saab

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:29 am
@ossobuco,
If you do remember a bit later it is nothing to worry about, nor when you know how to find the word you are looking for.
It is being pointed out far too much about being forgettable in old age.
We forget our whole life - some names, other faces, etc.
We were forgotting everything when young and in love.We forgot things when stressed by children and work, in stress situations with illness or death.
Do not tell yourself that your are forgetful because of old age. It just makes you feel older, then you get stressed and then you forget even more.
P.S.
A young lady invited me to her birthdayparty last week end. Twice she reminded me. When I arrived she had completely forgotten she had invited me.
That made me feel good.
Next day my student was very forgetful and that is also a young person.
dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not that educated about strokes, but only know that it can affect one side of their body including the brain. How extensive, I'm not sure. I don't know of anyone in our family or friends who have suffered a stroke.

It is a clot or occasionally bleed in a blood vessel in the brain which blocks or interrupts blood flow to part of the brain.

As the right half of the brain runs the left side of the body the effects are felt in the opposite side of the body to the side of the brain affected.

Symptoms vary depending on the part of the brain affected, but usually include weakness or paralysis on one side of the body, frequently affects either speech or verbal comprehension or both.

It's the brain equivalent of an MI.
dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:45 am
@dlowan,
Can kill you outright, as it can damage parts of the brain managing basic life support. Can lead to permanent or temporary paralysis of half or all the body.

Whatever the part of the brain affected controls, is in trouble.

Can be extremely serious in its effects, or minor. Can have temporary, long lasting or permanent effects

You don't want to mess around with them.
roger

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:57 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

You don't want to mess around with them.

I was quite willing to take that on faith, but you know me. Nothing like personal experience.

Not going to read up to see if I mentioned this, but for the past two days I've been able to put in the left hearing aid about normally, and same for the left sock. These have been troublesome. I can look like I walk normally if I pay attention, but not so steady on my feet that I've lost my wariness around friendly dogs, and small children seem like Roger seeking missiles.
Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:18 am
@roger,

Don't tell any doctors that you've been thinking about Hillary and Donald.
Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:25 am
@Miss L Toad,
It is DEFINITELY not good for your health.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:49 am
@edgarblythe,
It was ages ago. Decades? She posted about it when she was still active here.

edit: found it
http://able2know.org/topic/88530-2#post-2438665
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:00 am
@roger,
It's probably just a follow-up appt to see how you're progressing. In my case I was arguing with him about not wanting to take the meds he prescribed and choosing natural/holistic alternative over pharma. He had prescribed Plavix and we were about to lose our insurance coverage. There was no generic alternative at the time and I didn't want to spend $10/pill if I could take an aspirin. I'd been on it for a year and he agreed so long as a new MRI didn't show any changes/indications of additional scarring. It didn't and I switched to a low-dose aspirin. I've since stopped taking that also because the MSM I take for my knees also has a similar anti-coagulant effect.

I'm currently fighting with my PCP about going back on a statin. I'm trying to convince them that the 335 mg/dl total cholesterol result that I had was bogus (interfering substance to the test from the same MSM) she's saying it doesn't matter that I need to be on a statin regardless. I'm unconvinced so far. I'm still taking the CoQ10 though because it drops my systolic bp by about 20 points, down to 110-115.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:33 am
@JPB,
Apropos of nothing useful..my take on statins is that Big Pharma and the docs have not conclusively shown that statins cause a reduction in heart attacks and heart issues. They have been shown to lower the numbers ..and that is what docs are focused on. They feel that lowering the numbers can in return reduce the risk. Personally, I feel the trade-offs may not be worth other downsides that taking statins adds.

Though my situation may be different than yours, I've a serious family heart history. I lost my father (at age 68) and one older brother (57) to heart problems. Currently, I've an elevated cholesterol and triglycerides on my last blood-work panel. This is a surprising turn of events because I've been doing a lot of good things, diet exercise and meds.

Also what I've got going against me : cardiomyopathy, arrhythmia, which is managed/assisted with an implanted defib-pacemaker and other rhythm meds. I've not got a plaque issue (that I know of).

