The most perfect grilled cheese sangwich in the world

panzade

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:17 pm
Yum!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:19 pm
I love Welsh Rarebit, but I always remember it having flat beer in the mix.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:21 pm
There is no such thing as a bad grilled cheese sandwich.

My favorite is made with sourdough - crispy crust, chewy center, cheddar, swiss, havarti, colby. Add sliced pepperocini, slather with mayo, grill. Serve with a side of tomato soup or potato soup.

I should never admit this but "see through" grilled cheese also rock my world: wonder bread, velveeta, butter: throw it on the grill and smash it over and over until it is perfectly flat and you can really see through it. Lays potato chips on the side with a large (no ice) coca-cola. Now you're a real southerner!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:53 pm
mmmmmmmmm

I picked up some very nice Wisconsin cheddar while I was on a business trip late last week.

sooooo, tonight

I sliced, and toasted, a sesame seed bagel.

Put some shavings of smoked gouda on each half - then triangles of the medium Wisconsin cheddar - then a shmear of vidalia onion mustard. Under the grill til the cheese just started to weep. Onto my current favourite plate <a tourist plate from Nebraska>. A gob o ketchup, with a lil horseradish swirled in, for dipping. Vlasic Bread and Butter pickles on the side.

The Lady Grey tea is steeping.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

and the dogs are hovering
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:10 pm
Niiiiice...I haven't had grilled cheese in ages. I might just have to have a grilled cheese sammich tomorrow, or maybe tonight at three in the morning when I get back from my night of draaaaankin'.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:13 pm
pssssssssst

any good places to have a good grilled cheese on the Upper East Side, kix?
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:27 pm
I wouldn't know from experience, since I haven't had grilled cheese in a while, BUT, there are a bunch of great diners around here that have good food, and I know they have grilled cheese sammiches too.

The Soup Burg is supposed to be good. I don't know where the closest one is, because the menu I have is for one that I think closed a while ago, but they have many locations, and people say good things about them. They give you the choice of grilled swiss, muenster, or cheddar...and the food at 3 Star Diner on 76th and 1st is good. Also, Googies, which is at the corner of 78th and 2nd is a really good nothing fancy kind of place. I'm sure they'd have great grilled cheese.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:31 pm
I'm thinking a good grilled cheese with soup will be just the thing after a Central Park meander with Squeedleboink and entourage on Sunday - will look up those possibilities. Thank you, Mr. Can.
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
Certainly, Ms. Beth. And if I do go get one tomorrow or later tonight, I'll let you know how it is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 06:53 pm
Bread important, cheese important, pickles important...

My new favorite relatively cheapo cheese is Loleta's fontina. Something wonderful about the taste. (back with a link if I find it.)

Best breads around here are made by Brio - that company makes very good hearth breads. Not as good as Nancy Silverton's La Brea bakery, but very high up there. Northcoast breads is next in line and have very reasonable pricing. I enjoyed the local breads in albuquerque, but they don't have the texture of these guys.. more of a chain product, though very good for that.. but as expensive or more so than Brio.

I suppose I am going to have to get down and do my own pan biggio (or is it bigio). I do a whole semolina bread, no honor to myself, straight out of Carol Field's italian bread book, that I haven't tasted anything like it from any bakery or store.

So... then, I'd have relatively thin slices of one of Carol Field's recipe breads and some good fontina, grilled; I agree with the onion, vidalias are fine. There is some chance I'd add some slivers of sweet pepper, not pickled, but roasted.

I like pickled veggies but not an onslaught. More on the side.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:16 pm
I had a grilled cheese sandwich yesterday.

If I remember correctly, it was around 5:17 in the evening when I bit into the thing. Quite good. Butter, bread, and cheese were the components.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:20 pm
Frying pan or grill?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:21 pm
Frying pan. The temperature was at 350. The curtains were drawn.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:23 pm
Mmmmmm...
0 Replies

Amigo

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
I grill mine with turkey cold cuts. Then put fresh tomatoes and avocado slices. But I guess thats not a grilled cheese. It started off one though I just kept adding stuff to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:19 pm
Avocado, that would be good, yeah.

All this of course reminds me of panini. There was a window of panini at a place on piazza Barberini... stacks and stacks, total art work. Damn, where is that photo..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:30 pm
There's a place near work - Ruffage.
Run by a lovely Korean couple. Eugene, and his very tall beautiful wife.
They make amazing panini.
Well, actually it's their pesto that is pheeeeeeenomenal.

About once a month I order a panini with chicken breast.

Olive oil brushed on the outside, then pesto on the cut sides of the panini, chicken breast, roasted onions, roasted red pepper, mozzarella, raw red onion - then into the panini grill. I usually eat that over two lunches. Sooooo good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:44 pm
All right. I'm happy just hearing about it.

On the other hand, that reminds me of the porchetta..

when J and I walked into a corner store i9n Arezzo, somewhat dim, the store, not us, and wandered to the back counter... and there facing us was a whole pork, or near whole, just out of the oven...

woman sliced us off some bits and tucked them into a roll...

plus I got a roman artichoke to go... and we went and leaned against the renaissance church down the street and scarfed those right up...

Went to get coffee afterwards to a very wee caffe... and were treated to a screaming couple, she black and he white, both yelling italian. I missed a lot of the import but they were exceptionally miffed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:47 pm
Sorry to bring up race, adding it as a facet of my observation. I hope to go to italy with my niece one day, so I've paid attention somewhat.
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
Hi Osso!

Sorry, I didn't have anything to add, I just wanted to say hi to Osso.

Carry on.
0 Replies