Mummified body of German man found in yacht adrift off Philippines

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:42 am
Mummified body of German man found in yacht adrift off Philippines

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/01/mummified-body-of-german-man-found-in-yacht-adrift-off-philippines

Mystery surrounds death of Manfred Fritz Bajorat, whose corpse was found slumped at desk ‘like he was sleeping’ in cabin of vessel floating in the Pacific

WARNING: this article contains a graphic image

Monday 29 February 2016 21.05 EST
Last modified on Tuesday 1 March 2016 07.16 EST

The mummified body of a German sailor has been found by fishermen on a yacht floating off the Philippines.

Police were investigating after two men made the discovery on Thursday. Officers determined from identity documents found on the boat that the dead man was Manfred Fritz Bajorat, aged 59.

Inspector Mark Navales, deputy police chief of nearby Barabo town, said that while the cause of Bajorat’s death was unclear there were no signs of foul play.
The town of Barabo in the Philippines.

“It is still a mystery to us,” said Navales.

Bajorat’s body was found seated at a desk in the radio room, slumped over on his right arm “like he was sleeping”, said Navales.
Manfred Fritz Bajorat was found slumped at a desk in a mummified state inside the cabin of a yacht floating in the Pacific

Manfred Fritz Bajorat was found slumped at a desk in a mummified state inside the cabin of a yacht. Photograph: Barobo Police Station

His exact time of death had not yet been determined. The yacht was found in the Philippine Sea about 100km (60 miles) from Barabo.
Advertisement

Bajorat had reportedly been sailing the world on his yacht, Sayo, for the past 20 years.

Reports said he had not been sighted since 2009. But a friend told the media that he had heard from the mariner in 2015 via Facebook.

Authorities were attempting to contact his friends and family in Germany in the hope they would be able to shed light on his movements.

The police investigation found no obvious signs of violence but could not determine the cause of death.

Navales said items inside the yacht were scattered and Bajorat’s wallet was not found but the yacht’s radio, GPS and other valuable items were still there.

Dr Mark Benecke, a forensic criminologist in the German city of Cologne, told the Bild newspaper: “The way he is sitting seems to indicate that death was unexpected, perhaps from a heart attack.”

Reports suggested that dry ocean winds, hot temperatures and the salty air helped preserve his body.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/5b8db154c731902739415273e746502a86b8da36/24_0_913_549/master/913.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=2db1d87001fbb393b418751527ccef11

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 07:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,

gnarly...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 10:41 am
@bobsal u1553115,
so it was like 1 to 7 years to accomplish the mummification.
Thats how I wanna go, not like ELvis.

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 11:03 am
@farmerman,
There's a restaurant I can recommend in France where you can get like that, waiting for the main course.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 11:19 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
so it was like 1 to 7 years to accomplish the mummification.
At least less than 7 years: his wife, with whom he sailed until then, died in 2010 from cancer - he posted about that on a website by circumnavigators of the globe. (They'd done such a couple of times, he afterwards as well.)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 06:15 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Its a "yuge" planet out there. The boat was still in remarkable shape,
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 04:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Has his daughter not missed him in all these years?
Why do the media think it is ok to put a picture of him in newspapers and internet? I find it really bad taste.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 06:25 am
@saab,
He died seven days before he was found due to a stroke. (That would have been around January 20, 2016).

Out of respect for the dead fellow sailor, the crew of the yacht, who found him first, did not post photos of Bajorat's corpse on social media - the Daily Mail was the publication to post the graphic images.

According to various sources, the dead sailor was regularly active on his Facebook page until a year before his death. The last person to hear from him was a close friend, who spoke to him on his birthday last year.

I don't know if he still had contact with his daughter/family after the death of his wife.
saab

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 06:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Can you really be mummified within 7 days. I thought it would take much longer and only be possible under certain circumstances.
In a hot and damp climate I thought a dead person would rutten faster and not mumifie at all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 06:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
To verify:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
He died seven days before he was found due to a stroke. (That would have been around January 20, 2016).
If, IF, the date refers to the time, they yacht was discovered the first time ( end of January, by the "LMAX Exchange", which took part in the Clipper Round The World Race. (The position at that time was south of Guam, about 1,000 nm away from where it was found recently.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 07:14 am
If the body were in largely anaerobic conditions (no significant source of oxygen) it would "mummify" pretty quickly. So, for example, there have been many "bog bodies" found in Danish bogs, where conditions were prime fort he preservation. The oldest of these dates back to about 10,000 years ago, and the most recent to the era of the Second World War. If this gentleman was in cold air, with little air circulation (i.e., low exposure to oxygen), it could have happened quite rapidly.

From the Wikipedia article on bog bodies:

Quote:
Unlike most ancient human remains, bog bodies have retained their skin and internal organs due to the unusual conditions of the surrounding area. These conditions include highly acidic water, low temperature, and a lack of oxygen, and combine to preserve but severely tan their skin. While the skin is well-preserved, the bones are generally not, due to the acid in the peat having dissolved the calcium phosphate of bone.
saab

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:22 am
@Setanta,
But bog bodies were buried and this man was sitting abord a ship in a cabin where he kept contact with others. There should be enough oxygen.
I still do not understand it - slow thinking on my side
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 08:24 am
@saab,
Think what you like . . . Jesus wept, it's not worth arguing about.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:09 am
Explanation from the police
High temprature, wind and saltwater.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:22 am
@saab,
still, itd take a lot of time to dessicate him.
saab

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:45 am
@farmerman,
That is what I thought too.
0 Replies