What was the Scariest Movie(s) of all time?

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:31 pm
Welcome to A2K and the Film Forum, Amay -- two great scary movies for certain.
0 Replies

wickedstar

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:53 am
I honestly think that "Hellraiser" is one of the most scariest movies. Just put yourself in the situation that those people are put it. It gives me chills. I absolutely love the movies though...except the last couple. I can't really think of any other that really scared me all that much.....certain parts of "It" were kinda creepy. Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
"Hellraiser" was about as scary as a trip through the local carnival fun house. If you really want to see a film that is the granddaddy of these films but really, truly off-kilter creepy, see "Suspiria."
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:02 am
I have never seen "Suspiria" but isn't it from the same Italian director who did "Bird with the Crystal Plumage"?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
"Suspiria" LINK:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/

Dario Argento

Director - filmography
(In Production) (2000s) (1990s) (1980s) (1970s)

"Masters of Horror" (2006) TV Series (filming) (episode "Jennifer")

Ti piace Hitchcock? (2005) (TV)
... aka Do You Like Hitchcock? (International: English title)
Cartaio, Il (2004)
... aka The Card Player (International: English title) (USA)
... aka The Card Dealer
... aka The Cardplayer (Australia)
Non ho sonno (2001)
... aka Sleepless (Europe: English title) (USA)
... aka I Can't Sleep (promotional title)

Fantasma dell'opera, Il (1998)
... aka Dario Argento's The Phantom of the Opera (UK: video title)
... aka Phantom of the Opera (USA: video box title)
... aka The Phantom of the Opera (USA)
Sindrome di Stendhal, La (1996)
... aka Stendhal's Syndrome
... aka The Stendhal Syndrome
Trauma (1993)
... aka Dario Argento's Trauma (USA: complete title)
Due occhi diabolici (1990) (episode "The Black Cat")
... aka Two Evil Eyes (USA)

Opera (1987)
... aka Terror at the Opera (USA)
Phenomena (1985)
... aka Creepers (USA)
Tenebre (1982)
... aka Sotto gli occhi dell'assassino
... aka Tenebrae
... aka Under the Eyes of the Assassin
... aka Unsane (USA)
Inferno (1980)
... aka Dario Argento's Inferno

Suspiria (1977)
... aka Dario Argento's Suspiria (USA: promotional title)
... aka Suspiria - In den Krallen des Bösen (West Germany: poster title)
Profondo rosso (1975)
... aka Deep Red
... aka Deep Red Hatchet Murders
... aka Dripping Deep Red
... aka The Hatchet Murders
... aka The Sabre Tooth Tiger
Cinque giornate, Le (1973)
... aka The Five Days (USA: literal English title)
... aka The Five Days of Milan
Testimone oculare (1973) (TV) (uncredited)
... aka Eyewitness (International: English title)
... aka Porta sul buio: Testimone oculare, La (Italy: series title)
Tram, Il (1973) (TV) (as Sirio Bernadotte)
... aka Porta sul buio: Il tram, La (Italy: series title)
... aka The Tram (International: English title)
4 mosche di velluto grigio (1971)
... aka Four Flies on Grey Velvet (USA)
... aka Four Patches of Grey Velvet
... aka Quatre mouches de velours gris (France)
Gatto a nove code, Il (1971)
... aka Chat à neuf queues, Le (France)
... aka Neunschwänzige Katze, Die (West Germany)
... aka The Cat o' Nine Tails (USA)
Uccello dalle piume di cristallo, L' (1970)
... aka Bird with the Glass Feathers
... aka Geheimnis der schwarzen Handschuhe, Das (West Germany)
... aka Phantom of Terror
... aka Point of Terror (USA: alternative title)
... aka The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (USA)
... aka The Gallery Murders
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:19 am
Blair witch made me sleep with a pair of scissors very close to my bed at night and I hated dark corners.
The Descent is a modern scary classic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:21 am
I heartily agree with the person who talked about "The Wicker Man". What was so terrifying was that the protagonist brought about his own problems.
I was haunted by the image of the wicker man for a long time after I saw the movie.

