Are Gods Judgments righteous?

Amoh5

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 02:58 am
@Smileyrius,
What I meant by twisted is that they don't display the whole chapter to distinguish what the verse(s) was actually referring to even though it may have contained some disturbing content. Therefore, the reader is left with a misunderstood bias interpretation.
However, there is a lot of questionable chapters or verses as well. The author always includes a comment after the highlighted verses...
Burn The Daughter!
"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)
Comment
A priest's daughter, if found to have lost her virginity without marriage, can receive the death penalty, but in the form of incineration.
How many fundamentalist priests who so easily condemn others would carry out the burning of their daughters if they found them "whoring"?
neologist

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 10:41 am
@Amoh5,
The crime of Leviticus 21:9 was not adultery, but prostitution committed by the daughter of a priest.
The burning was post mortem. They were not burned alive.

The Mosaic Law was severe, no doubt. But its purpose was to point the way to the Messiah. And, in its fulfillment, the harsh penalties were removed. Also, I believe that John 5:28, 29 applies to those so convicted.

It's interesting that many nominal christians believe eternal fire to be an appropriate punishment.

Glennn

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 03:11 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
The Mosaic Law was severe, no doubt. But its purpose was to point the way to the Messiah.

If by severe you mean barbaric, immoral, unethical, and inhumane, then yeah, it sure was.

Perhaps you should explain how such things pointed the way to the Messiah.
Quote:
The burning was post mortem. They were not burned alive.

I have just read Leviticus 21:9, and it mentions nothing about killing them before burning them. Can you provide some reference to show that they first killed her before burning her for having sex outside the rules?
neologist

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 03:18 pm
@Glennn,
The Messiah would be the only one who could follow the law to the letter
Glennn

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 03:21 pm
@neologist,
So, the god both allowed and incorporated unjust barbarism as a way to point the way to the Messiah? I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense at all.
neologist

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 04:21 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
So, the god both allowed and incorporated unjust barbarism as a way to point the way to the Messiah? I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense at all.
You have not substantiated your claim of unjust or of barbarism.
Amoh5

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 04:43 pm
@neologist,
Yes, these verses could be allegorical or even metaphorical.
But do you really expect level headed decent people to find disturbing content like this amusing? Not to mention children as well.
But for rationale's sake, do you really think Lord Jesus would be in favour of this type content? I would think not...
0 Replies

Glennn

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 04:52 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
You have not substantiated your claim of unjust or of barbarism.

I'm still waiting for you to provide reference that will substantiate your claim that the women who had sex out of turn were killed before they were burned.

Anyway, you said, "The Mosaic Law was severe, no doubt. But its purpose was to point the way to the Messiah."

So, attacking the Midianites, killing all of them except for the young girls, and then raping them doesn't seem unjust and barbaric to you? If the god had Moses' ear, then why did it not speak up to prevent this barbaric injustice perpetrated against females. And by the way, why did the god demand the slaughter of the Midianites anyway?
0 Replies

Glennn

Sat 19 Mar, 2016 07:59 pm
Do the proponents of the biblical depiction of the god actually believe that it is simply a coincidence that the god just happened to hate the same things that Moses did? And do they really believe that it is also coincidence that the god just happened to solve its problems the same way that an angry Moses would?

If you hate homosexuality, the god does, too; if you hate drinking, the god does, too; if you hate other peoples' gods, the god does, too; if you hate whores, the god does, too. When it comes to what you hate, the god is an all-purpose ally.
Leadfoot

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 07:46 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
Do the proponents of the biblical depiction of the god actually believe that it is simply a coincidence that the god just happened to hate the same things that Moses did?

I think you are oversimplifying things. You seem to think that God is in agreement with everything in the bible. I think everything in there is useful for contemplation but it doesn't mean everything in it is what God wanted.

The bible was written by all types of men. That includes weary, depressed, suicidal, homophobic, misogynistic, etc. Reading about them is good preparation for living in the world because you will run into all those in your life.
InfraBlue

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 09:34 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

The Mosaic Law was severe, no doubt.

They were severe, but righteous, though, because God prescribed them, right?

neologist wrote:
It's interesting that many nominal christians believe eternal fire to be an appropriate punishment.

If eternal fire was a punishment it would be righteous as well, though, because God would have prescribed it, right?

InfraBlue

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 09:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I think you are oversimplifying things. You seem to think that God is in agreement with everything in the bible. I think everything in there is useful for contemplation but it doesn't mean everything in it is what God wanted.

So, what are the things in the Bible that God didn't want?
Glennn

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 09:54 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You seem to think that God is in agreement with everything in the bible.

I never said that. I'm saying that, according to the deified book, the god solved its problem with the Midianites by killing all the Midianite men, women, and children, and raping the young girls. Or are you now saying that the god didn't agree with the murderous activities of Moses, but was unable to stop him?

