College makes me feel like I'm crazy

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 04:13 am
I am having problems in college. I'll spare the details, but I wrote a three page complaint to the vice principal of the college about the problems on my course. She got back to me and assured me that that things were going to chance, but they haven't.

Since then, someone who used to be my friend blocked me on Facebook and my mobile number, for no apparent reason. He had been a really bad friend to me, but I was willing to look past that and avoid the drama, but no...I messaged him once and he reported me for harassment. No word of a lie, I have no idea what I have done to make me hate him. I was told by my tutor that it's in my best interest not to contact him. My boyfriend then messaged him in my defense (I only found out after he'd done it), and now I have had a written warning from the college and I am being forced to attend a meeting about my behaviour. The next step of the process could result in expulsion. The college have skipped two steps of the procedure - you're meant to receive two verbal warnings and two written warnings, but they seem to have gone straight from the first verbal warning (which i wasnt even aware was a verbal warning, merely some advice) to the second written warning. Considering that I am a model student, I am astounded that they've gone to such harsh measures because of a Facebook message that I didn't even write. I have looked through the procedures and everything, and they haven't actually got anything to give me warnings about. I feel as though my tutors are complying to this boy because they want to shut me up and stop me from making complaints, and to do that they need to get me expelled.

I've tried to keep this simple and only give the important details, sorry if it's long. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm going to email the college the reasons as to why I'm not going to attend the meeting because I do not deserve this punishment, but I'm so on edge because the college have severely affected my mental health. I suffer with depression and anxiety, but now I can't even describe how terrible I feel. I try so hard in college and never step out of line. Can someone give me advice on what to do in my situation? And who can I contact that's higher up than the vice principal in order to make my voice heard?

Thank you

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:46 am
@Student1997,
You may not be as model a student as you claim to be.

Gadzooks, I would never think of complaining to the vice president of my school (I am also a student) unless it was for something truly dire. I would go through a fellow student if it was a problem with them, a professor if it was a problem with one of them, and then to either the dean or the ombudsman.

Sounds like you skipped a few steps, too.

So let's back up and start from the beginning. What is your issue? Are you having problems understanding the material? That's between you and the professor, and you will most likely be told to get a tutor. Is it between you and a fellow student? That's between the two of you, and usually the best solution is to just ignore that other person, as college is not forever. If they're your roommate, tough it out until you can move. If they are your lab partner, ask to be switched.

If it something much more severe, like sexual harassment, then it's the omnbudsman's job. See where I'm going with this? Not once have I mentioned the VP. That person is, most likely, not the one to go to for whatever this is.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 07:36 am
"I messaged him once and he reported me for harassment."

It sounds like you did not let go of an argument and this has now developed into a harassment issue. Officials are taking bullying, stalking, and harassment very seriously.

Do you understand what "harassment" means? Sounds like you don't. That's why you do need to attend the class.
Student1997

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 03:41 pm
@jespah,
I did in fact complain to the tutors, course leader, and college help-service but when nothing was done about the list of serious complaints I wrote to the quality department and had a reply off the vice principal because she was so shocked that so much had gone on that she wasn't aware of. I did say I'd spare details, but there you go.

I came here for real advice, not for someone to have a go. If you're not going to help, don't bother reading it
Student1997

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 03:43 pm
@PUNKEY,
We'd never argued, it was completely out of the blue. I have been bullied to the point of having to leave lessons because of having panic attacks so no, the college don't take bullying seriously otherwise I wouldn't have mental health issues. I do attend class, I have never missed it. Don't reply if you're not going to be helpful
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 04:30 pm
@Student1997,
I'm not having a go. I had no idea WTF you were talking about as was your problem. I still don't.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 04:30 pm
If one person calls you a horse's ass, ignore him.

If several people call you a horse's ass, turn around and see if you're wearing a saddle.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:23 pm
@Student1997,
Student1997 wrote:
I'm going to email the college the reasons as to why I'm not going to attend the meeting because I do not deserve this punishment

have you been advised what the consequences of non-attendance will be?

does the school have a student ombudsman/ombudsperson?

did you speak to a faculty advisor about this?
0 Replies