The most perfect grilled cheese sangwich in the world

ehBeth

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:45 am
well - you tell me - what makes the most perfect grilled cheese, ever?

I vote for starting with the right bread, not too firm - not too spongey. I'll pick a nice honey oat bread for my base.

I'm going to want layers of two or three cheeses. One of them is going to be a 5 -7 year old Maple Dale cheddar that is sharp and crumbly. I can't tell you more about the cheeses til I hear about your secrets.

On the side? At least 3 or 4 spears (aka sandwich stackers) of a non-garlic dill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,635 • Replies: 72
Topic Closed
No top replies

cavfancier

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
Love the grilled cheese....if it's at a diner, it had better be thick slices of egg bread and real cheddar, fried up in real butter, none of this margarine nonsense. Even better, slide some peameal bacon in there too, and serve it with homemade ketchup. At home, I like the old cheddar, and a toothy multigrain bread, but the cheese varies according to what's in the fridge. I always have my red onion relish kicking around. That goes great with sharp cheddar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:54 am
mmmmmmmm

so, about the homemade ketchup - what's the texture like?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
I little chunkier than Heinz, but smooth enough once it's gone through the food processor.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:07 am
A good whole grain bread, a good sharp cheddar, a little pickle relish and a little horseradish and mustard. Mmmm. If you want to beef things up a little just add ham.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:08 am
gawd, I'm starving. i sure hope my salad and yogurt are filling. <sob>
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:11 am
BBB
I made a grilled cheese sandwich yesterday.

Top quality honey oat white bread from my favorite bakery;

Two slices of smoked Gouda cheese surrounding four rounds of Canadian bacon.

Toasted on both sides in sweet butter;

with a side of tomato slices, fresh from my garden.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
BBB - I love mine with the fresh slices of tomatoes right in the sandwich.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
Lincat
Lincat, I do, too, if I'm using grocery store tomatoes. But when they are fresh vine ripe from my garden, I like them separate so I can savor the flavor to justify all the gardening work to create them.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:27 am
cheesewhiz on a saltine then nuked for 5 secs. I am an american! well actually a fresh corn tortilla covered with shredded queso blanco and a hint of sharp cheddar and heated up in a skillet with a teaspoon of lard.
0 Replies

patiodog

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
There's a bar in Seattle called the Tin Hat that used to make the perfect grilled cheese -- until the ownership changed, the menus got laminated, and the sammiches went to crap.

It was just yer standard cheap imitation cheddar, with jalapenos, grilled on thick slices of sourdough that had been slathered in some sort of garlic and herb butter that they made in house.

It helped that the floors were sticky and the beer was cheap...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:44 am
Dys
Dys, you'd better get your skillet heated up because I'm hopping in my car, heading for your house for lunch.

BBB
0 Replies

roger

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:42 pm
Tomatos go well on a grilled cheese. Now, add some hot salsa. You need to almost sear it in a hot skillet to keep it from leaking. Be careful with this thing. It is possible to get a nasty burn from the tomato.
0 Replies

Gala

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
i remember grlled cheese sandwiches as a kid-- white bread, american cheese, served with tomato soup-- it always tasted the best on a rainy day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:58 pm
Tonight's special - light rye with a heap of shredded 1 year old cheddar (tangy but not sharp) topped with a piece of flavourful emmenthal, open-face in the oven. Sauteed vidalia onion and lots of freshly ground black pepper on top. Some ketchup and champagne mustard on the side for dipping the triangles into.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:03 pm
ehBeth
Beth, have you ever tried Havarti with dill cheese with your ingredients combination?

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:09 pm
BBB, I like Havarti for melted cheese on pumpernickel, but I'm not fond of the effect of warmed dill.

Havarti is wonderful when it's just lightly melted. The flavour really sings!
0 Replies

littlek

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:38 pm
mmmmmmmmmmm cheddar..... Might have to go make a grilled cheese sammich right now! I do fry them in olive oil, that's better, no?
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 06:57 pm
damn, beaat me by 8 hours on the cheeze wiz. I put a slice of onion in there and nothin else is needed
This is(give or take an ingredient) basically what all foods in the Philly area are about-- cheez wiz, bread, onion,( fried meat slabs) and then you can add hot peppers an ketchup. Nothinpretentious about philly phood.
0 Replies

shepaints

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:15 pm
I would go for a Welsh Rarebit.....

2 to 4 slices of bread
1½ cups of grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons of milk
1 oz of butter
1 tsp mustard
Pepper

Put buttered toast on a baking tray. In a saucepan, slowly melt the cheese and milk and add mustard and pepper. Stir. When completely melted, pour over each piece of toast and grill until golden brown.

It's heaven!
0 Replies