Really dry, itchy skin

roger

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:35 pm
The skin on my forearms and ankles is dry and so itchy it almost hurts. Scratching doesn't help. Any ideas on lotions, oils, or just anything? I've been using a Queen Helene stuff that's supposed to contain something called cocoa butter. Good for them; at least it's nice and greasy. A 1% hydrocortisone cream helps, but not for long. Any good ideas out there.

I realize this qualifies as spam bait, so I'm mostly hoping to hear from established members. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 42 • Views: 12,833 • Replies: 137
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by roger
Glennn
  Selected Answer

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:39 pm
@roger,
When I had eczema, the only thing that helped me was a product called Eucerin.
roger

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:42 pm
@Glennn,
Let me get a few more ideas, and then I'll do a search on Eucerin. Thanks.
ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:59 pm
@roger,
I had it for years off and on, nearly scratching myself away when I knew better than to scratch and it just recently stopped a year or two ago. I have no clue what I have done differently. I've never been a lotion/makeup person, a good thing as it has saved me a lot of moolah.

There may be something I'm not eating and haven't noticed the absence of, but I doubt that is the answer. I figure you have already looked at what you are eating in any different way.

I went to a dermatologist a while ago and have a lot of this and that, seborrheic dermatitis being the key thing. But I take it I've had that for a long time (including in bad eye) and the effect has varied, to me, from horrible to almost nothing.

Histamines may be involved. I haven't read up about them for quite a while, but I'd look there first.
I wouldn't just shoot antihistamines - I did that at one point and later weaned myself.

Point, natch, is talk to your physician - if an alert person.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:02 pm
@Glennn,
I use eucerin too, recommended by my dermo, instead of soap.. My Walgreen's doesn't carry it. I argued. They may by now.
roger

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Hmmm. Who does carry it? Two recommendations for the same product sounds really good.
ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:11 pm
@roger,
Given my long term stuff on this, I'm no fan of this and that salve.

I don't know what is going on, but having had it go away with no palliative from me or doctors makes me consider other possible changes.

Ok, ok, I'll recommend a diet of greens for Roger.
Kidding, and I don't think that is what fixed it for me. Maybe, but I wouldn't just jump at that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:17 pm
@roger,
Your Walgreen's might. I'm sure I bought it there once.
They keep restructuring the aisles. I found it once in the throwaway basket.
I even liked the manager at my Walgreen's but they move along. They do tend to respond to inquiry.

Um, Eucerin as a purveyor was in a lesser aisle.

I'm not calling eucherin a savior. I think it fairly sudden itching is another bag of wax, not to mention long term itching.
ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I threw away the short name of the eucerin stuff, after I found it, and now don't remember. Likely some simple name re cleanser.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:55 pm
When I get a bad itch that won't go away, I shower under the hottest water I can stand. It usually stops the itch most of or all day.
ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 08:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
having it for years though is a problem.
edgarblythe

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I have been having it for years and the heat helps me. I can't speak for others.
ossobuco

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
every day?

I had it every day.

It is gone.

Me, an investigator, doesn't know why.
Not lack of chocolate.

Maybe it is my usage of chile peppers, as I'm doing a lot of exploring on that.
But to attribute it to that, nah.

Oh, wait..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:51 pm
@roger,
I've been using a thin layer of zinc ointment followed (or alternated sometimes) with aloe vera gel. Things seem to be calming down on my ankles (why oh why itchy ankles?) and the tops of my hands. Occasionally I take half a Benadryl when things feel like they are in danger of getting out of control.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:12 pm
@roger,
I have quite a similar problem, I think. Flaking skin ...scalp, arms, calves, thighs..for many years.

For me, I've attributed my problem to age, eczema, lessened immune system issues..lower hormone levels.

I use Eucerin and lotions specifically those with Shea butter and/or cocoa butter. It works and sometimes I wet my skin first before applying. Never use anything with alcohol (it dries).

Oh yeah, to So Fla and eliminated needing heat ...drying effects of heated apartments. A/c doesn't dry my skin. I don't spend time on the beach sunbathing. When I'm walking, i cover up with a hat...and a shirt.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:27 pm
Agreeing, Eucerin is good stuff. As Ragman said very good to use when skin is moist. It was recommended to me by my doctor.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:37 pm
Holy Mackerel! This is the closest thing to agreement I've seen in years. I'm going to find out who sells the stuff today.
ehBeth

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 11:36 pm
does anyone have a more specific Eucerin recommendation - I just looked it up and there are 51 different products Confused
glitterbag

Sat 2 Apr, 2016 11:39 pm
@roger,
Roger, you can buy it thru Amazon. My husband suffers from dry skin and Eucerin has been a Godsend. He also had a problem with his feet and ankles, and Eucerin has another 'soothing repair creme" that works wonders o dry or cracked skin (like your heels and ankles). His trouble time seems increased during cold weather, and he used to get red spots on his torso after a shower. The dermatologists diagnosed 'Grovers disease' and prescribed an ointment for that, but he still needs the Eucerin and applies it after every shower.

Walmart, Ulta and Walgreens usually carry it, but if you can't find it in the stores, order it thru Amazon. Good luck, itchy skin is tormenting.
roger

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 12:10 am
@glitterbag,
I found it listed at the Walmart site, and am going there tomorrow. This has been a developing problem, but I'm not inclined to wait on deliveries. Yeah, I saw there were any number of products under that label. I can't believe I've never heard of it, before.

I'm also flabbergasted that I haven't been swarmed by the spammers. I guess they're all on auto pilot.