What was the Scariest Movie(s) of all time?

aidan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:55 am
"The Stepfather" - the first one - I think there have been several sequels that are not nearly as scary. This film was based on a true story that took place about two towns over when I was a kid. A hideous betrayal of trust is what makes it so scary to me.

"See No Evil" with Mia Farrow again - she was in a lot of scary ones. Blind girl pursued by homicidal maniac after discovering she's alone in a house with her massacred family....hmmm, that seems to be a theme with what I find terrifying...never put two and two together like that before.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:13 am
Some previous opinions on scarey films:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2665&start=0
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:37 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
When I was a little kid, the scene from Twilight Zone: The Movie where the girl has no mouth gave me nightmares.

Nietzsche, whatever you do, don't click this Arrow http://www.cheriecurrie.com/TZ01.jpg

Twisted Evil

I clicked the link ... and needless to say - very kind of you. Embarrassed
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:37 am
Das Boot

Deliverance

And if you are a little kid, Wizard of Oz and Snow White.

I was terrified of those witches and the thunderstorm too...

And walked out on Deliverance and kept having to go to the bathroom during Das Boot...fine film but TOO GUT WRENCHING...
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:02 pm
In looking over the past few pages, I had three movies pop into my mind from waaaayyy back (1950s?): the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Invaders from Mars," and one I remember nothuing about other than it did scare me - "X the Unknown."

I was brought up on Saturday afternoon double features at the local theater. These are a few that stick out.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:23 pm
It's amazing. "Invasion...." Was a favorite of many of us, and there was no blood, and in a sense no deaths. Shocked 'House Of Wax" was my favorite by Vincent Price.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:31 pm
More frigtening than Psycho for me was The Phantom of the Opera with Claude Rains. I saw it as a young child and couldn't wear half a mask for years---and the very word, "acid," raised my hairs, until years later when I learned of lysergic acid.
0 Replies

F r o s t

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:01 pm
I dont think there is a realy scary movie. All the flics that we use to call scary movies r just films that we ve seen them in our childhood and they r stucked to our minds as scary. in nowadays i dont think that there is a film can get someone scared. BUT there r a lot of film with extra creepy atmosphere like : the ring , texas chainsaw ( the new one ) , blair witch and others!!! HORROR FLICS RULE....
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:57 pm
JLNobody wrote:
More frigtening that Psycho for me was The Phantom of the Opera with Claude Rains. I saw it as a young child and couldn't wear half a mask for years---and the very word, "acid," raised my hairs, until years later when I learned of lysergic acid.

And that lysergic stuff has been known to raise hairs and cause some scary scenes...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:13 pm
Yes, it's been reputed to conjure both heaven and hell.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 03:12 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Yes, it's been reputed to conjure both heaven and hell.

You probably really really wouldn't want to take that stuff and watch a really scary scary movie.

That would not be good.

Then again, perhaps you'd just laugh at the preposterousness of the movie? :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 03:43 pm
Hey, but I have done what is supposedly the ultimate trip, as a matter of fact at the Hollywood Cinedome, of smoking some weed and watching "2001." Can't imagine any movie on acid, although I've seen some that the director had to be on LSD.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 04:05 pm
Mota (weed) is ideal for APPRECIATING the absurdities of life.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
...or the wonders of the universe, even when they are merely in your own patio garden.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:04 am
Exactly so. It's a great shift of perspective, refreshing and, in a sense, liberating, i.e., to realize how all is fundamentally a matter of perspective.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:29 pm
Carvival of the Dead or Carnival of the Damned. Can't remember if they were dead or damned. I think both.

Saw this as a really little kid. a carload of people drown in a river, except one woman who escaped. OR HAD SHE?

At the end all these dead people were dancing with her at a fair.

I think that one would scare me today.......
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
Chai Tea,

I think the actual title was "Carnival of Souls". The original was a black and white film made in the sixties. It was remade as a color film in the 1990's.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 01:25 pm
I do believe you're right!

I'm talking the B&W version.

Boy that was scary, huh?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 01:41 pm
The black and white "Carnival of Souls" is a film classic. I did not see the remake. Apparently the remake got mostly bad reviews.
0 Replies

Amay

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte with Betty Davis and Olivia deHavilland was very spine tingling the first time I watched it.

Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum is another really good scary movie, even though it might would fall under a suspense category for some.
0 Replies