Busy life——challenge

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 06:23 am
Now i'm a university student, generally speaking, leading a life which i use "full" to describe. I major in English, my favorite subject. I participate in three student organizations, based on my interest. So, i not only need to do my major courses, but also handle some extra things related to those organizations. New semester comes, i feel hard to squeeze time to complete all, though my efficiency actually improves. I wonna be excellent in both my study and nonstudy. Maybe some people think i've already made it, but i know i have to do better to achieve my goals. However time never seems to be enough. I am kind of anxious, what should i do?

View best answer, chosen by silhouette
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 12:50 pm
@silhouette,
Sil, the existential observer might suggest you adopt a religion, see if it helps at all
timur

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 01:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Archetypal bad advice by Dale.

You have to put a limit to activities instead.

Make a list of priorities and choose those that are higher.

In order to succeed, sacrifice the lesser ones.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 01:25 pm
I agree with timur - I'd cut one or two of the extra activities or trade them off over time if you are somehow equally interested in all three. My point is that it is useful to relax and enjoy all the learning of both kinds. Long time stress isn't very beneficial, can keep you from smelling the roses in life.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 03:24 pm
Continue your study of English. Your post was difficult to understand and not well written.
Sad
silhouette

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 07:05 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you, i will spare no efforts to improve my English standards.
0 Replies

silhouette

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 07:19 am
@ossobuco,
I see, i will consider letting go one or two of them When necessary.
Thank you for your advice.
0 Replies

silhouette

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 07:47 am
@timur,
I agree with you that i should do the most important thing first. It's a good advice.
Cos' i'm a freshman in university, i believe that there is still time for me to experience new things as much as possible. So, i'll let go some of them one day i coud not manage them all.
0 Replies

Linkat
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 07:54 am
@silhouette,
I had a similar experience when I went to college. Because of the high cost, I worked two jobs (both part time) while attending and was co-chair of a student newsletter.

I was fortunate that when I was having difficulty in a class and met with my professor, he sat down with me and helped me organize my life. He knew I was good at the class, however, my test did not reflect it. So he realized that it was more on my approach with limited time constraints.

He had me put a calendar together where I noted and marked off time for classes, work and then marked down study time. With limited time - you need to actually plan on the time you need to study just as you do with the time you need to physically appear in class.

It forced me to study rather than drag my feet -- I would actually go to the library where I would not be disturbed. My best studying time was Friday late afternoon/early evening before the library closed. Everyone else was getting ready to go out and party and starting the weekend where I would be in an almost empty library. I still went out, but I delayed it by a couple of hours.

It wasn't easy, but it taught me a huge thing -- discipline and prioritizing. Prior to that my grades were average, after that I had above average grades. Only regret was that I didn't learn this earlier.

One thing with the activities - I suggest you put in your study hours first, then add in the activities. Since these are extra it will help you prioritize. You might still be able to do the activities, kind of depends on the time commitment.
silhouette

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:29 am
@Linkat,
Absolutely. Besides, as Bacon said, "Studies themselves, do give forth directions too much at large, except they be bounded in by experience." So, i would like not only to study, but also to experience and gain inspiration in activities. That's the main reason i don't want to quit now.
0 Replies