like they have thumbs. But she wasn't smart enough for chess.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 11:27 am
@Linkat,
What about checkers?... Scrabble?
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 02:38 pm
Ok, this cat was let outside for "short periods of time". That is an outdoor cat because it can handle the outdoors. As my cat got older, he became more "outdoors." He only wanted in to eat.
I had purely indoor cats as well. They want nothing to do with the outside. I do not sympathize with your mothers cat. He sounds like he was perfectly happy as long as he was fed. And considering her health issues, she did what she could do. Cats are amazing animals and, disregarding Human Arrogance, cats do pretty well without us. Tell the PETA people to take a chill pill unless that cat is trapped inside a hoarder home with no food and water.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:38 pm
@Lilkanyon,
You speak of human arrogance and cats in the same sentence?
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You speak of human arrogance and cats in the same sentence?

Yep cuz cats can outlive us any time of day and the minute we think we are more capabable of caring for them, then they can of themselvelves, we are arrogant.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:48 pm
@Lilkanyon,
We provide food, safe shelter, grooming, and medical care. They are the ones that strut off with their collective tail in the air.
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 04:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

We provide food, safe shelter, grooming, and medical care. They are the ones that strut off with their collective tail in the air.

Too true! Lol! Doesnt mean they dont fart on us when they run off! Hahaha!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 04:32 pm
I think cats that fear the outdoors were raised as pampered inhouse kitties. I understand it. One of our cats was a kitten raised for a while in a closet, before gifted to us. Our Cat #1 gave her clues about the world. I had a photo of her in a pot from Mexico filled with growing geraniums, but it's not in my scanned stuff now. Rascal was her name.