Everything is TERRIBLE or AMAZING

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 05:53 am
Does anyone else have this?
Everything is either terrible, and you think it will be terrible forever, or everything is amazing, and therefore will be amazing forever.
How can I learn to be more rational? x

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 06:14 am
Everything changes--the Shan-in-Shah once called all of the wise men of his Empire together, and asked that they provide him a single piece of wisdom which would sustain him in times of joy and of sorrow. Supposedly, the Sufi wise man, Attar of Nishapur, told him: "This, too, shall pass."
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 06:20 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Took me awhile to learn it too, but I eventually realized that the terrible times were trying to teach me something. Try embracing them for that opportunity rather than just enduring.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 07:07 am
I have a friend for whom everything is GREAT! or AMAZING! or TERRIBLE! or BORING! or ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! and I know she irritates the hell out of a lot of people, but I wouldn't have her any other way. I'd worry if she got more measured, and the world would seem a duller place.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 07:33 am
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 07:45 am
Ray Stevens said it

Ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwfGh-SVXw
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 09:33 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Took me awhile to learn it too, but I eventually realized that the terrible times were trying to teach me something. Try embracing them for that opportunity rather than just enduring.

Yeah. I used to think like that but that was part of a larger 'this is **** but when it stops I am going to be so much wiser and stronger it will be AMAZING' type narrative.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 09:40 am
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 11:04 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
this is **** but when it stops I am going to be so much wiser and stronger

Ah, no. Nothing automatic about it at all. Not like popping the laundry into the washer and waiting for the last spin cycle. You've got to engage your head 100% and think damn hard about it. At least that's how it was for me. Even then it sometimes took several repeats of the same 'terrible' before I finally got it.

Good news was - once I did, no more repeats of that terrible.
0 Replies

parkol

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:12 pm
I'd say change the things You are able to, in this case the way You see things. I think there is no negative or positive. Things happen, closed mind won't allow You to alter Your belief system. We can learn to enjoy everything, people are flexible and naive if You can manipulate Yourself enough, magic will happen.
Is the alarm clock early in the morning terrible because we hate the sound of it or amazing as we don't want to lose our jobs (or whatever the reason is we have it on). The alarm clock is none of those it just is. How we see it is on us, change Yourself not the clock if that is what You want.
"there is no spoon"
-Matrix
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:29 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Does anyone else have this?
Everything is either terrible, and you think it will be terrible forever, or everything is amazing, and therefore will be amazing forever.
How can I learn to be more rational? x

How long do the terrible times last?

How long do the amazing time last?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 06:30 am
@parkol,
Quote:
How we see it is on us, change Yourself not the clock if that is what You want.

So Charlie Brown could find happiness when Lucy yanks the football away at the last second by telling himself that he really didn't want to kick the ball.

Sometimes I want to kick the ******* ball. I'll leave the manipulating to others.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:04 am
I have the opposite view and problem...for me nothing is amazing (I am thick), and equally nothing is really terrible...

Some things are fortunate and fulfilling while they are, they have a finite extension, ratio, and contextual purpose, and other things are inconvenient, unfortunate, and with purpose also....a purpose beyond my imediate particular needs.
0 Replies

parkol

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:14 am
@Leadfoot,
We all have different ways of dealing with stuff, I simply shared mine it is not an universal solution.
Had to look up the Charlie thing online Razz, I get the point, and feel for Charlie, I trusted a woman once before Wink yeah It was like I knew she will do it, but I tried anyway. Is it a mistake ? At least You know she can not be trusted.
And I said to change things we are able to, ah I don't know Lucy, pure evil can not be controlled, this is emotional terrorism Razz.
If You want to kick it then kick it she might hold on to it this time ;]
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:39 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
sounds similar to Robert's question here

http://able2know.org/topic/313821-1

Quote:
Do young people use "love" and "hate" too much?

Quote:
One thing I notice when talking to young people is how they seem to more readily use the words "love" and "hate" to express emotions of "like" and "dislike". In my youth, I remember being more prone to such emotional hyperbole myself and wonder what others think about this. I think that as humans grow and experience a greater range of emotions these extremes tend to become less readily used. Do you think young people use these words inordinately? Do you know of any linguistic studies about this?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 05:21 am
@parkol,
Oh I do have some appreciation for that solution. It even worked for me for awhile. But eventually I could not rest until I knew why Lucy acted that way and more importantly, why I could not let go of wanting to kick the ball.

Almost killed me but Damn!, I'm so glad I held out for the answer. I hate that it Sounds like bragging but I don't want to deny its possible.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 12:27 am
@InfraBlue,
Like sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes a day. It's all in my head.
Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 07:34 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,

Some people suffer from anhedonia.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:31 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,

Hmm, I think we can rule out bi-polar disorder, then.

I think it's closer to what Robert Gentel posted, that ehBeth referred to.
0 Replies