15

Women US Soccer Players Sue for Equal Wages

1  
Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 09:41 am
@maxdancona,
I know the economic theory. Cite your sources regarding the revenue. You're making generic statements without backing anything up.

-1  
Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 09:55 am
You can google this as well as I can....
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/#580c42866da4

The question is does it matter. If you really know "the economic theory" do you accept that if the long term revenue for the men is greater (over at least a 4 year period) that the salaries for men should be greater?

You all are starting with a non-economic principal, and then you are cherry-picking whatever numbers you can find to support your political position.

The basic economic numbers are pretty straightforward. Revenue from men over any significant period of time is much greater then revenue from women.

sherifsaadlaw

-1  
Reply Tue 7 May, 2019 04:10 am
@engineer,
US Soccer federation is so biased with women players. They should also deserve the equal right and wages.

2  
Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 09:27 am
Just going to drop this news here... for ... ya know.... Surprised Just because. Laughing
U.S. Women's Soccer Sets 13-0 FIFA Record In First Game, Beating Thailand

-1  
Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 09:28 am
I guess that means the Thai women don't have any right to ask for equal wages.

1  
Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 09:31 am
I think the obvious solution is to split US Soccer in two completely separate self-sufficient entities. US Woman's soccer will be responsible for raising revenue, paying players, marketing and developing youth soccer on its own.

If it is true that the economics support it, then women can be paid as highly (perhaps more highly) than the men.

1  
Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 09:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am well known detractor of soccer. A nihilist in this one area. If one national soccer team falls completely apart? That's one less soccer team. Wink

maxdancona wrote:

Breaking up the USSF might work to resolve some or parts of the questioned issues here.

((Conquering and/or dividing all things national soccer?Sounds like a plan to me. Insert evil monomaniacal villain laugh here))
Ragman

2  
Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 05:27 am
Well after last night’s US win over France, on French home turf, they did a lot for their cause. I’m no fan of soccer in general but that was a good game. On to play the British and even more credibility.
Walter Hinteler

2  
Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 07:11 am
@Ragman,
It was probably the best match of this football championship.

However, the US team doesn't play "the British" next but the English team! (There is no British or UK football team, but Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England play with their own national teams.)
Ragman

1  
Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 09:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Tomato toma-to. Seriously, I’m quite aware of the difference. These soccer teams are made up of multi-nationals. Much ado about nothing.

Furthermore, I wonder how many USA-ian’s there are on the US-team? How many actual French there are on this French team (as opposed to a business arrangement of multi-nationals?). Many teams have a multinational blend.
Walter Hinteler

1  
Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 10:25 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Well, all those teams are national teams, all players have the nationality of the country they play for. Wikipedia: FIFA eligibility rules
Ragman

1  
Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 10:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You’ve missed my point, though , frankly, I don’t know if it was intentional. Teams are labeled as being from these countries and fans root for their home county’s teams. Fans cling to this cloak of nationalism but in truth they’re millionaire multinationals to a great degree.

Back to the point of the thread - I was pleased as a sports fan (in general) to see and enjoy a soccer game . This is a sport which I rarely follow. Good job and accolades go to the broadcasters, players, teams mercy sakes, even the officiating. Though my expectations are low for similar experience s with watching men’s competition.

I just read on USA Today that they consider this the greatest game in the history of women’s soccer. A bit of hyperbole considering the competition in which Mia Hamm participated around 1990.
Walter Hinteler

2  
Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2019 10:55 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Well, I thought, I answered to your point.

engineer

1  
Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 02:30 pm
@Ragman,
In the US, that is a lot more true of the pro game than the national teams. I can't think of one non-US transplant on the Women's National Team. I can't speak for the French and English teams.

engineer

1  
Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 02:33 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Fans cling to this cloak of nationalism but in truth they’re millionaire multinationals to a great degree.

So this is really not true of the women's game. A few of the European and North American players have endorsement contracts but the salary of women soccer players world over is pretty abysmal compared to the men hence the topic of the thread.

The US/England game was pretty thrilling right to the end. The look on the US goalie's face when she blocked that PK was amazing. I think the US team needs a good name. The English are the "lionesses", the French are "Les Bleus". The US is going to have to work on a good name to match the good play.
lmur

4  
Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 05:41 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think the US team needs a good name. The English are the "lionesses", the French are "Les Bleus". The US is going to have to work on a good name to match the good play.

"World Cup Champions" isn't too shabby.

lmur

1  
Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 11:02 am
Watched both semi-finals and the final. Never again.

engineer

1  
Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 06:54 am
Article from the Washington Post updating some of the numbers for the 2017 collective bargaining agreement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/?utm_term=.976fe5208448

Katheline Lee

1  
Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 10:20 am
@engineer,
We should fight for it. For equal wages. The problem of unpaid wages exists too. Thousands of employees are victims of it. You work hard, work overtime, and when you get your paycheck you figure out that not only haven’t you been paid overtime but you also haven’t even been paid for all your regular hours. My friend faced such situation right after she found job of her dreams (as she thought). I don't really understand this world