Since I am not into religion, the Exorcist did not bother me on that level. What I DID find upsetting, was the scene where the girl is taken to the doctor, and he sticks a hypodermic needle into her neck. I found myself getting faint, went into the lobby, and laid down on the carpeting. I was not alone! Embarrassed
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:45 pm
For those of you who've seen "The Exorcist," and someone couldn't pay you to see it again:

Is it one of those things where you're glad you saw it but would never go through it again, or do you simply wish you never saw it at all? I'm intrigued by the movie but am not sure that I could handle it...

Thanks,
-m

I just about passed out when I viewed the "haunted car commercial" movie clip that's going around via email forwards...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:29 pm
I wish I'd never seen it. At least, 30 years ago, after three months of nghtly terror, I wish I'd never seen it. It fucked me up for most of 1974. Now of course, it doesn't matter but, you couldn't put a gun to my head and make me watch it again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:31 pm
It really didn't gross me out as much as "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein" which was, in 3-D, meant to gross one out. We once took the lady who ran the flower shop in an interior design center to the LA furniture mart Spring show and then to see that film. She got as far as the gigantic hedge clippers decapitating the man whose head would later be sewn onto the crazily constructed monster. I think she was either ducking under the seat or out in the lobby. We all laughed like it wouldnt' end.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:31 pm
material girl wrote:
Blair witch made me sleep with a pair of scissors very close to my bed at night and I hated dark corners.
The Descent is a modern scary classic.

Blair Witch was AWESOME!!! I imagine it was probably much better seeing it before all the hype got so crazy, which I did. Loved it.
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 02:46 pm
freddy vs. jason it was really terrible off i couldn't sleep 2 days Twisted Evil
0 Replies

wickedstar

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 04:43 pm
I couldn't really get into Blair Witch. It wasn't scary to me, it was actually kind of boring. I have been wanting to see susperia but havn't gotten the chance yet or I just havn't thought about it when I go to rent movies.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 02:46 am
Another film I thought, if not scary, unsettling was The Last Island (Gorris, 1990). Very different from The Blue Lagoon, or the TV series Lost
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 02:48 pm
Perhaps I've missed it being listed, but for me, "Jaws" was the scariest movie I ever saw. It's the only time the person eating popcorn in the row in front of me literally showered everyone when the severed head pops into view in the hole in the sunken boat.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 03:00 pm
I don't know what movie it was but when I was a kid I walked into the living room while my dad was watching a horror flick late at night (should have stayed in bed!) and just as I walked in there was a guy sitting, tied to a chair and another guy slit his thoat. It wasn't like slit his throad imagined. They showed it. Skin splitting, blood oozing, the yellow fat beneath the layers of skin. I had nightmares forever after that scene. I have no idea what movie it was or if it was even a horror but it scared the **** out of me.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 03:04 pm
I just saw Jaws last Monday night here in Bryant Park in Manhattan. it's kind of like a drive-in movie without the cars. Everyone brings blankets, wine, food, and they just camp out there on the grass, and then at dusk the movie starts. It is so much fun. Here's a photo of what it looks like...

http://www.alextehrani.com/portfolio/personal/hotterthanjuly/hotterthanjuly25.jpg

During Jaws, everybody cheered wildly for every death. When Brody sees the shark and then comes back in and tells Quint, "We're gonna need a bigger boat," that got a huge cheer too. Such a good time.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 09:11 pm
My cousin and I went to see "Jaws". TWO pregnant women sat in the same aisle that we were in and they jumped and howled and held their bellies and it was frightening just being around THEM!!
0 Replies

agonized blur

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:10 pm
I'd have to say The Shining was the scariest movie I've ever seen. Granted I saw it when I was about 7, but I never forgot the feeling of being that scared. It's the only movie I haven't been able to sit through. Well, the first time. I've seen it since but that first time will stay with me forever.

I wish that a movie these days could even come close to doing that to me. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:00 pm
Another movie I don't remember seeing listed here that was scarey for just plain weirdness and degradation was David Lynch's "Blue Velvet". That was one of those movies I couldn't shake outta my brain for at least a week after I first saw it. It was also another truly bizarre acting job by Dennis Hopper as the demented laughing gas freak, Frank Booth.
0 Replies