What I understand is that I have a relatively moderate risk-factor so I take CoQ10 and feel it's more than likely just as useful as anything that is a statin medication at lowering risk factor. I also manage my lifestyle with brisk walks..and now starting some casual biking.

(I won't complicate the discussion by adding that I'm in 100% remission going on 2 yrs now from NH-lymphoma. That part is not related to my heart concerns.)

I do take Atorvastatin (generic Lipitor)...which they doubled the dosage last week. We'll see how this turns out but liver functions and everything else is good.

I'm an advocate of doing this step only as a short-term (8 weeks) solution and eventually eliminating taking it. In the meanwhile, along with the remission issues, I'm not taking any risks.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:52 am
@JPB,
Re electrolyte imbalances...and statins:

If there is an electrolyte imbalance, it's advised to discontinue temporarily. Here's a list of statin (Atorvastatin) cautions that might apply to other stains, as well:
Do not break or crush a tablet before taking it.

You may need to stop using atorvastatin for a short time if you have:

uncontrolled seizures;

an electrolyte imbalance (such as high or low potassium levels in your blood);

severely low blood pressure;

a severe infection or illness; or

surgery or a medical emergency.

While using atorvastatin, you may need frequent blood tests.

Atorvastatin is only part of a complete treatment program that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your doctor's instructions very closely.
[/size]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 10:28 am
Appreciation for good-sense health reminders.

Resolving to make a necessary return to better habits. As I've been reading along, went out and bought new running shoes.

Continuing good health and safety to everyone here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:56 pm
@Ragman,
Right. One of the tests I had at the time was a transesophgeal echocardiogram. There was no plaque and I have no family history of heart disease. They were just treating a number on a test. My recent 335 came with an equally high HDL so my ratios are perfect. I'm not going to take a statin when there's no indication that I have any need for one other than a high test number while on a known interfering substance. Sulfer (the S of MSM) is known to effect cholesterol test results. The next time I have my blood work done I'll stop taking the MSM for 5-7 days first. It will be fine, and my ratios will still be perfect.

I do have a lot of family history of high blood pressure, blood clots, strokes, and pulmonary embolisms though. My neurologist thinks I probably have a familial/congenital coagulation disorder of some unknown source. I keep my bp, weight and stress under control as best I can.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 01:09 pm
@JPB,
I take only lovastatin once a day. I also take vitamin C. My wife reminds me to take it every day. I've become dependent on her to remind me. Sometimes more than once.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:10 pm
@saab,
I've long, long, remembered stuff by what letter the word/name starts with and picturing the item or the person. This happened dramatically when I took four quarters of plant identification classes when I was forty or slightly older (fun, the whole thing, the trips to see whatever place.. well, fun, and a lot of memorizing of latin, but I like latin so that wasn't all so painful.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:19 pm
@JPB,
You must be quite the scamp for the docs as you know your 'beeswax'. We are similar perhaps. Some docs have been genuinely glad to see me (one can tell, and they remain my doc for years, as long as I live there; they tend to be competent in the first place) and others, I'm just one more person in a day, usually a burdened day; I'll admit their days are hard.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
At Kaiser, I think patients are allowed 15 minutes, but our doctor takes the time needed. That means our appointed time must be flexible, but I find that acceptable. Besides my wife, I 'love' my doctor. My wife is an RN and takes very good care of me 24/7.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I remember your wife, though we only met once. Say hi for me.

What you describe, same with my eye guy. Whatever it takes. I've seen him welcome patients wearing prison garb, accompanied; many year old women (I mentioned one to him re her, um, panache, and he told me he admired her greatly), all sorts of people with trouble and fear.

I don't care about the time, I schedule for it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 02:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Back to Roger - what's going on today?
dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 03:08 pm
@roger,
So you had a right cva or stroke. Great to hear your left side is doing well!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 03:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Since I am not an early riser, I haven't formed an opinion. As I mentioned, the left hearing aid and left sock were probably the last of the notable milestones. Every thing else is probably going to be incremental. I can make walking look natural, but I can't let my attention wander as it isn't quite automatic.