And I'm still waiting for you to explain why the Midianites attacked the Israelites in the first place.

The lesson to be learned from that story is that when someone starts telling you that the voice inside his head wants you to kill a whole stitload of people, you should probably lock him up.
onevoice

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 10:19 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
I never said that. I'm saying that, according to the deified book, the god solved its problem with the Midianites by killing all the Midianite men, women, and children, and raping the young girls.

Really? They raped the young girls? Where does it say that Glen?
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 10:42 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . If eternal fire was a punishment it would be righteous as well, though, because God would have prescribed it, right?
You are familiar with the term hypothesis contrary to fact, right?
onevoice

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 11:21 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
And I'm still waiting for you to explain why the Midianites attacked the Israelites in the first place.

The lesson to be learned from that story is that when someone starts telling you that the voice inside his head wants you to kill a whole stitload of people, you should probably lock him up.

Come on Glen! Stop playing dumb dude! You've obviously read the scriptures... And grossly misinterpreted them as well. You don't understand it because you don't WANT to. You seem perfectly happy living in your own little world of twisted ideals and percieved "rightness".

If you want the truth search for it. You will find it. You aren't searching for truth here though. You proved that when you wouldn't lay your pride down for one second... One second dude... To answer a question we both know you have the answer to.

You are merely trying to aggravate those who believe things you don't understand and have no desire to really understand, and for what? To boost your ego? Make yourself look smart? Let me know how that works out for you in the end. The midianites were leading Gods people astray to worship other gods, which would ultimately lead to their demise.

Think about this for a second. Let's say you had child and no spouse, for whatever reason. Somewhere along the line you meet a fine young lady and after dating a while decide, yep... She's the one., I gotta marry this girl. Only she's really not who you thought she was. She seemed to have forgotten to mention her past addiction to meth, and struggle to recover prior to you meeting her.

A few months after your blessed union she begins acting strangely. Disappearing for periods of time. Hanging out with friends you've never met. Money seems to be flowing out as quickly as you can bring it in. Only there's less groceries in the house and bill collectors are calling. Something's up.

Not only that, while your child was hesitant at first about a relationship with her, now they absolutely LOVE her. Darn near worship her. She's all they talk about and seem to think about. He/she wants to go everywhere with her and do everything she's doing. It starts feeling like you aren't even the parent anymore.

Then you dig around a little and find out her history and realize, "Omg, this woman is corrupting my child!" Now tell me... Aren't you going to want to annilate her? Aren't you going to want to make sure she can never get close enough to your child again to lead them down such a destructive path? You would protect your child wouldn't you?

Why would it be any different for God?

Leadfoot

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
So, what are the things in the Bible that God didn't want?

Good question. An exhaustive list is impractical so easier to say this way.

Anything that doesn't fall naturally from the two 'great commandments'. I think these were written in the heart of man from the beginning but they were made explicit in the book as well.
1. Love God with all your heart, mind and soul.
2. Love others as you love yourself.

Anything that you can't justify from these you can safely assume God didn't want.
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:27 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
You've obviously read the scriptures... And grossly misinterpreted them as well. You don't understand it because you don't WANT to. You seem perfectly happy living in your own little world of twisted ideals and percieved "rightness".

If you have read about the slaughter of the Midianites, then you know that my interpretation is not an exaggeration. So, just let me say that you seem perfectly happy living in your own little world of denial. I guess you had to be there.
Quote:
The midianites were leading Gods people astray to worship other gods, which would ultimately lead to their demise.

OMFG!! They were going to worship other gods. What choice did the god have but to order the death of them all, and the raping of the virgin girls? It was a no-brainer, right . . . dudette?
Quote:
"Omg, this woman is corrupting my child!" Now tell me... Aren't you going to want to annilate her?

Annilate her? No, I'm not into that kind of . . . Oh, ohhh . . . you meant annihilate her. Well hell yes, and I would also kill her kids if she had any from a previous marriage.
onevoice

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:42 pm
@Glennn,
I bet you were a pro at dodgeball back in school weren't ya Glen? Perhaps you should go back to that. I bet you'll have more success than you are finding here.

Bwaaaaaahahaha! Smile
0 Replies

onevoice

Sun 20 Mar, 2016 01:05 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Annilate her? No, I'm not into that kind of . . . Oh, ohhh . . . you meant annihilate her. Well hell yes, and I would also kill her kids if she had any from a previous marriage.

Well, gosh, golly gee whiz... Glen you aren't supposed to go around pointing out my flaws! I thought it was our little secret that I'm not perfect!? Dagnabit. I shall never show my face around here again, lest I be ridiculed for my imperfections. Thanks a lot! Wink

Oh... Btw... I knew I misspelled that. Just forgot to fix it before I hit reply. Sadly, for some reason "edit" is a option I only have for approximately 2.9 seconds after hitting reply whether anyone replies or not. Smile
0 Replies