Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:14 am
@JPB,
Question: ... but you're compositions here have no mistakes or problems. How did you accomplish that?
JPB

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 08:52 am
@Ragman,
Thank god for spell check and autocorrect! Most of the remaining errors are syntax and form. I'm oftentimes stunned when I read something an hour or a day later and see what's come through my fingers, especially when I post at night and I'm tired. Almost all of my FB posts are edited. At first my eyes see what my brain wanted to say. It's seldom what comes through the keyboard.
roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 11:48 am
@JPB,
Probably so. Once I could move my left hand fingers, it was almost as though my left hand were dyslexic. That could have due to muscles moving faster than the thoughts. Other problems I'm having involve recalling names in time to use them, and a good ability to remember conversations while confusing the person with whom I had them. The thing about putting a name to a face is hard to pin down though, as I've always had some problems there. It just seems a little worse now.

Since you mentioned a neurologist, I have an upcoming appointment with one. Any idea what to expect? Should I be looking forward to another round of multidollar MRI exams and stuff like that? I see so many people with lots of letters after their names and wonder if they are useful, or just billing for obtaining information 'for the record'. There I go, being cynical again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 11:52 am
@JPB,
It's frustrating to see simple grammar and spelling errors after you post, and return later to see it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 11:54 am
@JPB,
I'm 65 yr of age and I'm experiencing some of that myself (drawing a frowny face).
saab

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 12:32 pm
@Ragman,
Hey - do not worry - you can find the lone mistake other people make.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 04:46 pm
I didn't know Shewolf had a stroke, is she OK?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 05:13 pm
@glitterbag,
me either...
hoping she's ok.

Also, very interested in your reports, JPB.

Ragman, I have some of that too, older by a near decade, as you know, than you. Have had it probably in little bits for near forever (that is why they have Find Your Keys type adds), but now it worries me. So far so good, I tend to remember almost automatically a bit later, snap. And it's reasonable that I would forget the friend of a friend's first name, or a friend's husband's name. But there's an edge, in that I'm not in a very social environment, or work environment, and use old known words or names less. Maybe they go somewhere to disintegrate.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 05:52 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I didn't know Shewolf had a stroke, is she OK?

She put a note on facebook a little while ago to the effect she is shopping for clothes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 06:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good to hear she's out and about.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 06:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If she had a stroke, it could not have been recently. I read her posts every day and there is no mention.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 06:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not that educated about strokes, but only know that it can affect one side of their body including the brain. How extensive, I'm not sure. I don't know of anyone in our family or friends who have suffered a stroke.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A friend and an inlaw each had strokes over the past few years. In both cases, they knew something was wrong, but delayed calling 911. One went to bed, for a night's sleep. The other woke up unable to sit up in bed. He called and asked if I would come give him a glass of orange juice. He figured that would get him back to normal. I gave him the juice, but it did not take long to know he needed a doctor. "Let me call you an ambulance," I said, more than once. He told me, "No, I am waiting for my son to get here." In both cases, they lived close to a year, unable to get up and do anything anymore.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:47 pm
I wrote that just to emphasize the need for quick medical attention if there is even a little concern.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Scary stuff. Now that you educated me, I want you to take it back. LOL
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 07:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wish it were possible.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yep. Different strokes for different folks.

Well, someone had to say it.
dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:10 pm
@roger,
Timing is utterly crucial. This is especially so if you are near a real stroke centre where they practise a clot t dissolving protocol.

This means immediate assessment of whether it's a clot or a bleed. If it's a clot, it can be pretty much dissolved. This can actually prevent and even reverse some damage if done fast enough. The protocol is by no means universally practised.

And TIAs are bloody serious They tell you you have a problem and need assessment. I don't want to hear anyone say it was just a TIA!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:13 pm
@dlowan,
To prevent health problems, my wife and I make it a regular daily routine to go for a walk.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:15 pm
@dlowan,
And here's your little instant stroke assessment mnemonic.

FAST

Face. Any drooping especially one side

Arm. Can the person easily lift both arms

Speech. Slurred or scrambled

Time. As in hustle someone to ER if they have any of these signs. Fast!
0 Replies