to not perform vs not to perform

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 07:00 am
My mother first introduced me to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism when I was aged eight or nine. When I was 18 years old, my entire family received Gojukai. However, I did not take my practice seriously then. I was lazy and rebellious, and would always think of various reasons to not perform Gongyo and attend temple activities.

The last sentence is "I was lazy and rebellious, and would always think of various reasons to not perform Gongyo and attend temple activities". Is it better if I change the construction as shown below?

I was lazy and rebellious, and would always think of various reasons not to perform Gongyo and attend temple activities.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 752 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 07:11 am
@tanguatlay,
Yes, I think "not to perform" is better.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 07:15 am
Both are fine.

The old prescription was to never split an infinitive, e.g. "to perform," but there is no logical reason for the prescription. It was based on stylistic considerations taken from the Latin language. "To not perform," is clear, unambiguous and perfectly fine to use.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 07:42 am
Subjective input on this one from a non native speaker. "To not" is more assertive then "not to"...other then that I think both can be used.
0 Replies

Ethan M

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:32 am
@tanguatlay,
'to not perform' sounds perfectly fine to me
0 Replies