Asking for more specific/detailed information

Jaqen

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 12:33 am
Again, I have a couple of sentences for your review. If you have answered my posts before, you know they are from a certain English teacher.

Can you please fill us in on more detailed information?
Can you please tell us the information more specifically?

Just to be clear, this is a situation where you're asking for information that is more concrete, specific, detailed, etc. You're asking for full info about something.

Are the sentences above suitable? Would you recommend them for usage to English learners?

ascribbler

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:02 am
@Jaqen,
Are the sentences above suitable?

They are used in informal, colloquial language.

Would you recommend them for usage to English learners?

No.

Can you please provide more detailed information?

Please provide more specific information.

Jaqen

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:12 am
@ascribbler,
Thank you!

1. Can you please fill us in on more detailed information?

to fill sb in on sth - isn't it like 'to explain to someone about something'? So this sentence doesn't make sense because you're asking for info/explanation on detailed information, right?!?

2. Can you please tell us the information more specifically?

First, do you say 'tell me the information' or 'give me the information' in this context?
Second, 'tell us the information more specifically'? I don't know how to even feel about this. I'm kinda crossed just by looking at this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:21 am
@Jaqen,
Ascribbler seems to want to rewrite your sentences for you.

The first sentence is salvageable with just a slight change: "Can you please fill us in with more detailed information?"

The second sentence is awkward, and i would not recommend attempting to correct it. Abandon it, and use the first sentence with the slight change in preposition i've recommended to you.
Jaqen

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:30 am
@Setanta,
Thank you, Setanta.
So these sentences are not used in informal, colloquial English, right? They don't really sound informal. They just look wrong and unnecessarily long. The teacher person who writes all these sentences I proofread here told me that he signed up to argue with everyone who trashed his fine concoctions. I haven't seen him yet though...
http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-026.gif
ascribbler

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:31 am

Why don't I just go get a life instead of concerning myself with the peccadilloes of patois pundits?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:47 am
@Jaqen,
No, they're both rather awkward. However, i don't think it is any part of my contribution to re-write your sentences for you--unless you specifically ask. As Ascribbler noted above, "provide" is a more natural usage in this context than "fill in"--but it leaves out "us." So you might write: "Can you please provide us with more detailed information."
Jaqen

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:51 am
@Setanta,
I appreciate any kind of input really. I haven't thought of 'provide' so it was great Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:00 am
I'm having a little problem with browsers today. It makes me want to become an IT terrorist.

Generally, i don't rewrite people's sentences for them. I've had a lot of experience of English language learners in real life, long before this internet claptrap came along. It has been my experience that they usually don't want me to express their ideas for them, but only to assure that what they've written is grammatically acceptable, or can be "fixed." The reason i don't like to re-write people's sentences for them is that it often means that they don't learn. We also get people who come here asking us to re-write paragraphs for them, or to correct and comment on an essay. I won't even enter such a thread. That's not how to learn in many cases, and in others, they need to hire and pay a tutor. This is free stuff here, and people don't need to expect too much.
Jaqen

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:07 am
@Setanta,
Absolutely. I don't expect to be tutored or get my homework fixed. These sentences are from a discussion board written by someone who claims to be a native English speaker. My main objective is to ask really?, anything that sounds weird? and a few short yes/no answers.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:16 am
@Jaqen,
To be clear, i have no problem with the questions you ask. It seems to me, from what you've just said, re-writing the sentences is not what you're asking for.
Jaqen

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:23 am
@Setanta,
Oh good. I've been asking a lot of questions in the last few days though.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 05:43 am
@Jaqen,
There's no problem with that, as far as most of us here are concerned.

You seem like one of the good guys, so people here won't mind stepping in and helping out where they can.

You will find that most of the members here are from the Americas, but the odd (very odd in my case) one or two are from Europe.

A good bunch, all in all.
0 Replies