How to use "in that" correctly

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:37 am
Dear English teachers,
Please let me know if my following sentence is acceptable.
If you refuse to do your homework now, you may have a problem in that your teacher will inform your parents.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 923 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:43 am
@Loh Jane,
I see nothing wrong with it. I can imagine it being spoken that way. IMHO, it's quite acceptable.

By the way, over the period of time I've noticed your A2K participation, I've observed how your English has improved. Keep up the good work. Hope it's been fun for you because it's certainly not an easy task.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:07 am
"In that" is an adverb connector which can be used to mean "since" or "because". The use in the question above is correct.
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 07:49 am
@Ragman,
Hi Ragman,
thanks a lot for your answer and encouragement.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:49 am
@Loh Jane,
Jane you could say instead, "inasmuch as"
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 09:51 am
@Loh Jane,
you're welcome.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 10:53 am
@Loh Jane,
The word because works just fine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 12:49 pm
@Loh Jane,
Since the usual witless kibitzers have arrived to try to change what you've written, allow me to emphasize what Ragman and Tes yeux have said. It is perfectly acceptable, and it is exactly the kind of thing a native speaker would write.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 02:55 pm
@Loh Jane,
As you can clearly tell by Setanta’s belligerent tone and name-calling, he has a bone to pick with me because I showed him to be incorrect concerning a different grammar issue. And so now he has a hair trigger when it comes to me. He has demonstrated this by way of assuming that I have said that the term in that is incorrect. As anyone--except Setanta--can see, I said no such thing. All I said is that the word because works just fine. But in Setanta’s mind, I have tried to change what you have written. It was only a suggestion. Who knows what else he has read into my six-word suggestion. Only he knows.
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 05:31 pm
@Glennn,
You're a legend in your own mind. You simply don't understand what is going on in these threads. Loh Jane wants to use the locution "in that," she doesn't want to know how you would write the sentence. Look at the thread title for a moment, and leave your ego aside. So hileman's post and your post are both irrelevant to the question she is asking.
Glennn

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:34 pm
@Setanta,
She asked if she used the term in that correctly.

I didn't tell her it was incorrect, did I? I offered her a one-word alternative. You have a problem with that? Do you think I was just really out of line to offer a friendly alternative? And you think I'm the one displaying an ego here? I believe you're under the mistaken impression that you're the forum cop or something.

You really need to lighten up!
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:38 pm
@Glennn,
I have a problem with jokers who show up in English language learners' threads and don't answer the question, but rather hijack the thread in order to make themselves the center of attention. That's the classic definition of a troll.
Glennn

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2016 06:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
but rather hijack the thread

The word because works just fine.

So, this six-word suggestion is your idea of hijacking a thread? You are absolutely paranoid.
0 Replies