Discrimination

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:13 pm
How should i tell the differences between "highway" "freeway" "expressway" and "turnpike" ?

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 03:37 am
@silhouette,
I don't know how you "should" tell the difference--you're using the wrong verb. What is the difference between a highway, a freeway, an expressway and a turnpike? Here's an explanation of the differences:

Highway means a major road, usually one connecting towns and cities, or major regions within a large city.

Freeway means a highway for which one does not have to pay a toll to use the road.

Expressway means the same thing as a highway, but emphasizes that it is fast because it does not connect to side streets in a town or city.

Turnpike means a toll road--centuries ago, an attendant sat by the entrance to such a highway, and a pike--a long, spear-like weapon with an axhead on the business end--barred entry until the toll was paid. Pay the toll, and the attendant turns the pike so that you can enter the highway. The term is what we call a survival--a word used long after the original meaning no longer applies. These days, most people would just say a toll road.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 04:00 am
By the way, your use of discrimination is not wrong, but it is not the current usage. The word derives from a Latin root meaning to divide or separate. It originally meant simply to distinguish between people or things. However, because people would distinguish between other people on the basis of race, ethnic origin, gender, sexual preference, appearance or other traits, often for the purpose of denigrating others, it has come to mean to showing a prejudice against someone. As i say, you have not used it wrongly, but most native speakers seeing the word discrimination will think you are talking about prejudicial attitudes or behavior.
0 Replies

silhouette

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:03 am
@Setanta,
I see.
Thank you for explaining it detailedly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:06 am
You're welcome.

(. . . explaining it in detail.)
0 Replies