What was the Scariest Movie(s) of all time?

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
What was the Scariest Movie(s) that you have ever saw?

I mean movies that truly scared you. (not crummy horror movies to laugh at).

Brief plot summary please! (without giving everything away...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,103 • Replies: 119
No top replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:35 pm
I remember seeing Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby as a kid. Those scared me so bad, it has stayed with me to this day. Still mad at my parents for letting me see that stuff at such a young age! Very Happy

They may not be so scary if I saw them again today...?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
The Exorcist did it for me. And I was 18 when I saw it. Rocked my world. You couldn't PAY me enough to sit through it again. Well, it would have to be six figures at least ...
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
Well, depends of point of view Very Happy Movie that scared me most is Nightmare on Elm Street (is it Elm?), but that's because I was kid and that was my first real horror movie.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:38 pm
Rosemary's Baby scared the bejeeses outta me.
0 Replies

danload

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:44 pm
white snow and the 7 dwarfs Confused
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:47 pm
Alien was the first movie that made me scream out loud. Nope, change that, it was probably Jaws.

I read Rosemary's Baby and Exorcist because I was too young to see the movies. Shocked As if the books wouldn't give me nightmares too.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:19 pm
The Ring.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:40 pm
Aliens
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
The Shining. Blair Witch Project. (honestly, Blair seemed schizoid very scary/funny)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:46 pm
I second The Shining. That part where the kid is riding his bigwheel through the halls...over carpet...over hard floor...over carpet...over hardfloor...over carpet...and then those freaky little girls are just standing there. Freaky!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:23 pm
"The Exorcist"

When I saw this, I was very glad to be an atheist, because if I had believed that it represented reality to some degree, I probably wouldn't have slept for a week. Great book, too.
0 Replies

FisForFailure

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 07:42 pm
the ring ...............however its only scarry the first time and in a dark dark room
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 01:19 am
The formula for this genre movie are here
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31411
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 01:32 am
"The Thing"
The 1982 movie, "The Thing" starring Kurt Russell is scary. I don't know if it's the scariest movie of all time, but it's filled with fear and paranoia.
0 Replies

Abu Ishaq Al Juwayri

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:39 pm
environment, atmosphere and age seem to be critical factors that determine if a movie is scary or not.....

not that this is some new revelation or anything....

anyway, for me it was exorcist, and the shining....i was pretty young when i saw both....

you're right about the big-wheel scene.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:58 am
Re: "The Thing"
Debra_Law wrote:
The 1982 movie, "The Thing" starring Kurt Russell is scary. I don't know if it's the scariest movie of all time, but it's filled with fear and paranoia.

Probably not an astonishing revelation to you, but both this movie and its 1950s predecessor of the same name are based on the old short story, "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell Jr.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:02 am
Abu Ishaq Al Juwayri wrote:
environment, atmosphere and age seem to be critical factors that determine if a movie is scary or not.....

This was certainly true in the case of my viewing of "The Exorcist." I was in college in Ohio, and some friends and I saw it in a theater. Ohio gets very cold in the winter, and on this occasion it was bitterly cold out. We walked a couple of miles to the theater, and then because of some scheduling error that I forget the nature of, we had to wait outside in the cold for over an hour. By the time we got into the theater, I was completely in agony, and took about 15 minutes to thaw out. Perhaps this has something to do with the effect that the movie had on me.

By the way, welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 08:34 am
I kind of had the same experience, Brandon. Art school, NYC, January 1974, standing in line outside the theatre for about an hour, chilled to the bone, smoking dope, finally got inside and...
0 Replies

veni vidi vici

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
I think the scariest film ever was by far 'The Wicker Man'. It wasn't gory or anything like that but it just had you screaming at the TV pleading with that copper to run whilst he could cuz you knew what was gonna happen! If i was him when they cornered me on the cliff edge i would've jumped just so they couldn't have the satisfaction of killing me!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies