lmur

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 04:42 pm
@roger,
Thanks for turning me into a conservative, you dirty rat.

Sorry to read about Barney.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 06:26 pm
@lmur,
I should warn you, while I am no liberal I'm not nearly such a solid conservative as ten years ago. That's why I'm having so much trouble with the presidential choices offered this year.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 06:39 pm
@roger,
I should add, thanks for writing the last time I was hospitalized. This time, I was completely out of communication, with no internet usage except for strictly business use like paying bills online.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 07:35 pm
@roger,
The best way to defeat that dilemma is to become an Independent. That's what I did some years ago.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:18 pm
Roger, I'm so happy you are doing well. The medical professionals were right, please don't ever drive yourself to the ER again. My husband's heart surgeon told him it's better to go in and find out it's a false alarm than to sit home and hope it goes away. I'm glad to hear you're recovering and the treatment that's offered now is so much more effective than treatment even 10 years ago. Take care of yourself, and when do I get my present

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:36 pm
@glitterbag,
So true, but more women ignore the signs and suffer heart attacks.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's very true. I've had problems with my blood chemistry and my potassium and sodium levels have bottomed out, so far I can tell when it's happening and get to the er in time. It wouldn't really be a heart attack, but it could just stop my heart. It's been going on for about the last 20 years, old age is not for the faint of heart.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The best way to defeat that dilemma is to become an Independent. That's what I did some years ago.

Yeah, but that way I give up the right to vote in the primaries. Not that would be an advantage this year, but that's how it is in New Mexico.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:47 pm
Rosie O'Donnell is a perfect example. For the rest of the article, go to the link at the bottom.

What started as a normal day soon turned into one that would change her mission in life. You see, O’Donnell suffered a heart attack. But like so many women, she missed the signs.

Hours after helping a woman who was struggling to get out of her car, O’Donnell felt something strange happening to her. Her body ached and she felt bruised, but she dismissed it as over-exertion.

The pain, however, persisted. Her skin started feeling clammy, her temperature rose and she threw up. She even went online to look up heart attack symptoms in women. “I had many of them,” remembers O’Donnell. “But really? I thought: Naaaa. (So) I took some Bayer aspirin.”

O’Donnell waited until the following day to see her doctor, as her symptoms hadn’t gone away. That’s because while an aspirin can help with symptoms, it won’t stop a heart attack – which is precisely what O’Donnell was experiencing. An EKG revealed that she had 99 percent artery blockage, a situation called “the widow maker.” Today, she considers herself one of the lucky ones.

“[Heart Disease] is the No.1 killer in women because they don’t recognize the symptoms,” explains Dr. Sanjay Gupta in a CNN interview about O’Donnell’s condition. “The symptoms then progress more, and they’re less likely to survive.”

Today, O’Donnell tells everyone that not calling 9-1-1 immediately was a big mistake. And Dr. Gupta agrees. “There’s really no question. Obviously, you don’t want to call for every single ache and pain,” he says. “But if you’re at risk for heart disease, or you have a family history, or you have new or sudden development of strange symptoms, you need to get to the hospital quickly.” Waiting, like O’Donnell did, can reduce the number of treatment options you have.
https://www.goredforwomen.org/about-heart-disease/heart-disease-news/rosie-odonnells-heart-attack-what-she-learned/
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:33 am
Roger, Sorry to hear about the stroke. Glad to hear you're recovering well.

I don't take kindly to being bossed around, but when medical types are the ones bossing, I'm inclined to obey (more or less, give or take).

Be careful. Be well. And don't do that again! I already have enough stuff to worry about.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:52 am
@Roberta,
Bossing? It seemed like every little person on the medical side of the operation thought they had been appointed warden. And snitches? Seemed like every last one was waiting for an opportunity to rat me in. "Roger got out of bed without proper supervision. "Roger tried to go to the bathroom by himself". How you supposed to go without someone hanging around 'in case you fall'? If I'm going to fall, I want an honest to goody EMT, not some nurse's aid.

We had the medical side and the therapy side. In therapy, they wanted exercise; in medical they didn't want a chance of a fall - at least not on their watch. I tended to side with the therapists. They were better looking, anyway.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 10:52 am
@roger,
I don't believe my one vote in the primaries is going to impact anything.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't care. It's important to me to feel I have done my best.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:05 pm
@roger,
You're a better voter than I am.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 12:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I feel better now.
panzade

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 01:20 pm
@roger,
Good to have you back...wouldn't want to lose a Hillary vote Wink
roger

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2016 03:07 pm
@panzade,
Bite'cher tongue.

Well, I just don't know. I'm afraid that general election may come down to a choice between who I hate and fear the most.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:23 am
Glad you are back.
Like to check what you have to say here on a2k.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 02:37 am
@saab,
Thanks. I always read your stuff, too.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 10:56 am
I always read the both of you, as a habit. Thumb to cink of it, I read every person that is on this thread, for the most part.

Saab: I just read a note that you wrote on that recent Ancestry thread and I was surprised to learn your gender. Never realized it.